Forward scan sonar sensor for trawlers place where the keel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you been able to test it against small objects like a piling or such?

There is a ton of semi/submerged oil rigs in galveston bay. the fls would really be handy here.

Yes, I think it can see, it sees buoyancy chain watch and my anchor chain when anchor what I have experience.

The screen can not see the width or size of the obstacle. The screen shows the depth of the obstacle on the surface of the water and the obstacle of the distance. Turning the bow spends the object out of the probe sector and you can find a safe way out for you. The whole section is 15 ° sideways and about 90 ° forward (botom- water surface, and the picture is updated 1-2 times per second.

You can see how the chain appears, in addition to other views. The pictures in the brochure are realistic to me how the EP shows, even though there is a sales brochure. If I had a boat in the water I could have shot you pile in the water but it is already up from the sea (winter here)

http://www.echopilot.com/app/download/3322232/FLSBlackBox.pdf

NBs

Last edited:
Hi

Old link post#31 failure... but this is pic.

iu

NBs

Last edited:
I have been considering using a small waterproof video camera, just under the surface at the bow, for the same purpose.
With a screen at the helm position, it could prove invaluable for conning tricky passages at low speed.

I like that idea, SG.
The water here almost always has good visibility, and a bow camera would pick up any upcoming lumps in the bottom, as well as the regular dolphins on the bow wave. A portable camera on a mount which could be lifted for cleaning would be ideal.
You got me thinking.....

Which Echo pilot unit is this? How long have you owned it and any issues?

Echopilots platinium, 2017- and no problem device makes what the manufacturer promises, the only surprise it looks max about 90m depth, though at that time nothing can afford to ground like a russian sub:D.

For the device to work well, the sensor installation is most important, it should be in place with as little air bubbles or currents as possible, eg no other ,sensor or thru hull in front / next, etc. The sonar still looks great at my maximum speed of about 18 kn. However, when you run fast, the reaction time and boat speed could be fatal to ground.

NBs

Echopilots platinium, 2017- and no problem device makes what the manufacturer promises, the only surprise it looks max about 90m depth, though at that time nothing can afford to ground like a russian sub:D.

For the device to work well, the sensor installation is most important, it should be in place with as little air bubbles or currents as possible, eg no other ,sensor or thru hull in front / next, etc. The sonar still looks great at my maximum speed of about 18 kn. However, when you run fast, the reaction time and boat speed could be fatal to ground.

NBs

NBs,

Thx! By chance does it play on others MFDs? Or does it still need its own dedicated display?

I recently installed a Simrad forward scan and am impressed with how much it shows ahead of the boat. My logic is when the depth is that shallow I am going to be running at less than the 7 kt cruise speed and should be able to see unmarked objects in time to avoid them or stop. As BandB well describes and North Baltic. Thanks. I have not used my forward scan enough to comment much but am wondering if the deflector we glassed to the hull is going to create a problem amount of turbulence? It looks very vulnerable sticking down below the hull with nothing in front of it to deflect floating logs. Mine is mounted about 8’ back of bow and 3’ to port of keel.

I do not think the Simrad fs will work on anything but some of the late model higher end Navico products.

Attachments

• 08126836-6692-431E-9F5D-729D3F326669.jpg
    08126836-6692-431E-9F5D-729D3F326669.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
NBs,

Thx! By chance does it play on others MFDs? Or does it still need its own dedicated display?

Hi,

I have attached the Raymarin 120 E classic map plotter video jack.

These features can act as a display.

"Composite Video and S-Video output are provided, along with all cables needed to attach to most video displays, marine or domestic."

Overview-Platinum-700x1050.jpg

NBs

Last edited:
I recently installed a Simrad forward scan and am impressed with how much it shows ahead of the boat. My logic is when the depth is that shallow I am going to be running at less than the 7 kt cruise speed and should be able to see unmarked objects in time to avoid them or stop. As BandB well describes and North Baltic. Thanks. I have not used my forward scan enough to comment much but am wondering if the deflector we glassed to the hull is going to create a problem amount of turbulence? It looks very vulnerable sticking down below the hull with nothing in front of it to deflect floating logs. Mine is mounted about 8’ back of bow and 3’ to port of keel.

I do not think the Simrad fs will work on anything but some of the late model higher end Navico products.

Hi,

The sensor is indeed vulnerable, but fortunately designed to cut across if it hits a fixed and should still prevent leakage. The new sensor, of course, causes cost and effort.

NBs

Back
Top Bottom