Brand new owner 36 Albin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chip

Vessel Name
Chips Ahoy
Vessel Make
Trade Winds 47
Just purchased a 1981 Albin 36' any comments or advice. tks

Hey Chip, congratulations on your new boat. The Albin 36 is a time proven classic beauty, and built to bring you home safely through just about anything........ but I'm sure you already knew that, that's why you bought an Albin. : )

Congrats
Advice?
1 When (not if) you find a leak FIX IT asap!
2 Use the boat. Run it burn some diesel and enjoy:dance:

Congratulations, join us on the Albin Owners Group website. We bought our '83 last year and are starting the Loop in 3 weeks. PM me with any questions.

I've got the same boat, LOVE IT. Got rid of the teak on the flybridge. It was a little soft but not too bad. I replaced it because it leaked.When I pulled it up I found bad glass under it which made the rebuild bigger than planned but still my wife and I did it in a couple weeks.Fuel tanks were redone by P.O. (thanks).Air Conditioner is loud but still works.Updated the electronics, added autopilot, sand, varnish and paint often. But remember it is an old plastic boat, meant to be used probably never will return to Bristol condition.Handles 5 foot waves with ease, uncomfortable but not unsafe. In fact the boat will handle WAY more than I or the Admiral can. Pete, Wisconsin

Have fun, I am exhausted fixing mine.

And they are far from being trusted to bring you home through anything......accept it for what it is.

Not trying to be too negative....just realistic on a typical older Taiwan boat and every brand has it's cheerleaders

Congratulations! Always nice to see another Albin owner on the site. Post some pictures when you can.

We run a 2005 Albin 28 TE around SW Florida (Cape Coral). We have 150 boating destinations within 20 miles of our condo including 42 boat up restaurants.

All the Albin TE's, Express Trawlers, and trawlers are exceptionally well built with brand name engines and other components. The 48 NSC is also a solid boat. The 40's had their problems, but all that I've seen for sale have all had them fixed and are running fine.

The 36 is a tight little boat with all the comforts of home. Enjoy!

giphy.gif

At the time of my earlier post I was having engine trouble. The F.L. 120 never left me stranded but had me worried a few times and found me in the bilge several times adjusting valves. I pulled it out and had it totally rebuilt ($20,000). Now I trust it to take me anywhere. And man, does it purr nice !! I lost most of July due to the engine being out but plan to make it up next summer.

pete

I just bought my 1980 Albin 36 one month ago and can share some early observations. I agree with the previous comment on finding and fixing leaks, windows, decks and fittings all have a strong potential for leaks that will create bigger problems soon. My recently replaced Ford Lehman 120 is a major plus that I expect years of use from (1014 hrs. currently).The teak decks are in my opinion the work of the devil with the windows being almost as bad (mine are all leaving very soon). The settee in the salon is about as comfortable as a milk crate (also leaving soon). She's a nice boat in a moderate sea but she's not really the boat you want if it gets a little shi**y out. Lots of windage, not much boat under the waterline, slow steering and a smallish rudder makes handling dockside more work than necessary. All that being said I like her just fine for the purpose I bought her for, which is a retirement liveaboard for two and a project to keep me busy. I can make up for the shortcomings and will enjoy the process and my lady loves her, we're both looking forward to a rewarding experience owning her. Good luck with yours, I wish you all the best. Oops, just realized I replied to an ancient post, well I guess I've made worse mistakes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom