Wire Routing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
I’m in the process of correcting a wiring nightmare in my engine room and want to organize all the wiring and make it neat.
I’m installing a raceway and not sure if there’s a regulation or rule about putting the DC wires in the same raceway with the AC wires.
Anyone know what is the correct way ???

I don't see an issue. ABYC is who suggests such standards.

I haven't seen a copy of the ABYC standards document since the 2008 update. But, the language in that version had been there for years:

"When AC and DC conductors are run together, the AC conductors shall be sheathed, bundled, or otherwise kept separate from the DC conductors."

I googled for that specific language and I see it on Anchor's site and Jamestown's site, so I don't think it has changed:
-- American Boat & Yacht Council Standards for Boats E-11 | Ancor
-- https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=79

The fear is someone working on one wire bundle DC ?

and not realizing that 120v or 240V is alive ready to bite.

Thanks for the information. I’ll keep the few AC wires labeled and bundled together in the wire duct.

While it's probably not an issue, AC wiring has amperage limitations when in enclosed chases due to heat dissipation. Going through a 120 degree engine room only increases that issue. Probably the only circuits that would come into play would be air conditioning run off the generator while underway. Also a good idea to keep control and electronics wiring separate from the AC wiring due to the risk of AC pulse noise interference.

Ted

If wires run together a colored set of spiral wire binder (auto supply) will gather each voltage to remind you , as well as make the install neater.

I'm with Ted in thinking the reasoning has to do with AC generating noise on the DC. They have similar rules for that reason under NEC that drive folks wiring inverters on shore nuts.

They could also be worried about DC voltage drop heating up AC wires but, I'd hope none of the wires would get that not. Most often all of the wire is rates for the same tempurature.

Last edited:
I’m in the process of correcting a wiring nightmare in my engine room and want to organize all the wiring and make it neat.
I’m installing a raceway and not sure if there’s a regulation or rule about putting the DC wires in the same raceway with the AC wires.
Anyone know what is the correct way ???

When you say "raceway" do you mean an open tray, such as commonly found in IT server rooms and network distribution? Regardless, as others have said, you want to keep them well separated and marked.

I like to keep the use of conduit to an absolute minimum (basically just for passing through bulkheads and floors/ decking) and certainly wouldn't have both AC and DC in the same conduit.

If wires run together a colored set of spiral wire binder (auto supply) will gather each voltage to remind you , as well as make the install neater.

Great idea FF but I find a split loom much easier to apply.

Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom