Project #flybridgedelete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
After a year and a half with our Bluewater 40 Pilothouse we've decided to delete the flybridge. In the interest of sharing DIY knowledge I thought I'd document the project a bit here for others. I'm also sure I'll have questions along the way so I'm grateful for forum wisdom when needed.

I'm sure many of you are probably thinking "That's Bananas!" but for us the flybridge needed to go. Here are a few of our reasons:

1. Functional. The fly bridge helm was a dealer (or PO) "bolt-on" style installed on the back edge of the PH roof with a small bench seat installed directly behind it. This relocated the mast aft directly behind the bench seat. Unlike typical "over-the-pilothouse" fly bridges, our FB installation placed the helm so far back on the boat it’s essentially useless as a helm position (zero visibility to the bow or side decks). It's also to small to comfortably sit more than a person up there. Finally, we have great visibility in the PH so we always drive, dock, lock and maneuver from the lower helm.

2. Structural. The installation moved the mast back about four feet and added a fiberglass bench seat over an under-supported section of the salon roof. Over the years this has caused a deformation of the roofline which has contributed to deck issues. Since we need to de-teak and repair the boat deck, flybridge was always going to need come off.

3. Usability. The placement of the seat and mast essentially cuts the boat deck in half so we're always working around it to use the boat deck for a table and chairs, etc. BW40s have a very small cockpit so the boat deck is our only outdoor space when at anchor or visiting a marina. We also store our dinghy on the boat deck so between the FB and the dinghy there is no room up there. Furthermore the placement of the helm cuts the PH roof in half and we'd like to store SUPs and kayaks up there.

4. Aesthetics. When I say the flybridge is a "bolt-on" it's looks like it too. I love the look of these "salty" little PH trawlers and the "bolt-on" nature of the FB always bothered me. I've also not seen another BW with a FB and other BW owner I've asked thought deleting it made sense.

5. Simplicity. Deleting the FB simplifies things like electronics, gauges, wiring, etc .

6. Future. If we keep the boat for a long time we have considered adding paravanes. This will require a mast in it's original position (over a main bulkhead).

Over the last couple of days I was able to remove everything (a benefit of being "bolted-on"). Next up will be de-teaking the boat deck and re-skinning the PH roof.

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2740.jpg
    IMG_2740.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2755.jpg
    IMG_2755.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Hmmm, looks like some of the images changed rotation on upload. Sorry about that.

A few of us see little need for a flybridge except for use as an open attic for storage.

That wiring... that's a special bit of funky.

Airstream, your reasoning is solid. Wow, quite the undertaking! Look forward to following the progress.

Awesome project. Thanks for posting.

Progress report (32 hours of work so far) - 95% of the teak decking has been removed as has the fiberglass. We're finding that the majority of the glass wasn't bonded well to the decking. This seemed to be related to a poor job wetting out the decking and then the glass from the manufacturer. In a sense it was a good thing because it made removal easy, but we found about six orange sized sections of glass left completely dry. Certainly plenty of places for water to get to the decking. In general, the most severe damage is near areas where we found dry glass.

We also found some strange previous repairs. The biggest one was a hatch in the middle of the boat deck (the teak decking covered/obscured it). This corresponds with the interior framing being different than other BW40PH's I've been on. We suspect a PO had one or both engines or the genny out. Whoever did this work did a poor job as they cut the main lateral and longitudinal support beams out to "frame" in a hatch. This structural "modification" and the additional loads from bench seat and the mast stepped over it explains the deformation in boat deck (a visually noticeable swale mid-deck).

We found a number of repairs as well in the form of some "scabbed in" modern plywood (non marine) in the form of some poorly fit patches here and there. More evidence of repairs - possibly related to the hatch. In any case I hope the PO didn't pay professional rates for this work....it's below marine standards in materials and workmanship.

Finally I spent some time chasing the worse rot all the way to the edge and documented the structure. Fortunately the beams and underlying structure are in good shape with minimal “punky” layers. One of the benefits of the beams being made out of solid mahogany. I also could sort out how the house was constructed (diagram below).

So what's next?

Despite being able to “get away with” patching - our plan is to remove and replace the entire deck. For our own peace of mind and for the next owners (whenever we sell her) to have another 30+ years with a solid deck. I also think this will reduce our labor significantly when fairing and painting the new deck.

Found some exterior grade plywood scabbed in near this hatch.

IMG_2808.jpg

A slightly better repair using marine ply and well wetted out.

IMG_2810.jpg

Yowza! This is the worst of it.

IMG_2809.jpg

Nothing like a hole in your boat to motivate replacing everything!

IMG_2806.jpg

After some forensics I was able to document the construction between the house and deck.

IMG_2816.JPG

Last edited:
Think your logic is very sound! When looking at different Independence (my boat), the ones built by Hans Christian had flybridges and the Cherubinis for the most part don't. My conclusion was that with the excellent visibility from a pilothouse boat and the wonderful ventilation of two open side doors, there was no significant gain for all the flybridge complications. Certainly a poorly positioned one with all that extra weight up there, is very easy to justify removing.

Ted

Thanks Ted. With it gone we already are amazed at how much space we have up there now. Like you, with a proper raised PH, the FB was more of place to steer from when underway, on nice days, in a straight line...often alone :(

The upside is that we are going to turn the FB into a rolling bar for our Yacht Club! Trying to sort out how to turn the old Morse controls into keg taps.

Another upside is that engine and transmission controls more much more freely when they aren't moving extra cables and levers.

Ted

The upside is that we are going to turn the FB into a rolling bar for our Yacht Club! Trying to sort out how to turn the old Morse controls into keg taps.

I liked you from the moment I saw you.

... My conclusion was that with the excellent visibility from a pilothouse boat and the wonderful ventilation of two open side doors, there was no significant gain for all the flybridge complications. ...

Pilothouse with good visibility, port and starboard doors, and no flybridge. :dance::dance:

Removed the railings and stantions, cut in around the trim. Next step will be to tent the boat deck and start removing the plywood.

IMG_2846.jpg

57385723772__0A8086A1-93E1-4315-B060-8C0C5C8CA96C.jpg

Next step will be to tent the boat deck and start removing the plywood.
Airstream345:

Does this mean you will be roof-less until you re-glass the roof?

Your photos show the extraordinary extent of the work you have undertaken; well done!

Cheers,
Pea

Does this mean you will be roof-less until you re-glass the roof?

Yes, there will be a period of time with no roof over the salon. Fortunately we’re under cover and today’s project is to build a “tent” from some clamps, pvc and plastic sheeting.

Good for you Airstream, you might be able to add a big solar field up there.

Back
Top Bottom