Trans-Atlantic in a semi-disp hull?? Yes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Many larger boat owners and also send their boats across with just their crew and then fly across themselves."

Not just big buck folks , when LUCY and our 90/90 go I have a box boat ,
a 39 ft cruiser that would fit in a std shipping container on my board,
I would love to get built in aluminum in some boat savvy low cost labor country.

Poland perhaps?

"Many larger boat owners and also send their boats across with just their crew and then fly across themselves."

Not just big buck folks , when LUCY and our 90/90 go I have a box boat ,
a 39 ft cruiser that would fit in a std shipping container on my board,
I would love to get built in aluminum in some boat savvy low cost labor country.

Poland perhaps?

Some excellent builders in Turkey.

I'd cross in this boat if I wasn't paying the bills.
I've looked at those boats in Europe a number of times. They are great coastal cruisers.
But that are also different lifestyle boats than most of us on TF.

The owners of these boats don't work on them and wouldn't "waste" two weeks crossing an ocean.

Richard , I’m assuming your reference to “paying the bills “ was about the fuel cost consumption? How do you personally define a boat for coastal use as compared to ocean capable...Thanks...

Some excellent builders in Turkey.

One of the TF members are having an amazing build done in Turkey, all aluminum LRC 58 I think...They have a blog called Mobius World, the build quality looks excellent. Not sure of the cost , but I’m thinking north of One Million....:)

"Some excellent builders in Turkey."

Agree!

We loved Turkey on out last visit , BUT the current government scares the crap put of me.

In August 1977, Allen Cargile completed his New York to Paris voyage in a cruiser of his own design and manufacture, the Cargile Cutter. The Cutter was sold with single or twin Chrysler outdrives, but for this boat, the power was a single Volvo-Penta outdrive. Most of the interior furniture was removed to make room for extra fuel tanks. There was a good article on Cargile's voyage, which indeed was made for marketing purposes, in the May 1978 issue of The United States Power Squadrons' Ensign magazine. see https://cargilecutters.wordpress.com

I think the people aboard are much less likely to be offshore compatible compared to any offshore designed boat. I was aboard an elling when they first appeared in Ft Lauderdale and their build quality wasn't great. I agree with B&B since you seldom get a chance to batten down all the hatches, seat belt everyone in, and then proceed with a knockdown. Most knockdowns come as a surprise.
Their controlled example, rolled by a crane, with divers standing by was done by a fully prepped boat and owner inside. Nothing was loose that might have flown across the cabin and broken a window. That's not how most people cruise.
Knockdowns are not slow rolls, from what I understand, they happen so quickly that you're figuring out what happened as the boat tries to right itself. I for one, never want to experience that part of boating. I don't think it fits the pleasure boating category I desire.

Also, I have concerns about how a fuel bladder would affect the stability of an Elling, needed to give it ocean-crossing range. From what I know, you use up enough fuel in the tanks to empty a bladder back into the fixed tanks so you don't have a floppy fuel bladder tied on deck. All the deck sidewalls have to be built strong enough to contain the pressure from the bladder when full and underway. I don't think it would be safe for a retrofit solution, but if they planned it, built it for the use of bladders, and tested the stability, it should be OK.

Tony Fleming sold Venture II and uses Venture for his film work.

You have pretty described Tony's Fleming 65 "Venture" which has crossed many oceans.

Having cruised aboard Venture I and II, I can attest to their seaworthiness (I've made offshore passages aboard every current model Fleming, 55, 58, 65 and 75). On a passage from Scotland to Iceland, via the Faroes, we encountered truly nasty conditions, square waves that put the vessel through her paces. I was literally airborne above the helm chair if not holding on while on watch, and above my berth when off watch. Every light on the boat is LED with the exception of the berth reading lights, and at the end of that passage the filament in every one of them was broken. We lost a few wine glasses and a bottle of really good Scottish beer broke in the reefer, causing quite a mess. Nothing else failed or broke. Not the worst offshore passage I've made, but close. Here's the review https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Fleming-65.pdf

Having said that, neither Venture has "crossed an ocean" although other Flemings have. Venture I has covered many sea miles.

I wrote a review of the Elling E3 several years ago, and have been to the factory on a few occasions. An article about the latter can be found here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Elling158-02.pdf

The Elling roll over is staged, it has no rails or other deck gear, however, I know of no other production builder that has demonstrated righting ability (and watertight integrity) of a vessel of this displacement, in this manner. The guy sitting in the helm chair during the roll over, btw, is the owner of the company, Anton van den Bos. Here's the video

How do you break the filament of an LED light? Did you mean to say the reading lights that were not LED were all broken?

Wifey B: We're about to do a trans-Atlantic crossing, leaving JFK in a few minutes, but I don't know the hull design. :ermm:

airbus.jpg

I don't think it's a trawler though. :rofl:

JFK.. u r brave[emoji3] try air can out of pierson next hop to euro. I have converted. And i live in NY !

JFK.. u r brave[emoji3] try air can out of pierson next hop to euro. I have converted. And i live in NY !

Wifey B: But we live in Fort Lauderdale and had to connect. :)

Good thing we brought snacks. Dinner should be about 9:30 I'm guessing. Already flown 3 hours and now have to fly nearly 9 hours more. Sure would be more fun by boat. :D

If you`ve wifi to your seat, surely you have snacks,drinks, even meals, on demand.

If you`ve wifi to your seat, surely you have snacks,drinks, even meals, on demand.

Wifey B: We also brought a carry-on of snacks but finally had dinner. Now to get some sleep in a bit. Just drinking water. No complaints though as we feel lucky we got out at all, before the snow and stuff that's supposed to hit there tonight. We were worried. :eek:

Yes, I do like WIFI in the air. Can't live without the internet. :)

Is this Elling E6 hull unique or have other builders in the past built a SD hull before that is capable of crossing oceans?

Interesting design. I can't imagine crossing the Atlantic in a semi-displacement rig....Even if it is 65' by 18' and fully stabilized, I think I'd be more trusting in an N43 that is 20 feet smaller. The Elling is BEAUTIFUL though.

Elling E6 Yacht Specification | Elling Yachts

Check out Fleming's videos on youtube, sd hull that has taken him to all points of the compass safely. Very well done and a pleasure to wat h imho.

I meant what I said, "Every light on the boat is LED with the exception of the berth reading lights, and at the end of that passage the filament in every one of them was broken."

Indeed, there are no filaments in LED lights. All the bulbs aboard were LED except the reading lights, they were incandescent, and these are the ones whose filaments were broken. At first this puzzled me, I thought only my light was out, but then others reported the same issue. I assumed it was a breaker, checked it, it was on. I just couldn't believe every bulb had burned out. As I inspected them, however, I discovered every filament had broken.

How about 30' on a Flying Bridge for 30 days

So it is a planing hull but an still an amazing display of seamanship. Hope the attachment makes it. It is an article from the Ensign, 1978.

Attachments

• 1978 Ensign Magizine Article1 (1).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 122
So it is a planing hull but an still an amazing display of seamanship. Hope the attachment makes it. It is an article from the Ensign, 1978.

Egad. No guts, no glory!

With all that fuel onboard it's surprising there was enough room for his huge set of balls!

Some of my exploits have been called crazy.. but it pales in comparison
HOLLYWOOD

IF filament bulbs are sourced at a marine supply and are true 12V bulbs , they have a short life.

The bulbs at the auto supply are fine with 14.5 or 15V from an operating alternator.

Auto sourced are dimmer on 12V battery power. There IS a difference.

In NTSB aircraft accident investigations, they can tell if a warning light was lit at the time of an accident since a hot filament will stretch and break due to inertia and deceleration trauma. Close inspection of the filaments can tell if the filament was blown (dead) before the accident, vs killed in the accident.

Our Riva could cross but only has range of 200-250 nm.

Range aside maybe it could do it if you got extremely lucky with conditions otherwise that would be a miserable, if not suicidal, voyage.

Then you'd be the same in an Elling. I'd put the seaworthiness of a 63' Riva up against that of a 49' Elling. And, no, the Riva isn't self righting. Personally, I'm not going to attempt a crossing in anything under 100'.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom