AutoPilot reversing pump location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yobbo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hassall Free
Vessel Make
Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
Hello, I recently purchased a secondhand TMQ AP55 autopilot system with a hydraulic octopus 1212 reversing pump.

From what I understand the best place to mount the pump is near the steering ram, but how crucial is it? can I mount the pump behind the helm on the flybridge and tap into the hydraulic behind the upper helm?

Thanks

To my knowledge...

It shouldn't matter as long as it is on a nice, clean, low-moisture, solid surface and close to inline with the plumbing. You want a solid surface just to reduce the noise, vibration, etc. You want it inline with the plumbing to allow for an efficient, low resistance, low heat flow. And, you want it to be clean and dry just to reduce corrosion.

Horizontal mounting is normally more stable w.r.t. vibration and fastener load than others due to the distribution of weight and reduction of the lever arm vis-a-vis gravity. But, this isn't a requirement.

My Simrad pump is located on the flybridge, behind the radios and works fine. But it is a tad noisy.

Mine also is on the flybridge (farthest from ram as possible but really no different than the upper helm.

Noise isn't bad, but that is dependent on several factors. On vibration isolators and surrounded by noise reduction material with proper airflow,you could make it very quiet, but mine is far from annoying.

Mine also is on the flybridge (farthest from ram as possible but really no different than the upper helm.

Noise isn't bad, but that is dependent on several factors. On vibration isolators and surrounded by noise reduction material with proper airflow,you could make it very quiet, but mine is far from annoying.

Paul,

Good point, I've looked into sound deadening stuff but it's tight. Probably should look into it a bit closer. While mines not really annoying, I'd prefer less noise and squeaks. However, the noise tells me it's working.

Paul,

Good point, I've looked into sound deadening stuff but it's tight. Probably should look into it a bit closer. While mines not really annoying, I'd prefer less noise and squeaks. However, the noise tells me it's working.

Mine is on the engine room forward bulkhead and so is not a noise issue source...unlike the Capilano pump behind the wheel at my lower helm, which is annoyingly noisy when underway.

Hello, I recently purchased a secondhand TMQ AP55 autopilot system with a hydraulic octopus 1212 reversing pump.

From what I understand the best place to mount the pump is near the steering ram, but how crucial is it? can I mount the pump behind the helm on the flybridge and tap into the hydraulic behind the upper helm?

Thanks

That's where mine is.

Mine is in the lazarette by the ram, but I would think it would not matter where in the hydraulic system it is located.

Back
Top Bottom