raymarine 215 dsc vhf radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsboat

Vessel Make
Mainship Trawler
I have 2 DSC radios on my 40 ft Mainship trawler. The cord on the microphone on one is frayed .i was told i can't get a new one, they are discontinued.Has anyone replaced there DSC radio .Did the new radio fit the old opening or did you have to make adjustments to install it.I will keep on and replace one. Tom

I have the same problem on mine, a 2004. It's a known problem without a great solution. I found a used 215 on Craigslist with a mic cord in better shape than mine and I tried to solder a the better cord onto the plug and failed utterly. Wires were too tiny and my skill level with the soldering gun couldn't make it work. I did check the measurements for a new Raymarine radio and the new one would be about 1/2 or so larger so cutting would be needed. I haven't had a chance to see if I have the extra space as yet so I still have the crumbling cord. The PO did a pretty good job of wrapping it with tape so there's no bare wires. I don't want to spend the $$ to replace both of them and I also don't want to lose the capability the current setup has to use the radios as intercoms from the bridge to the cabin and vice versa, so I'm going to roll with the status quo for this season, I think, and see how it goes.

DSC radio

How do you use it as a intercom I didn't know it could be done.I will check it out next time I go to the boat.Tom

How do you use it as a intercom I didn't know it could be done.I will check it out next time I go to the boat.Tom

Yep, I just discovered it when I read the manual I found online. There's a button labeled D/L / I.C. If you push momentarily it changes from Distance to Local sensitivity, but if you hold it down 2 seconds it goes to Intercom and you can converse if the lower station has the full-function handset. Just PTT and there you go.

I have not tested it, but I do have the full function handset below so it should work.

Intercom

I tried that on my radio and could not get it to go into intercom.My antenna was down because of being shrunk rapped so I don't know if that has any effect on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom