View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #19
GoldenDawn

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
When I discussed this idea yesterday my boat guy said "and keeping barnacles off those sensors is a hassle." Meaning the L-shaped ones intended for transom mounting.

He's not a fan of that kind of installation, much preferring the through-hull sort. The trick being finding the ideal location, of course. That and we've been getting enough debris in the Chesapeake lately to make anything other than a pretty sturdy mount raise potential for problems.
I don't think there are thru-hull versions of the side-scan transducers but I may be wrong.

The bracket I have is the hinged, tip-up type. So far, never tipped in 3 years of operation and we have plenty of debris in the water. My current mussel/barnacle control is getting in with a wet suit and snorkel every 6 months and scraping/brushing the transducer.

I use the Humminbird (plotter/sounder/side-scan) as a stand-alone, backup system. It is independent of my primary navigation (still running off a desktop - LOL - waiting for that to fail before upgrading).