View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM  
wkearney99
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I agree, Furuno support folks have always been very helpful. Not just 'party line' responses either, real world understanding.

Forward sonar... yeah, if it was actually possible to install correctly, and capable of being as useful as we all expect.. it'd be GREAT!

But from what I can tell it's largely useless for anything other than moving slowly into an unknown area and getting a look-ahead of conditions.

Trouble is most of us would rather have it be able to see ahead while we're moving at a good clip and be somehow able to warn us in time for any obstacles. It doesn't rise to that level of magic, at least not yet.

I could see where it'd be really useful if used from a tender in conjunction with the main vessel. As in, go in with the dinghy to scout out the bathymetry and feed that back to the chart plotter on the vessel. Lots of data and networking there. I've zero need for that. But more importantly I don't see ever making an effective argument to the wife to justify spending for it!

Thus a cheap side-scan setup like the Simrad would be more for giggles and letting the guests gawk at the bottom pix. Still, some of the touchscreen and 3D rotate-able demos are pretty slick.