View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
angus99
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Thanks for all the ideas.

A PO had trays under the stuffing boxes with hoses attached that delivered the leakage to an all-the-way-forward depression in the bilge. From there, an auto bilge pump routed it all the way aft to a shower sump. So, the leakage essentially ran the entire length of the ER twice, pooling in the bilge at the forwardmost point. Also, the collection trays leaked and the long hose runs would clog if not cleaned regularly.

With the system I’m installing, it’s about a 2 ft hose run to a shower sump that sits between the shaft logs. If the stringers didn’t run between the sump and the roller trays, I could almost gravity feed it to the shower sump.

I bought extra deep roller trays and the Whale pumps sit perfectly in them.

There is no possibility of an uncontrolled oil or fuel pump out because the Whales only draw water from the roller trays, not the larger bilge.

Repacking, again, might have solved this problem, but I’m tired of screwing with it. This is the third time I’ve repacked or had it repacked and they either leak or run hot. If this doesn’t work, it may be time to consider dripless.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote