Shopping for the perfect Trawler Type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randaye1000

Vessel Name
BYE BYE
Vessel Make
35 Regal Commodore
Been looking for the right one. Thinking like 50-58' Looked at a few, but none just right. As they say"when we see it. We'll know". Probably Hatteras - Carver - Defever,
Basically - walk in engine room - roomy galley - 19'< - current instruments - etc. Hopefully good shape, so we can run and hide for a couple of years before it needs expensive upkeep.

Welcome! Are you hoping to get suggestions, perhaps boats offered for sale? (There's a forum section for that.) What have you looked at and which ones did you mostly like? What didn't you like about those? Run and hide? Who's chasing you? Upkeep is always required, possibly just to keep even, but skip a few years and you'll just have to do it later. Good luck!

Been looking for the right one. Thinking like 50-58' Looked at a few, but none just right. As they say"when we see it. We'll know". Probably Hatteras - Carver - Defever,
Basically - walk in engine room - roomy galley - 19'< - current instruments - etc. Hopefully good shape, so we can run and hide for a couple of years before it needs expensive upkeep.
Hi Randeye,
Welcome to the forum!
If you find the "perfect boat" let us all know how you did that :whistling:. Boats usually involve at least some compromise in your expectations:banghead:. We got lucky with ours. For us, it is very close to perfect, but not quite.:D
I have mentioned on this forum before that even though we bought a used boat in great condition (2002 model in 2016), we have still spent over $35,000 on repairs, upgrades, and maintenance. There are still upgrades I would like to make. A fair bit of the labour (50%) I did myself, so costs could have been higher.
Just some thoughts to consider along with everything else.
Good luck,
Tom

Trawler forum

ENGLEWOOD, FLORIDA

Yes, we've looked at the 48 Defever, but she says it not what she wants. Wants to look at some 54+ Cockpit Hatteras. This is probably where we'll end up at. We would like to have the mechanicals very good. Then reno the rest the way we want. Cosmetics will be our big thing after the Mechanicals. We're keeping a sizeable budget for that.
We own a Cabinets shop. So the reno will be pretty reasonable for us. And we have access to Professional painters here. We're allowing 8 - 12 months for this. Hope to start the great loop next spring or summer.
Thank You all for suggestions and help.
Randy

Suggest you do some serious research about Detroit diesels if you are thinking Hatteras.

Ocean Alexander made some nice boats in that size range.

ENGLEWOOD, FLORIDA

Yes, we've looked at the 48 Defever, but she says it not what she wants. Wants to look at some 54+ Cockpit Hatteras. This is probably where we'll end up at. We would like to have the mechanicals very good. Then reno the rest the way we want. Cosmetics will be our big thing after the Mechanicals. We're keeping a sizeable budget for that.
We own a Cabinets shop. So the reno will be pretty reasonable for us. And we have access to Professional painters here. We're allowing 8 - 12 months for this. Hope to start the great loop next spring or summer.
Thank You all for suggestions and help.
Randy

Randy,

If you're looping in 2020, pay attention to the Illinois river lock closures, it will make a significant impact on the loop trip then.

I wouldn't hold out for new electronics unless the boat is 2013 or newer.

Randaye,
Welcome. I was in the same boat, pardon the pun, 3 years ago. Ended up buying a Defever 53 POC. Very roomie and very nice boat for the $$. I bought her in Annapolis and worked over to Seattle. Long ride but love the boat, and so comfortable for cruising for 2 or entertaining 6-7 folks. Let me know if you have any questions or things I can answer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom