Cross over to Bahamas with winds out of the south

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k9medic

Vessel Make
420AC Sea Ray
I'm getting ready to cross over to the Bahamas this coming Monday.

I've done several crossings but they have always been in the sumer time. I know not to cross when the winds are out of the north but what wind speeds would be considered comfortable with winds out of the south?

For example, Windy shows winds out of the south at 15kts building to 20kts by the time I'm in the stream. Waves are forecasted at 3' with a 5 second period.

Thoughts?

It usually pays to go early before the winds kick up.
I have crossed the stream 60 times with the wind from all quadrants: South can be ok if you are not pointing South of East, then it can be a bit lumpy.
You should be ok with a 42’ Sea Ray, I crossed in smaller boats, last weekend in my Albin 28, about 3 hours each way, had SE winds crossing East and East winds crossing West.
Where are you crossing from?

Heading out of Stuart to the Abacos via White Sand Ridge.

We will be either pulling a 19' boat behind us and going at 8kts or jumping up to speed, running each boat seperately until we get on the banks.

The plan is to leave Stuart around 0530-0600.

There are many people on TF who have far more crossing to the Bahamas experience than I. So with that as a primary caveat, here are my thoughts:
I looked at Windy also, the ECMWF. I see your winds you mentioned, 12 kts building to 18 kts.
I looked at the wind wave forecast. My experience is that the wave forecast is usually so wrong that i don't look at it for my planning.

I have also found that off shore winds are often 25% to 50% stronger than forecast and virtually never significantly lighter than forecast.

Sunday night the winds are already 12+ knots. That means for me that the sea will already be building thru Monday night.

Five years ago, when I returned in February, the winds were southerly at 18 to 22 knots. This built seas at 6 to 8 feet. I did not have the paravanes at the time, so I could not maintain my desired course of 270 degrees without rolling to death, so I had to go 310 and ended up at Ft. Lauderdale.

My guess at this point is that my Monday afternoon, winds will actually be 15 to 20 knots, with seas, 4 to 6, with occasional 8 footers.

MON looks fine; the winds are in a bit of a transition. Late TUES thru end of week are trouble.

I'd look hard at leaving a few days early if possible. Monday looks like it may be OK with the transitioning that DD mentioned but, if you were to get stuck or have a problem you are gonna get smoked shortly there after. However, It's still a little far out for accurate weather forecasting and decision making. I'd either go early or be prepared to postpone.

And to your question, a winter crossing is no different than a summer crossing, just colder wind and water! Winter weather makes a miserable crossing, that much more miserable! But, the other side is still just as nice! Either way, safe travels and we'll see ya there!

I would not want to tow that 19 or even run it solo unless you have good conditions. The 42 will be a little bumpy. The 19 will get beat.

Monday does not look too good for this plan, looks better earlier. Fri and Sat look pretty good, maybe tues. Still pretty far out weather wise to make solid plans. I was looking at Windy.

I’m prepared to delay if I have to. I’d rather leave the boat in Stuart and come back than push out and lose the boat all together.

Passage and windy seem to contradict each other right now.

JPL_0.png

This is valuable for the FL southbound coastal passage.

We were very surprised to see how much the big boat knocked down the sea for the tender. We towed our 23' Bay Boat and the seas were more than forecast. Called for 2-4 with 10-15 out of the SE. Turned out to be more like 3-5 with 15-20 out of the ESE. But, it wasn't a problem. The big boat made a pad for the tender to ride on. Still a little rough for the tender but, nothing like we thought it would be...…. HoneyBaby just camped out on the couch!

That’s what we encountered in July when we crossed and took Bluewater over the bow of the big boat. The 16 foot boat that we were pulling just floated right along.

I'm sure U guys will have a fine tow; And, I'll be doing a lot of towing with a 17' behind. One of the things I consider is CSSC. Chloride Stainless Steel Corrosion. and/or SS crevice corrosion. The typical bow ring is 316, which is not a great alloy for CSSC. As the towed boat increases in size, and the tow increases in speed, the sportfish guys change out that eye for a reinforced tow eye, I believe a weldment with a number of attach bolts on both sides. These guys are towing 35' CC boats at 30 knts.

So did you cross or not? Sure is nice out there, where ever it is!!

Not yet. Just started day 2 headed down the west coast of Florida.

Tomorrow and Sunday we will cross the Okeechobee.

Looks like the weather is even more confusing now.

Monday showing 3-4 with 15kts from the south

Tuesday showing 1-2 with 10kts from the north.

Not sure which is worse!

IMG_4590.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. k9. Stay out of the Gulf Stream during ANY winds with a north vector! WNW to ENE. Perhaps I'm over cautious but...

There is a cold front approaching in the mon-tues-wed time frame and it is pretty normal to get a S before the arrival, then a strong N after. Not so much confusing, but rather dynamic. The timing of the front arrival becomes rather critical.

I never like trying to time a weather window when conditions are rapidly changing.

Monday and Tues don't look too bad for a crossing according to Windy, but it goes strong north after that for a number of days. Don't get caught in that!

I would not want to tow that 19 or even run it solo unless you have good conditions. The 42 will be a little bumpy. The 19 will get beat.

Monday does not look too good for this plan, looks better earlier. Fri and Sat look pretty good, maybe tues. Still pretty far out weather wise to make solid plans. I was looking at Windy.

Yep. We’ve towed our 11 foot whaler across the gulf stream with our 42 four times. We prefer to wait for less than 10 knots predicted, with no N in it when towing a tender.

Think about having a tow line come unhitched or break and having to recover the tender in the seas that are predicted. If you feel comfortable pulling that off in the predicted conditions, then that’s the time to go. But, it is so worth the pain in the butt to tow it once you get it there! We’re taking our 22center console next trip. :)

Yep. We’ve towed our 11 foot whaler across the gulf stream with our 42 four times. We prefer to wait for less than 10 knots predicted, with no N in it when towing a tender.

Think about having a tow line come unhitched or break and having to recover the tender in the seas that are predicted. If you feel comfortable pulling that off in the predicted conditions, then that’s the time to go. But, it is so worth the pain in the butt to tow it once you get it there! We’re taking our 22center console next trip. :)

funny you mention that one. I spent some time at night looking for a lost dink in the GS. It broke off a 120nm tow due to chafing. A 13 BW has about zero radar reflectivity.

Double tow: 42 trawler, 27' power boat, then 13 BW. I was sleeping in the 27'

Last edited:
Ouch!

The current plan is to have my buddy fall in behind me driving the 19’ across. We will hook back up once on the banks.

I'd cross without hesitation in the 42'. I would be very hesitant towing the 19' across though but would probably do so in the conditions forecast if I was into such things. No way I would run a 19' across to the Bahamas. Not going to do so. Too many tragedies on boats in that size range running offshore and trying to cross.

Ouch!

The current plan is to have my buddy fall in behind me driving the 19’ across. We will hook back up once on the banks.

I like that plan better than towing.

Both boats can run at their happy speeds and keep in touch via radio.

Can always put it under tow if need be.

Last edited:
Coming into Stuart now. Weather forecast seems to be improving.

Current forecast is 2-3 with an 8 second period!

Have a great trip!

Take some video if possible. I’m always interested in seeing different crossing conditions.

Coming into Stuart now. Weather forecast seems to be improving.

Current forecast is 2-3 with an 8 second period!

The crossing window is going to close on Tuesday for the remainder of the week.

We rolled out this morning at 0500 with heavy fog. It started to break up just past the jetties though.

Picked up speed to about 16kts and headed for White Sand Ridge. My buddy was behind me in my 19’ boat (named Lamont after Sanford and Son because my wife thinks is a piece of junk.)

It was an easy 2-3 for the first hour and steadily built up from there. Averaged out around 4’ at about 5 seconds. There were times we were surfing the waves and times we were falling back on it with the big boat.

Lamont just bobbed along with my buddy at the helm.

We had to run fast for another hour or so once in the banks just to get some slower wave action where we could hook up Lamont to the mother ship.

We’ve been running at 8kts the rest of the way. Now in the Sea of Abaco and just a moderate chop.

Current arrival time to GTC is right at 8:30pm tonight.

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

Back
Top Bottom