Update your Navionics Charts for 1/2 price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Thanks for the info! I did the same thing. Big savings for sure especially if you have multiple charts you want to keep updated.

Navionics Boating HD Marine & Lakes, Google Play Store, $15/yr.
This has all charts for the lower 48; not sure about AK and HI.
Runs great on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet (9.7” display, 32GB, internal gps, no cellular data), $320, BestBuy. Ram mounts, $50.
The tablet’s internal GPS has been flawless and consistent with my 2012 Simrad chart plotter (which is no longer supported by Simrad).
It is the beginning of the end for $2000 chartplotters (with 5 year service/support lives).
17978-albums702-picture4973.html

17978-albums702-picture4975.html

I run 3 Raymarine MFDs and a laptop with CE. So this saved me some $$$:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Navionics Boating HD Marine & Lakes, Google Play Store, $15/yr.
This has all charts for the lower 48; not sure about AK and HI.
Runs great on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet (9.7” display, 32GB, internal gps, no cellular data), $320, BestBuy. Ram mounts, $50.
The tablet’s internal GPS has been flawless and consistent with my 2012 Simrad
It is the beginning of the end for $2000 chartplotters (with 5 year service/support lives).

I think the items above may be the best combo I’ve seen yet for a backup or complementary system. Is the Galaxy Tab S2 sunlight viewable also?

17978-albums702-picture4983.html
Yes.

I have posted a pic of the S2 in sunlight.
17978-albums702-picture4982.html

If it did not display in this message, check out my TF photo album. I also posted a pic of the display and mounting there.

The sunlight pic was taken ~1hr prior to sunset with full sun shining on the display - kind of worst case. Note the shadow of the S2 in the background, and of my cell taking the photo. All of the display is in full sun. The bottom portion is reflecting the sun at the camera, which is easily avoided by changing the view angle slightly. I was hunting for worst case. The upper 2/3rds gives the full sun experience at any angle other than perfect reflection.

Last edited:
We have a very similar setup for Bahamas and Caribbean cruising. It's indispensable.... saved us many times for one reason or another.

I print my own paper charts, costs pennies, huge savings.

I am a modern man (LOL) with multiple MFD and a laptop with Coastal Explorer. Paper Charts are somewhere on the boat. Last time I used them was 2016.

Thanks for the heads up Tom. I updated mine a couple days ago.

ASD
Does the Navionics update cover WA, BC and AK?

ASD
Does the Navionics update cover WA, BC and AK?

It updates the charts for the areas that were originally on the chip you purchased.

No chip, IPad app.

Sorry, I don't speak IPad. I live in Microsoft territory. Before I retired most of my customers worked there and I got free software.

Feb 27...I tried to take advantage of this offer but was told by Navionics rep via "chat" that I wasn't eligible. The offer is limited to those within 90s of renewal & my current subscription has 102 days remaining...and there is no way around it. Rep stated that it will cost me $99 in mid-June to update.

Feb 27...I tried to take advantage of this offer but was told by Navionics rep via "chat" that I wasn't eligible. The offer is limited to those within 90s of renewal & my current subscription has 102 days remaining...and there is no way around it. Rep stated that it will cost me $99 in mid-June to update.

Well that sucks.....:confused:

I honestly was not going to renew but for $49 I did. Next year if its $100, I will not be renewing.

With Navionics on my IPad, my use is primarily for "playing around" as I contemplate trips from afar. Once on the boat other charting programs take over. Thus, I struggle with why upgrade? If there is a reason I can't grasp it.

With Navionics on my IPad, my use is primarily for "playing around" as I contemplate trips from afar. Once on the boat other charting programs take over. Thus, I struggle with why upgrade? If there is a reason I can't grasp it.

I upgraded because I use Navionics on my boat. Updated charts are nice. I use the free web version for my computer/tablet but navigate with the MFD on my boat. There are several features that expire / disable such as dock-to-dock auto-routing.

Alaska Sea-Duction

Thanks for the note - I was able to update AK, BC and WA just before the deadline on my SD card but not on the other CF (2007) version. Installer program worked perfectly.

I had a good update experience. Purchased my boat 6 months ago. Called Navionics and they said my 2011 Navionics sim card was eligible for online update for $50. Did it. Yesterday I shot thru Boca Grande Pass with the present current and tide conditions displayed on the map even through I had no internet connectivity. I was impressed Navionics has the tidal and current database in there chart download! Also, the current data was dead-on per my gps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom