8k kohler generator remove from 40 mainship.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphcramden

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
How Sweet It Is
Vessel Make
Mainship 40
anyone remover a gen from mainship?? easy or difficult. time estimate? need to remove for repair. thanks.

I'm following this thread with interest, as I have the same boat. I hope you get some replies.

I'm afraid it's not going to be easy, the genset should easily fit through the lazarette hatch, but it's going to be hard to get off of the shelf. Not a lot of room to work with.

Will you reinstall in the same configuration? Stella Blue has some thoughts on putting a sliding shelf underneath it to allow better access to the top.

BTW, I pulled the sound shield off of mine to allow better access. I don't miss it.

Which Mainship 40? '80s or 2000s?

-Chris

They install that generator before they install the deck cap and interior structure. I don't think they spent a lot of time figuring access to it. May need to break down the machine to get it out.

They install that generator before they install the deck cap and interior structure. I don't think they spent a lot of time figuring access to it. May need to break down the machine to get it out.

Same thing with our 430. It's under the salon floor. I hope it never needs any major work.

After the sound shield is removed there is room, barely, to lay on your side behind it and access the back side, including the port side fwd motor mount. I think you can get it out.

Tough part is going to be managing sliding it aft off of its shelf since you can't really get a cable on the top of it. Maybe some sort of skid?

no headroom to get under hatch cover lip. need to remove all sound shield components. tough without any space to work. 8 man hours so far. unit still in boat.

Ditto on a 430 Aft cabin trawler, it's under the salon deck. I cringe when I think of having to replace the exhaust hose. There is no access other than a new hole in the salon deck.

Jim

You've probably figured this out already, but do yourself a favor and don't reinstall the sound shield.The small amount of noise reduction it provides is not worth the terrible access which it greatly contributes to. I don't miss mine at all. It's nice to be able to change the zinc without taking other parts of the motor off and to have room (barely) to add coolant.

agreed. not reinstalling sound shield but have ordered acustic pannells. will build around unit and use velcro to connect sides and top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom