Injector service recommendations... white smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
My Volvo MD2030 (601 hours) has been blowing out some white smoke, which is getting progressively worse. The amount of smoke produced increases with RPM. It is NOT coolant but definitely stinks like fuel. There are no issues with coolant level or consistency, so I am ruling out a head gasket issue.

Anyway, my research points to a dirty/clogged injector. I don't feel or hear any issues with the engine--just a cloud of white smoke that smells like fuel. I adjusted the valve clearance a year or so ago but have yet to service the injectors. The paint on the engine suggests they have never been removed (installed in 2007).

I plan to pull all three injectors rather than diagnose which one is misbehaving.

Can anyone recommend a diesel injector service that they have used? Replacing the injector nozzle doesn't look terribly difficult, but I have no means to test/confirm the spray pattern.

Thank you,

Chris

Call southeast Power systems and see if they can check them for you.

It’s winter. White “smoke,” are you sure? What does your Volvo do? Genset or propulsion?

Dollars to donuts there is nothing wrong.

Thank you for the responses. The MD2030 is propulsion... 12 years old with just 600 hours. She did a lot sitting around with the previous owner. I have owned the boat for about four or five years now and she has never emitted white smoke (maybe a little when cold and at start-up). It first started with a little white smoke at start-up, which is normal. The smoke at start-up increased gradually and now I am seeing a pronounced fuel smelling white cloud when underway (more RPM equates to more white smoke). The Volvo manual recommends pulling and testing the injectors every 500 hours--this seems excessive.

She road well yesterday--no issues that I could detect. Coolant checks out fine with no changes in level. There were no hesitations or RPM fluctuations. The white smoke, however, made the trip a stinky one depending on the wind direction!

injectors

I took 8 injectors to Everglades Diesel Injection Service in Ft. Lauderdale. They came back like new and the service was 5 star. Their phone number is 800-843-3931. Ask for Bill.

Check around the St. Pete and Tampa area, there are probably a handful of diesel injection shops. Any should be able to pop test them while you wait. This includes doing a visual on the spray pattern. If new tips are needed, they should be able to get them and fit them for not too much coin.

How does it start and idle cold? Any miss or smoke there?

White smoke underway , with warm engine is usually bad compression .

Send out the injectors IF the compression is normal.

Agree that it sounds like a compression issue. Do a compression check whilst the injectors are out. Your diesel is a virtual "infant" with just 600 hours, is barely broken in. Bad injector nozzle pressures (higher than specs) will cause a sheen on the water at exhaust. Lower nozzle pressure will usually cause hard starting. I'm having mine done at present (Perkins naturals 354's). My nozzles, 1/3rd were bad on each side and am replacing all of them. Nozzle pressure spec is 175 psi on these Range 4's. 4 were 200+ and caused the "stink" and "sheen". Do a compression check as well.

I appreciate the suggestions! Bad compression... wow... at 600 hours? Air filter is new, no issues starting, no black smoke, no rough idling, RPM is steady, oil is changed religiously. Wouldn't the engine be hard to start if compression was low?

So I may be looking at valve damage and the engine may need tearing apart? :banghead:

I do notice an sheen on the water at the exhaust (at start up). I will definitely check the compression!

Any other catastrophic problems I may have to consider? :confused:

Last edited:
If it starts well cold and does not miss and smoke then, compression is probably ok. Weak compression shows up most on a cold start.

Sounds more like a turbo issue, that would be my first thought.

Are you sure it's not steam? I had similar symptoms when my raw water strainer was partially clogged. Engine coolant temps were OK but there wasn't enough flow into the exhaust mixer.

Are you sure it's not steam? I had similar symptoms when my raw water strainer was partially clogged. Engine coolant temps were OK but there wasn't enough flow into the exhaust mixer.

Good question. It is definitely smells strong of diesel. I originally thought it was steam and opened the inspection ports of the elbow and also checked the strainer to includes inlets for a possible block--all clear. It wasn't until the smoke became progressively worse underway that I could smell the distinct smell of diesel. I do see a sheen when starting the engine and a plume this has become more pronounced over the past year. The smoke mostly disappears under idle and gets worse at RPM increases.

Hello again Chris...you've like seen this on another forum but these replies to a similar issue might help; Volvo Penta MD2030 White Smoke, Knocking - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Thanks! I just looked it over and it gave me some additional thoughts. Last week, I added a diesel injector cleaner hoping that this would clear up the issue.

Despite having 601 hours, the engine is 11 years old so I am thinking it would be wise to at least have the injectors inspected.

Again, coolant looks good (no drop in level) or signs of contaminants, she starts easily, no burning of oil or black smoke, exhaust elbow is fairly new and clear, she doesn't run rough and easily reaches WOT, RPM is steady, and I don't hear knocking. All I am seeing is a stinky plume of white smoke that is quite visible when I get up in RPMs.

My plan for now is to check compression and service the injectors. I am hoping it is not a pump or valve issue. I will report back with an update! I appreciate all the help!

Last edited:
A tip from a master who passed it to me....

"Quick and easy check, bar the engine over while listening to crankcase breather, intake filter (remove for better listening) and exhaust just below elbow or spray ring where soft hose begins. If a bad valve or rings you will hear it hissing.

All good info on that forum, but never resolved.

Most small boat engines seem to be killed , rather than being worn out.

This is frequently because the PO did not follow Da Book, (engine service manual, not the tiny "owners manual")and service the engine before extended periods of non use.

My guess would be stuck oil ring or rust pits in the cylinder walls from non use.

Either would not show much on a compression test.

Fuel smoke tends to linger way beyond the boat. Steam will dissipate 5-10 feet past the boat.

Make sure you are not chasing steam by fussing with injectors!!

Unusual for a diesel to start and run well cold, and not smoke, and then get fuel smoke up at power.

Thinking steam here...

an injector with low vop would cause it to white smoke and get worse with rpm/load. it shouldn't too hard or expensive to get them tested. you can also look closely at the tip and see if the spray pattern is not even on real bad ones but a pop test is the best way to check them.

All good info on that forum, but never resolved.

It does drive me nuts when I become engaged with a thread, find useful information, and then the original poster does not provide further updates regarding how the matter was resolved. I will update this thread with my findings. Perhaps someone in the future may find this information helpful. I will be at the boat next week to start my work.

I appreciate everyone's input--most helpful!

Chris
Yes to checking compression, is it steam or not and then testing injectors. One more thought after checking the first three - when did you first notice this issue and can it be tied to some happening?

So an off the wall set of questions. How old is the fuel? Did you per chance get a bad water laden load? Did you overdose (surprisingly common) with fuel treatment? Did some dock guy use a gas hose instead of diesel? Last but not least crazy thought, any fuel showing up in oil- testing for it pretty easy in South FL.

You'll get it fixed, be patient and proactive.

Well Chris, I for one will look forward to your resolution in this regard.

Chris
Yes to checking compression, is it steam or not and then testing injectors. One more thought after checking the first three - when did you first notice this issue and can it be tied to some happening?

So an off the wall set of questions. How old is the fuel? Did you per chance get a bad water laden load? Did you overdose (surprisingly common) with fuel treatment? Did some dock guy use a gas hose instead of diesel? Last but not least crazy thought, any fuel showing up in oil- testing for it pretty easy in South FL.

You'll get it fixed, be patient and proactive.

Thanks, Ski. I was unable to make it to the boat this weekend but will be pulling the injectors next weekend.

• The white smoke is definitely not steam but has a very strong smelling fuel odor and travels some distance from the boat. I have owned the boat for several years now and the fuel smelling, white smoke only started the past few months. It got particularly worse the past two boat trips. Prior to that, there have been no issues what-so-ever.
  • Coolant level remains perfect and the oil is normal smell/consistency (I don't smell fuel). I will have the oil tested though!
  • I do not hear any odd noises or knocking.
  • RPM remains steady and the engine turns over easily.
  • I do not see water in the fuel bowl and the filters are changed with frequency.
  • Fuel is fresh
  • The slight smoke and sheen in the water at start-up from the exhaust has been occurring for longer, but I assumed a little smoke at start-up was normal.
  • Exhaust elbow is clear.
  • I used slightly less cleaner than instructed, but who knows--I can't say with 100% that I didn't make a mistake.
  • I replaced the old copper fuel lines that were badly corroding a few months ago. The smoke did start after the lines were pulled. I can't recall how long though. Coincidence?
I could be very wrong but this seems to point to one or more of the injectors. I could test each one by cracking a nut and checking for RPM drop, but I am just going to pull them and have them professionally inspected. I will check the compression as well.

Many thanks again. I will have an update in the next few weeks!

Chris

Last edited:
Throw in a lube oil sample analysis looking for fuel in the oil.

Let me summarize the symptoms as I understand it from reading this thread:

Engine starts easily cold- Indicates good compression
White smoke started recently
Smoke has a diesel smell- un burned fuel
Smoke doesn't dissipate quickly- not steam
No black smoke under load- not a lack of air (turbo or fouled air filter) problem
No fuel cooler in that engine- so no leak
Coolant level steady- no head gasket problem

All of the above indicates a fuel injector problem. If it is simple injector fouling and not wear (and at 600 hours I would not expect injector wear) then running it hard (2-300 off of top) for a few hours may clear up the smoke. It did for me with a Yanmar 3GM at 4,000 hours.

David

Last edited:
.....I replaced the old copper fuel lines that were badly corroding a few months ago. The smoke did start after the lines were pulled. I can't recall how long though. Coincidence? ...Chris
Can`t see the connection but not big on "coincidence". "Do something and something happens afterwards" suggests a nexus.

Back
Top Bottom