Marine Trawler Owner Association

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirJohn

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
BAG END
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38 Sundeck
Is this group worth the $65.00 fee?
There is more info and activity on this site and was seeking opinions on Joining MTOA. There were older threads on this subject but wanted to get an updated response from the community here.
Thank you
John

Curious about the same. I see quite a few MTOA burgees.

At first glance, the organization is a Florida-waters organization. No "pull" for this west-coast boater.

Worth it to me.

The $65 is peanuts for what you get. Lots of good folks there, too. Good info and good benefits.

Just the membership deal they have with Yacht Club of America with a reciprocity agreements is worth it by itself.

I like it.

MTOA has members and activities on the west coast. If you want more activities on the west coast, then you need to join and get your friends to join. Then there will be more on the west coast.

I did a brief web search when it was first posted, and did not see any activities plannned for the lower half of the West Coast. Did you? If I were in the PNW, it sounds like it would be worth it. Looks like a good organization overall.

You say you need to have more activities in So Cal then do something about it and join. Get others to join and there will be more activities in So Cal. It works this way with any organization. If you see the need then step up and do something about it. That is the only way things change.

Is there any World MTOA with activities spanning outside US?

L

MTOA has been good for us. The insurance program / information has been very helpful. The daily email digest of the forum always had good and interesting information.

YMMV
Henry

Well, I have wasted more than $65.00 dollars on my trawler before. I will give it a try.

it's worth it to me and i have been accused of being cheep or to poor to own a boat.

I signed up when I was considering getting a marine trader - I didn't think there was any useful information there that wasn't on the trawler forum.
Now the grand banks version is a different story....

I did it for a year and didn't perceive enough value to justify renewing.

Ted

We get our insurance through the MTOA and the savings more than cover the membership cost.

Good org, many members lots of experience, can learn a lot.

Marine Trawlers Owners Association

The MTOA was first started as the Marine Traders Owners Association then morphed to the Marine Trawlers Owners Association.

It Isn't specifically a FL operation. There are several groups under the MTOA banner in FL but mostly because there are a number of boats & boaters in FL.

I belong to the CBC, the Chesapeake Bay Cruisers. We have a fairly large and active group. There is usually something planned monthly all year round, even when the boats are pulled.

Visiting the MTOA.net site will show you where the groups are and you can contact someone in that area for more info. IT will also give you more info on the group itself.

1 of the very important items with the MTOA are something called Port Captains. There are members who like to help and provide services to the other members. They include, but aren't limited to offering info on an area where they are that you might not be familiar with, including restaurants, POI's and other services.

The CBC cruises together. While we are cruising the Loop there are cruises planned monthly on the bay and some have even reached the New England coast.

Having been a member for over 10yrs, I feel it is worth the cost of membership, and on the Loop I never know when a Port Captain may come in handy.

BTW, if you decide to join, use my member number 3927, I get a pin for sponsoring you.

BTW, the MTOA does have an insurance 'program' but I have my insurance with BoatUS. For some the insurance program may work out, don't join just for that reason. There are plenty of other ones.

Any specific questions, drop me an email at my address below.

Best regards,
Charles
Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA 3927
AGLCA 12114

Please keep in mind that emails show no emotion, often omit words, and may be perceived as the opposite of what is intended. A simple phone call is the fastest way to straighten out any misunderstanding or questions.

Back
Top Bottom