2019 cruising season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Last year I was planning on cruising up the Ohio River. For a couple of reasons it never happened, one was the flooding and the concern over marinas that suffered damage and may not be available. The 2nd was not being able to get anyone to go along, the family members who usually go along have kids old enough to play sports, a friend from the marina decided when it got down to it he couldn’t go and be away from home, his only expenses would 1/2 of food. He didn’t want to leave his home empty while he was gone. I single hand a lot but on a long cruise I prefer to have someone along to handle lines and such. This year no matter what I’am going somewhere and I’ll find someone to ride along. I’ll possibly find different friends to go for a few days each. If I do single hand I’ll leave the center console, towing it is another thing that requires a second person to handle the tow gear when getting ready to lock.

I'm planning a little trip myself; Tn 546 to Cumberland 250 or so, and back; with just a little jaunt on the Ohio. Single hand with the occasional 'no clue' guest, no dink. Probably May and June.

Kentucky Lake is on my list of destinations that I would like to cruise. I imagine I could take a whole season and not see all there is to see, if I get down that direction I may never return to the upper.

Kentucky Lake is on my list of destinations that I would like to cruise. I imagine I could take a whole season and not see all there is to see, if I get down that direction I may never return to the upper.

Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are great cruising grounds. If you decide to go and want some recommendations, shoot me an email.

Paul

River,

Sounds like you need a girlfriend. Take her with. Lots of advantages..... they'll cook for you, clean up, make the bed, do laundry, help run the boat, help you launch the dinghy.

And they have other benefits.....

However, don't get greedy.... one is all you need.

So, Seevee, What planet do you live on? Think that I can get asylum? I have a GF, but .... I'd better shut up.

Back to B.C. Canada and SE Alaska for ASD. Admiral wants to see Sitka and Red Bluff Bay, maybe Glacier Bay. The other place she want to see is Ford's Terror. Currently on the hard getting prepared.

So, Seevee, What planet do you live on? Think that I can get asylum? I have a GF, but .... I'd better shut up.

Wifey B: Definitely he's not on the same planet I'm on. Are the oven, range, vacuum, washer, and dryer too complex for him to figure out? :mad:

River,

Sounds like you need a girlfriend. Take her with. Lots of advantages..... they'll cook for you, clean up, make the bed, do laundry, help run the boat, help you launch the dinghy.

And they have other benefits.....

However, don't get greedy.... one is all you need.

My wife goes along for a couple of weeks but that is about a long as her endurance will allow her to be away from gkids and her gardens. Kids and gkids go along for about the same amount of time at one stretch. If I would get a girlfriend she would probably have to own a boat, my wife is rather narrow minded about such things.

This summer will be the first since we got Badger that we aren’t going on a summer holiday. Our daughter is off to university next fall, so I took my holidays from work to coincide with that. So, lots of weekend trips this year I guess.

I plan to spend 2-3 months up on the northern British Columbia Coast (basically everything from Prince Rupert south). I singlehand, but will likely run into friends here and there! Should be a good summer :)

This Summer we are staying close to home getting Venture ready to head to South Florida next Fall. Very pumped about having 18 months of boating weather once Spring finally arrives in the NorthEast. Temps in the teens this AM in NJ. Just does not work for me.

John and Miri
VENTURE
MMSI: 338331199

I plan to spend 2-3 months up on the northern British Columbia Coast (basically everything from Prince Rupert south). I singlehand, but will likely run into friends here and there! Should be a good summer :)

Don't know if you have this book, but it's a gold mine of information for BC's north coast:

https://www.amazon.ca/Exploring-North-Coast-British-Columbia/dp/0938665804

If you make it up to Kitimat at the top end of Douglas Channel, contact us if you want a ride into town :thumb:

** (Several computer charts have things wrong...MK Bay Marina is at the north east corner, just north of Kitamaat Village and just south of the entrance to Minette Bay)

Last edited:
I'm probably cruising tributaries of the Chesapeake this summer. Have a few boat projects that will keep me near the boatyard. Want everything ready to cruise the New England coast in 2020.

Ted

Wifey B: Our year has sort of been messed up for cruising although still lucky and far more than most so no complaints. We have commitments in SC so intend to move by boat to that area and then cruise along the coast of NC, SC, and GA and in the Chesapeake. That's after completing air trips as currently in Rome, a spring break (her final spring break in grad school) trip for Tabitha, and then taking Britney to Anguilla for her 21st birthday. We let them choose.

Did get out in a boat today. A 1973 Riva Rudy Junior. Gondola after dinner tonight. :)

He lives on Mars - but not sure about how much water he has for the boat.

Grey Goose going places

Our plan for 2019 is to change marinas. We’re moving The Goose from Grand Haven MI to Bay City, across the state and over the top. Approximately 450 miles. Taking two slow weeks to make the trip and plan to enjoy every minute.

I'm in the same "BOAT"

Sounds like there are a bunch of cruisers out there that can't find a mate who wants to be Admiral of a cruising yacht. Me included. If anyone knows of a cruising matchmaker site specific to the Chesapeake Bay, rush me the info. Do we have the wrong, misguided dreams? Or are they conecting with the higher end yachts?

Cruising

We will be leaving Knoxville, TN early April, cruising to Apalachicola, FL and return end of May. Nice way to enjoy spring.

Sounds like there are a bunch of cruisers out there that can't find a mate who wants to be Admiral of a cruising yacht. Me included. If anyone knows of a cruising matchmaker site specific to the Chesapeake Bay, rush me the info. Do we have the wrong, misguided dreams? Or are they conecting with the higher end yachts?

Wifey B: Not just cruisers. You see the difficulty by the number of dating web sites there are. Someplace like Match or Harmony or some of the age grouped ones might work for some. We have a single male friend captain and recently a female captain wanted to go with him as a mate or second. He was excited and they did a couple of runs together, but, alas, she was only interested in work, not in a relationship. Meeting people with common interests is so hard. Hubby and I feel bad for those looking and we don't have answers as neither of us was ever in another relationship and we have very little dating experience. :)

My wife and I still work, but I am getting closer to pulling the rip cord and becoming a full time boat hobo. This Summer I plan on doing a month at our offshore islands. In the water, getting wet is the primary focus.

SWFL to Ottawa Canada via ICW, Hudson River, Erie Canal and Rideau Canal, then back via Champlain Canal. Leaving Friday if the enclosure is done. Kind of a half Great Loop but 4500ish miles.

We single female skippers have the same issue! That’s just the way things go, I guess :-(

There is a real possibility with all the flooding on the rivers. About all of the ones I’am familiar with that any long distance cruising will start after the middle of the year.

Last year I was back onboard the boat in mid February. This year I’am still waiting for the flood waters to recede. The main problem is the marina lost water service because of construction on a new bridge across the river. The repairs can’t start until the water drops to 18’ on the gauge, 21.5’ now. It is projected to drop to 20’ on April 19th. I have 3 or 4 projects to do that should of been finished or well on the way by now.

Last year I was back onboard the boat in mid February. This year I’am still waiting for the flood waters to recede. The main problem is the marina lost water service because of construction on a new bridge across the river. The repairs can’t start until the water drops to 18’ on the gauge, 21.5’ now. It is projected to drop to 20’ on April 19th. I have 3 or 4 projects to do that should of been finished or well on the way by now.

Where's your boat?

Wifey B: Tomorrow we start north on our first major cruise of the year although we've put many miles on in FL and the Bahamas. :dance::dance::dance:

We're so looking forward to it as other things became priority and we didn't get to go to the Caribbean. Well, went for a week, but not on our boat. Will spend some time in SC and NC and then later to the Chesapeake. We're all so happy it's about to start. You'd think as much as we've cruised we wouldn't miss it so and wouldn't be so excited, but you'd be wrong. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom