Backup cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All, my apology for not including the quote message in reply....I am sloooowly gaining posting experience.....

I was just going to post a Boat US article about the same thing. This one has a video that's a bit hokey.

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2019/february/raymarine-docksense-system.asp

Lots of things have to be integrated to make that work. The common element in most demos thus far seems to be IPS pod drives. They're nice but not without their costs compared to traditional outdrives or shaft props. S

2 years with these now
2 cameras and 7 inch screen under $100
Also work well in the ER
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-LCD-M...trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219&redirect=mobile

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting topic.

Besides ease of installation, is there any performance differences between wired and wireless systems?

I have the same problem on our Golden Star 37 trawler: there's no aft viability from the lower helm and you can't easily see the side of the dock from the upper helm.

I've a 2010 Raymarine MFD and a camera can be matched to it via Ethernet cable, but my preference would be Bluetooth or Wi-Fi camera connection with an Iphone, Ipad and/or Windows computer. With the exception so far of radar display, all three devices have apps for everything else I can do on the Raymarine and the Raymarine is becoming my least favorite chart plotter option.

Any Bluetooth or Wi-Fi camera suggestions?

This,
, looks to be pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the lead, Davb1947.

I went through this last year and landed on a GoPro broadcasting to my Ipad. Its wireless (bluetooth), does not require wiring for power (both have batteries), and you can record for post docking review. Also, I already owned both, so cost = $0.

I also have an issue with visuals off the stern. I added a back up camera from advanced auto parts. It’s wireless. Supplied 12v power from stern nav light and power for the display at the helm by using a 12 v cigarette adapter. Simple, cheap and effective. Only disadvantage is the size of the display, but it’s adaquate.

Look at rv cameras. Some are wireless made to be outside, reverse view and wider view angles.

Should fit the bill well.

Cline,
I installed a regular CCTV camera (wide lens) and pulled the Siamese cable from the helm to where I mounted the camera(s). I did not go wireless. The cables end in RCA which I added a BNC adapter to and connected it to the video inputs into my Simrad chartplotter. This gives me the option of having a partial screen of the video image or a full 16" screen if needed.
I do not use the camera for "backing up". When I am in a close quarters situation, it is not the time I want to be looking down at my screens, I want to be looking out the windows. The other issues with cameras, is that I would need one on each rear corner of boat and pointed down. I tried a automotive rear camera mounted on the transom but it's field of view is just not wide enough.
When backing up, I have my wife at the stern of the boat with a Sena headset to guide me. The camera is very good for watching for boats coming up behind me.

Great advice! I would like to add that anything wireless should not be on a boat that goes offshore. Why ask for that kind of trouble? Hardwired is the way to go.

I have a backup camera on my Nordic Tug and find it pretty useless. They give no sense of depth perception and the wide-angle lens distorts perspective. Just look out the pilothouse and trust real-life.

I have cheap cameras I liberated from our old RV. They work, but the admiral has no confidence in the captain. Hard to concentrate on backing when somebody is screaming ‘you’re going to hit the dock!!!” Sigh. 20 feet out. Going straight aft.
My problem is the dinghy blocks aft view. Short of leaning out the windows on the bridge, it is backing by feel.

backup camera

You might check out this simplistic camera available from Costco....

Attachments

• IMG_6439.jpg
    IMG_6439.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 40
I'm leaning toward using a surveillance recorder. Dahua and others are now making hybrid recorders that support both analog (of multiple formats) and IP cameras. I've been wanting to have both live viewing AND on-going recording.

My old Furuno MFD12's only support analog input, or a limited number of IP cameras (configured in very specific ways). That and each MFD12 has it's own analog video inputs, they're not shared. So if I want to share any analog video camera inputs I'd have to split them and send the wire to each MFD12.

I may pick up an XVR and experiment with taking the VGA output most support and converting that back down into an analog signal my MFDs could take. Realizing, of course, that I'd have no MFD control over the XVR. Most have an IR input and a cheap IR remote that lets you toggle between cameras or navigate through menus.

Sort of a ramshackle arrangement of pieces but it'd possibly get me what I'm after... multiple live cameras and on-going recording and display on (at least one of) my old MFDs.

I haven't looked at the various links here, but presumably there are inexpensive battery-operated Bluetooth cameras compatible with tablet or phone apps? Maybe baby monitors or door-bell monitors or some such?

-Chris

Battery operated is largely useless for anything other than intrusion detection and alerts. Using them to make constant live observations kills the batteries pretty quick.

I always prefer the wired, the ease of wifi sounds great , but always worried about interference with so much other stuff on board. So had wired https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGM6KM8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on the last boat 7" in the engine room and stern. Now just about to fit 2 units https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RPCZHH/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with 9" displays , again in the engine room and off the stern. As a matter of interest its not just a backup I need but also a stern view, always amazed the number of boats that cruise up behind and pass close by. The first display and cameras cost around $90 and the last about the same with a bigger screen. The eyes are getting older !!!

It isn't so much that there's going to be interference. IP devices are pretty tolerate of sending packets. There is the potential for channel congestion, like if you're at an anchorage and there's a ton of other junk all trying to use the same channels. That can cause trouble, but unless you're talking about very high res video you're not likely to be losing complete video.

When possible, yes, I agree that going hard-wired is always better.

We are looking for advice for an easy install back up camera. I assume a 12v wireless system would make sense.
All advice is appreciated!

I have Garmin cameras all over the boat. They work well in low light too. I'm very happy with them.

Run Siamese cable or eithernet, whichever works for your head end unit. You may use cat5 and baluns if desired for BNC connections. I would suggest not using wireless, as you need to run 12v (or 24v) power regardless.

That's a point, I guess. Maybe some of the "security" monitors I'm thinking about are motion- or sound-activated, so maybe not always ON? Perhaps like the game monitoring cameras I've seen out in the mountains... Or maybe they're actually plugged into AC and I just didn't twig on to that factoid...

-Chris

I use my Go Pro camera with the mobil app. Its wireless and can be monitored on any phone, tablet or laptop. I have mounts in different areas of the boat and I use only the one camera in an underwater case with a small hole drilled through the case for the power plug. My favorite mount and most used is the engine room. I take that back probably my favorite mount is on my diving mask.
Bud

That's a point, I guess. Maybe some of the "security" monitors I'm thinking about are motion- or sound-activated, so maybe not always ON? Perhaps like the game monitoring cameras I've seen out in the mountains... Or maybe they're actually plugged into AC and I just didn't twig on to that factoid.../QUOTE]

I have some Blink battery-operated cameras. They're great. I believe they used Bluetooth Low Energy to make contact with their sync/base station. It's only when they have detected motion that they use WiFi.

Basically, you don't point them at anything that moving unless you want to be notified about it. As in, don't point them at passing traffic, moving bushes or out the window toward a moving dock. I generally get upwards of 18 months out of the lithium AA cells they use. Their app is not designed for constant viewing, mainly because they know this will kill the battery. If you do enable viewing mode you get a notification every 10-15 seconds asking if you're sure you want to continue. This is a good thing when you're using them app as a follow-up for detected motion. But it would be a needless distraction if you were doing something else, like docking a boat.

I use my Go Pro camera with the mobil app. Its wireless and can be monitored on any phone, tablet or laptop. I have mounts in different areas of the boat and I use only the one camera in an underwater case with a small hole drilled through the case for the power plug. My favorite mount and most used is the engine room. I take that back probably my favorite mount is on my diving mask.
Bud

"Wireless" meaning 80211.something? Or Bluetooth? Or...? Monitor with or without a router (or some other kind if Internet access) in the middle?

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom