Pin & Cup Hinge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murungal

Vessel Name
Murungal
Vessel Make
Albin 36 Aft Cabin
I am in need of 3 hinge pairs as shown.

They are brass and from a 1978 Albin 36 Aft Cabin Trawler built by
the Ho Hsing shipyard in Taiwan in 1978

If anyone can help please PM me.

Cheers

Marangal

Last edited by a moderator:
Brass Hinge

I hope that this photo is small enough to attach

Marangal

HopCar,

Thanks! I don't know for sure what Marangal needs -- but I sure need those hinges for my boat! Now I know what to call them -- and maybe where to buy them!

Spot on Hopcar. Pin goes up with cap on top. Allows you to remove the door easily. Can think of other names but the moderator would ban them. Mine are only around 40mm long (about 1 3/4 inches) with 2 screws. I think that the number 2 is the same in the northern hemisphere as it is here. Saw them today in an add for a 1978 Albin 36.

You will get used to the accent, cobber.

Marangul

Marangul, is Cobber a good thing or should I be insulted? :D
Didn’t someone say something about two people separated by a common language?

Parks, you`ll get the idea,I`m sure Marangal will explain, and it`s all good.
And as we say, "Onya Mate!". Which abbreviates "Good on you mate", which(sort of) means "May good things come to you"(it loses something in the translation but definitely a "wishing you well" compliment).
However, beware of a request that begins with "Mate mate mate,would you..." A "3 mate request" usually spells trouble.

Parks Mate, Mate, Mate!!!!!!!
Next time I am in the US of A let me buy you a drink.

Uru

Marangal

Parks Mate, Mate, Mate!!!!!!!
Next time I am in the US of A let me buy you a drink.

Uru

Marangal

I’d like that very much but you have to let me buy the second round.

Sorry Transpac for the error.

Fat thumb

Marangal

These the ones? I have been watching threads about them for years but have never seen a supply or salvage place with them.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 58
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 50
These the ones? I have been watching threads about them for years but have never seen a supply or salvage place with them.

Those are the one's I need and have recently ordered. Not sure about OP though. My MarineDepotDirect order is on it's way, we'll see.

Psneeld
They are the ones l am looking for

Thanks for getting a photo on the forum

Regards

Marangal

When all else fails

Read the instructions

Attachments

• Brass Hinge (2).jpg
    Brass Hinge (2).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 48
I have an Albin also, full of those hinges. I actually found a great selection of them in that little hardware store in Key West right near the waterfront, but that was about 18 years ago.

Brent

It is supprising to see that these little hinges are in such demand.

Just needs someone to trash their Albin trawler!!!!

Marangal

Lots on Amazon - "bullet" hinges or "lift-off."

I received my hinges from MarineDepotDirect.com. They are beefy, thicker than the old ones (will require a little bit of chiseling), and unfortunately I ordered the wrong side of the door.

I also ordered some from Amazon for the proper side and will report on them.

I've also seen the word "olive" used to describe them, due to the shape of one half of the hinge.

If you are replacing the hinge because of that corrosion try a short dip in muriatic acid to clean it up. Then spray with clear lacquer.

Those are the one's I need and have recently ordered. Not sure about OP though. My MarineDepotDirect order is on it's way, we'll see.
I just noticed we have some of those hinges on our boat too. Following this thread to see if anyone has any luck finding them.

Same here. I've bookmarked this thread in case I need some replacements. About 1/2 of my hinges are missing the spacer washer.

I sat here thinking that I need to replace missing hinges. After sorting thru the WWW with no luck, I thought go to TF! Those guys know everything! Boom!!! There is exactly what I am after. Back to WWW to order.
Thanks, guys (and females, ladies, women) for the help.

I found Deltana Architecutural Hardware carries solid brass olive knuckle hinges. They are like your home doors and are right or left handed. Not quite the same size as old ones, but where did it say that fiddling with the boat was NOT part of the deal?
I also found Spokane Hardware that carries sash catch and ball catches. I can keep everything closing and stay closed.Finding the right name for these parts was hard part. There are several vendors and sizes vary. Handedness is explained at Deltana’s web page.
Pictures to be attached.

Back
Top Bottom