Mainship 395

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Does anyone own or have experience with this Mainship model?

I owned its predecessor, the 34T which as noted above is the same hull and mechanicals but with a newer single Yanmar engine.

If you have to have second berth this might work, but I like the galley down and open layout of the 34T with a single queen berth for a couple and if necessary a pullout couch in the main salon.

The 395 is probably a little heavier than the 34T which will negatively affect performance.

David

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I`d found the Sea Mag review,and some other material online.Unusual layout, keeping an open mind until I see one tomorrow. Water tankage per the specs of 70 gals/265L seems inadequate. By contrast holding tank for the fw Vacuflush is generous at 34gals/129L.

Mainship changed the 34T to give it a second stateroom like the 390 and 400. I don't think they made very many of these before the recession did them in. If you like the second stateroom, and can't find a 395 that's available, look at the other two. The 390 was the most popular boat Mainship ever built. The hull was designed by John Cherubini. He designed the original Mainship 34 I, II, and III along with the Nantucket series. I didn't realize he had anything to do with the 390, but his son and nephew work at out marina and the told me that a few months ago. John also designed the Cherubini sailboat line, arguably the most seaworthy sailing vessels made.
John

Mainship are uncommon here,but at present there is a 34 with twin 200 Yanmars (squeezy?)and this 2012 395 with single Yanmar ?6LY 385hp, and < 500 hours up for sale.Never been on one,interior design seems novel, ER looks hard to access. Genset seems to be part accessed from the lazarette, not sure until I see it. I read in another thread genset boats start with one and build the boat around it.
Caltexflanc said in that thread chine slap drove him out of the bow cabin. Any other experiences on that? I should be able to tell looking at the chine design,surely they`d have fixed that.

FWIW, in a boat that size, or our current one which is slightly larger, we'd prefer only a single stateroom... so individual spaces in the rest of the boat can be larger.

Probably depends on normal crew size or tolerance for quests, of course, but our second stateroom is used mostly just for storage, the cat's litter box, etc.

-Chris

Chine slap can be an issue I guess, But I don't think its more of an issue than it would be on any other semi displacement boat. Only once that I can remember did it keep me awake in our 390 and that night I moved to the sleeper sofa.
John

Just back from seeing the boat, I see why TF members like their Mainships. The living areas, fwd cabin, bathroom, FB, all good, boat in nice condition generally. Negatives are small cockpit(balanced by an excellent FB),impaired reverse docking vision etc from lower helm, both manageable, but 300L of water and a fw vacuflush head is not. Our current boat has a generous 1000L,my better half uses around 1L rinsing each plate and glass etc, and negative comment by me doesn`t help.
So 300L is a dealbreaker. Can I can increase capacity, no obvious site,tight below decks. Maybe increase the size/height of the existing 2 tanks in the same location either side of the ER,by replacement or adding an extra tank on top,with/without a support frame.
Has anyone done this or found another solution?

On our 390 we store the dinghy and engine on the flybridge. (dingy is deflated). When traveling I store the dinghy on the swim platform similar to what was in your attached video. When we were looking at Mainships originally I saw one that had a hot tub built onto the flybridge. From the size of it i expect it had a 150-200 gallon capacity. The 390 and 395 flybridge are similar in size and the supports are the same so if it could handle a full hot tub with people I expect it could handle your dinghy even if it is cantilevered. I'm surprised by the fresh water capacity. 390's about 550 liters.
John

Back
Top Bottom