Anybody use a convection microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
We’re planning to upgrade the galley on our 44 Defever and considering a built-in convection microwave and induction cooktop to replace the existing Princess range.

If you have a convection microwave:
—what brand and model?
—are you pleased with baking, broiling, etc vs a conventional oven?
—other than the comparatively short height of the oven, are there any other limitations?

Thanks in advance.

We have a 2014 Whirlpool and while my wife, the cook, likes it, I do not. It is an excellent microwave, perhaps the best we have had, but as an oven it is a miserable failure. The reason: no browning or Maillard Reaction at all. If you “bake” long enough to get some browning, everything is all dried out.

BTW, there is no built-in broiler since the heat source is essentially a big hair dryer blowing into a box.

We really liked or Viking and we really don’t like our GE. To be fair our Viking is a standard 36” above range model and our GE is a 24” space saver model. It’s not a size issue, it’s how the convection part of the GE is inferior.

Convection ovens are great when you need a dry heat. Broiling is usually not their thing.

We’re planning to upgrade the galley on our 44 Defever and considering a built-in convection microwave and induction cooktop to replace the existing Princess range.

—what brand and model?
—other than the comparatively short height of the oven, are there any other limitations?

Thanks in advance.

We have one, Sharp R-820BK (BK = Black), greatest thing since sliced bread... given no other oven, nor space for one, on board.

Other than size, we've not found a limitation. In fact, even size hasn't been an issue, although we normally tend to turkey breasts for Thanksgiving, anyway, not whole turkeys.

Our particular model is no longer made, though; there's maybe a newer on in their pipeline...

-Chris

We have one on our boat. Still not all that sure how to use it. Only time I’ve used the convection oven is to cook some cheap pizza rolls for my hubby for a snack. Lol

We have one, Sharp R-820BK (BK = Black), greatest thing since sliced bread... given no other oven, nor space for one, on board. -Chris

I'm a happy, same model, Sharp owner. Sharp does it all, albeit now with newer models.

We have a convection micro on the boat and we've found we don't use the convection feature very often.

Would it replace a stove? Heavens no. Would it replace a regular oven? Doubtful.

—what brand and model?

Thanks in advance.
I realize that you are trying to save space. We considered a combo oven for our DeFever 44 but the reviews were not very good, a poor compromise at best. Instead we chose a $90 Oster extra large countertop oven and keep it on top of the dual fridges as you have on board your DF44. Yes, it takes up space but we bake bread from scratch, bake cookies, have roasted prime ribs, turkey breasts, and more, all quite successfully. We installed a small microwave on a shelf over the sink. It works for us.

We have a GE Advantage Microwave/Convection Oven. We replaced an older GE unit with this one because it fits in the space. The newer unit had a much larger space inside to cook baking sheet and a pizza.
As for cooking - we have lived aboard for 11 yrs and used it often. We have cooked most anything we wanted in it - wife bakes bread, cakes, brownies in it. We have cooked many holiday hams and turkeys in it.
Unit is not like the gas range/oven we had in the house but we have been overall very happy with it.

Our Samsung seems to do nachos well. But won't toast.

Ian, without knowing the space limitations you might be better served by a conventional electric or propane oven, and a separate compact microwave that takes an entree size plate.( Note "entree" here means "starter",In US it means main course,so I mean a main meal plate.)

Now that I remember, a local bud could maybe be interested in Princess range parts; apparently they're mostly non-existent these days...

But … But … But …

I thought the whole purpose of a convection oven was browning small crispy animals.

Yeah, ours browns fine.

-Chris

I am a big fan of convection ovens and microwaves, but..... A convection oven is great for items that need long cooking times, Turkey comes to mind, and you just don't want to spend a great deal of time cooking. So a 12 pound turkey done in a convection oven will take around 2 hours 15 minutes, much faster than conventional roasting. But how often are you going to do a turkey, and why not just get a turkey cut in half, one for the boat, one for the home freezer for further consumption latter on.

The microwave, this one I find more interesting. My boat is in refit and I told my guy I wanted a microwave. His response: "Rick, I'll put one in if you want but we have one in our boat and we just don't use it that much." Of course living in a commonwealth - Canadian here - there is God, Country, the Queen, and now of course the microwave. What I decided to do was watch how I and my wife used the microwave to see patterns. As you can guess, the great majority of what we did was re-heating of liquids and food. And can this be replaced by the stove, oven and barbecue?

So lets take popcorn in the microwave. If you are like me, you aren't a fan of how your house or boat smells after using the microwave popcorn bags. Now I'm going to sound like an old fart: "In the old days...." you took a large pot, added some oil, put in the popcorn kernels and voila - popcorn. You don't need a microwave and your boat will smell better.

You don't need your microwave for reheating. That spaghetti heated up in the microwave can just as easily be put in a pot and gently heated up. Heat kills coffee so you are better off saving hot coffee in a thermos, in fact, better coffee makers now use an insulated, double vacuum wall carafe rather than a heating plate to keep the coffee warm, rather than kill the coffee with heat.

What we Northerner's call a barbecue, isn't. A true barbecue cooks things at a long slow temperature, liked pulled pork, for instance. Our northern barbecues are really grille and oven. And I have used a barbecue to cook the turkey, just not on a boat. My favourite, any idiot can do it, is beer can chicken but instead of beer, I use Seattle Market Spice Tea with water which when steaming, gives the interior of the chicken a very gentle hint of orange. The outside of the chicken is painted with a wet rub of light tasting olive oil and Montreal Steak rub, great on chicken. The chicken comes out looking great, tasting great, and you look like a genius. Weber makes the best beer can chicken cooking utensil, pricey but great - don't wash it in a dishwasher, trust me.

One of the aspects I like about boating is the slowing down of life and I realize that a microwave on the water really isn't needed, I'm not going anywhere fast anyway. So sip a gin and tonic (with lime please), warm up the spaghetti in a pot to eat with your beer can chicken.

I told the refit guy he was right, don't install a microwave, now a toaster, that's different.

Last edited:
I hear ya, rsn48. In our case, the microwave runs off the inverter while our oven requires shore power or starting up the genset. So, we use the microwave a lot. Cooking oatmeal or warming a pop tart first thing in the morning without having to start up the genny is our way of keeping it simple. :thumb:

Propane or diesel oven and stove, more independence when at anchor. Oh and Efoy...lol.. the large one with Firefly batteries, deeper discharge and they can be abused.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. We do not have a convection microwave but DO have a conventional Princess gas stove/oven as well as a plain old $99 microwave (we do have counter space for it).

Personally, I could NOT do without an oven or a microwave due to MY style of cooking. Your food prep requirements may differ considerably.

I cannot grill anything to save my life and I have used our on board Magma grill BUT it is my last choice when cooking.

Hey, RT. We may be doing a complete refit on the galley, part of which will be updated appliances, sink, countertops, etc. Part of this will be reclaiming the counter space currently used by the tabletop microwave. The first estimates come in next week and, if they don’t sober us up, I’ll post our progress.

Folks, you need to realize that there are two types of convection ovens. The traditional type which is a standard oven with electric or gas heating elements and a fan to circulate the heat and the new type that have no heating elements inside the oven, but just have a heater built into the fan. The first type will work just like an ordinary oven with the convection part speeding up the cooking process, but still browning just like any other oven. The second type is essentially a big air popper like for popcorn: just hot air with no radiant heating at all.

Folks, you need to realize that there are two types of convection ovens. The traditional type which is a standard oven with electric or gas heating elements and a fan to circulate the heat and the new type that have no heating elements inside the oven, but just have a heater built into the fan. The first type will work just like an ordinary oven with the convection part speeding up the cooking process, but still browning just like any other oven. The second type is essentially a big air popper like for popcorn: just hot air with no radiant heating at all.

Good clarification. I’d just add that some convection microwaves also have radiant elements for broiling and browning. The convection feature on a conv/mw also allows for true baking, which you can’t do on a standard microwave.

Yeah, GE makes some pretty impressive combo ovens. But it was like operating a flight computer trying to use it. They tried making it friendly but you had to scroll through a ton of selections to 'dial in' just the right settings.

At home we have both a regular microwave and a Breville smart convection/toaster oven. But on-board we've just got the propane oven/range and a tabletop microwave.

I'd strongly suggest you spend some time with operating floor samples before going with any combo appliances. Specs and literature don't mean squat when it requires constantly referring to a manual to cook things.

I'd strongly suggest you spend some time with operating floor samples before going with any combo appliances. Specs and literature don't mean squat when it requires constantly referring to a manual to cook things.

Definitely!

I’m leaning toward a Bosch unit because it has about the largest capacity of any 27” model and would be a perfect size for a built-in in our galley.

We have a GE Advantage Microwave/Convection Oven. We replaced an older GE unit with this one because it fits in the space. The newer unit had a much larger space inside to cook baking sheet and a pizza.
As for cooking - we have lived aboard for 11 yrs and used it often. We have cooked most anything we wanted in it - wife bakes bread, cakes, brownies in it. We have cooked many holiday hams and turkeys in it.
Unit is not like the gas range/oven we had in the house but we have been overall very happy with it.

I have this same convection/micro and would recommend it. When I roast or bake, I simply do it on top rack and everything browns as you would expect.

We used a convection/microwave unit in our trailer. The boat has no generator and no room for either.

But my wife loved the first, an Apollo microwave/convection oven. They are 24" wide for RV use which would be suitable for many boats. It failed one year, after several, when we were travelling and I was not able to repair it at the time. I took it home to check it but the boat needs took over and it got ignored so eventually got the boot permanently. I did figure out the door protection switches were the problem.
In its favour it would brown properly and she cooked small roasts and similar along with the potatoes and roasted veggies.

The replacement was a Sharp R-820-BK which did us for any years. My wife was not quite so happy with it although it still did a decent job, just not as good at the browning and whole meal cooking.
We almost never used the propane oven.

They both operated on 120V AC although it took a 20A outlet and supply. I never did actually measure the current so cannot tell you exactly what it drew.
They both had heater coils in the roof for the browning.

Good ventilation is needed though as when browning it NEEDS good cooling. THey will get hot.

Anyways, they might be worth a look.

I love having a propane cook top and oven. No need to start the generator to cook. Efficient as well we have yet to refill propane. I also have a small microwave and toaster oven.

Convection is the only way to go on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom