Farthest Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rondalw1

Vessel Name
WIXHAUSEN
Vessel Make
Jefferson 42
Just wondering what the farthest adventure people have taken from their home ports.

Researching cruising past Bahamas (maybe Turks or St. Maarten) Don't flame me, just researching.

Thanks

My longest was from Seattle to Stockton, CA helping a guy take his 57' Bayliner down there. 9 days, some of that due to weather. It was a good trip, all things considered and I learned a lot about being on the ocean.

Chicago to Knoxville, 1200 sm, 23 days, single handed

On Hobo, Alaska to Florida via the Panama Canal and Colombia. On our last boat (sail), Alaska to North Carolina heading west around Africa.

I'm slowly building up my experience, as its big open water with few protected harbours going any distance from here.
My longest trip in this boat was Adelaide to Port Lincoln. About 400 nm over 15 days with no marinas in between.

Wifey B: Alaska, Washington to Fort Lauderdale. Fort Lauderdale to St. Lucia. Fort Lauderdale to Montreal. Great Loop. :)

We bought our boat near Annapolis and brought her home to Houma, Louisiana.
Down the East Coast ICW, across Fl via Okeechobee Waterway, and finally along the Gulf ICW to Houma. A very nice trip.

Western Aleutians from Astoria via Canada and SW Alaska.

San Francisco to Cabo San Lucas. Back to San Francisco. Then North to Seattle and then further North into Canada.

Ft Lauderdale to Rockport Tx.

Hi,

Hi, traditionally our head cruise on summer vacation n. Two months live aboard and cruising about +1500 nm, but it is an island hopping and coastal riding in the Finland / Sweden archipelago. The longest one is Lubeck in Germany about 600 nm from the home port.

NBs

Hi,

Hi, traditionally our head cruise on summer vacation n. Two months live aboard and cruising about +1500 nm, but it is an island hopping and coastal riding in the Finland / Sweden archipelago. The longest one is Lubeck in Germany about 600 nm from the home port.

NBs

I really envy you. My long-long range plan is to return to the Baltic and spend a year or two in the Gulf of Bothnia.

As to the past, https://share.garmin.com/dauntless

Though it doesn't show the first year of Florida to New England, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, then all the way down tot he Bahamas, then return to Florida and Rhode Island.:dance::dance:
At that point I got the InReach:facepalm:

I really envy you. My long-long range plan is to return to the Baltic and spend a year or two in the Gulf of Bothnia.

As to the past, https://share.garmin.com/dauntless

Though it doesn't show the first year of Florida to New England, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, then all the way down tot he Bahamas, then return to Florida and Rhode Island.:dance::dance:
At that point I got the InReach:facepalm:

Hi

Hi, I have read your pages enjoyed the adventures everywhere. When you visited here you missed so much, especially the archipelago of Finland and Sweden. Unfortunately, you also felt negative when you grounded in the rock in our waters.

The best time to visit here is May to August. During September move to the southern coast of Sweden coast and going to winter for perhaps Central European canals exepes there west Netherlands November-March (very affordable marina, all services). In the spring come back and look a little Denmark and look at the Swedish west coast and Norway.

You need to remember the limited time in the EU area (18 month?) for your ship or tax penalties of 19-25% of your vessel's value.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/sites/taxation/files/rules_for_private_boats-faq_en.pdf

20180625_155138 (2).jpg

This is the best here for thousands of opportunities to find good sheltered places to mount a boat in the rock or to anchor and spend time on the beach to barbecue or explore nature. This is possible because there is no tide here.

NBs

Last edited:
San Francisco to Cabo San Lucas. Back to San Francisco. Then North to Seattle and then further North into Canada.

What type of boat? We are interested in a similar path over then next few years starting from Seattle. Then further north to SE Alaska. Eventually south.

Western Aleutians..

Therein lay some stories, I'm sure!

By Badger: three weeks from Kitimat to Calvert Island and back via the mainland inlets.

By Kayak: 6 months on the coast of BC (Prince Rupert to Vancouver) in 1991-1992; 2 months in winter, 2 months in spring and 2 months in summer/fall. Done before house, child, or real full time jobs, etc.

Retiring in fall of 2020, so plan on some grand multi-month adventures then...

Last edited:
What type of boat? We are interested in a similar path over then next few years starting from Seattle. Then further north to SE Alaska. Eventually south.
You can't go until we're ready...

In our little C-Dory, Prince Rupert to Skagway, wandering much of SE Alaska along the way. In our 26-footer and in our Nordic Tug, Puget Sound to Glacier Bay and back, with many variations of all-over-the-place in between.

In our 60s and 70s -- Lived aboard and cruised full time for six years aboard our 50 DeFever trawler, FINALLY FUN. Best was north from FL to and thru Canada, doing the Triangle Loop. Another approx two year trip island hopping from FL to Grenada and back, taking our time. Sat out hurricane season in Grenada. Check my blog for details; routes; sight seeing etc. finallyfunadventures.blogspot.com

Longest single leg was about 1,500 miles from Norfolk to Charlotte Amalie, USVI, in an Alden 76. But honestly, why would I even post this after reading Richard on Dauntless? :D

My wife and I are in the middle of our 7th trip from San Diego, Cal. to Mexico and return. Presently in La Paz with some cruising up into the Sea of Cortez and returning to SD around June 1. Approximately 950 NM. each way. Last trip SD to Puerto Vallarta on the mainland of Mexico. That one about 1100 NM each way.

Honolulu to Long Beach, CA to Panama Canal to Jamaica to Cancun to Ft Myers Fl.
~8000 nm over 6 months

Vallejo to Stockton on my boat. :blush: Transatlantic, transmediterranean as well between CA and Hawaii and Alaska, and Mexico, and Caribbean, and Cape Horn on other boats. :D

Attachments

• admiring sp trains.jpg
    admiring sp trains.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Transatlantic, transmediterranean as well between CA and Hawaii and Alaska, and Mexico, and Caribbean, and Cape Horn on other boats. :D

Me-thinks cruise ships don't count :socool:

Me thinks MurayM is correct....

ha ha ha ha ha! guess you got the joke. we're laughing. while Perla and I was ashore enjoying wine, captain Jack was on the Coot's mast looking back toward the following square-rigged pirate ship.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom