Old 02-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #18
sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
My are 1987. Taken apart in 2017, gaskets in rough shape so everything cleaned well and new gaskets installed on the wing nut cover, top/bottom of cylinder and one between the strainer and the through hull. New nylon gaskets between lid and wing nut. Rubber cone in good shape. Hit them lightly by hand with some 440 sandpaper for good measure. Air getting in both units port and starboard.

Like most of my boat mysteries, it is probably something simple, user (reassembler) error but geez, there just isn't much to them to goof up. Probably won't get to the bottom of it until I pull the boat again and take them entirely apart.

You are right though, they SHOULD last another 50 years.
I dont recall having gasket on the wing bolt cover on mine?
I dont think its needed.
When the wing bolt is tightened, it presses a plate which presses the rubber, the rubber expands against the inside housing and its sealed.
Its quite technically ingenious and simple at the same time.

You can take them apart if you have room with boat in water, stuff a rag into the hole to slow down the water coming in. They can be greased with silicone grease, something like that. Regular grease might swell the rubber.
You can probably even repair the rubber surface if needed wtih Loctite s30 black roof rubber polyurthane, its good stuff and soft like the original rubber, if your handy, holds up underwater. If really scored up badly, coat surface, then wrap with something to hold its shape, maybe paper. When cured soak it to dissolve away the paper.

The rubber surface on mine was pretty good condition.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote