Ford Lehman 135 mechanic, Florida?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Anyone know of a good Ford Lehman mechanic in the West Palm Beach-Jupiter-Stuart Florida area? Have a relatively easy solenoid/starter issue on one engine. So easy a caveman could do it. Someday I hope to elevate to Caveman status when it comes to electrical stuff. Prefer to watch someone first and then have at it.

Last edited:
Any competent mechanic should be able to TS a starter.
FWIW, you might find what you need on Youtube.

Any competent mechanic should be able to TS a starter.
FWIW, you might find what you need on Youtube.

Agreed. Thought i would take the opportunity to tie into a FL one for future use as needed and some general questions I have now. Did look at Youtube, Calders book, etc. Just not comfortable with electrical stuff. Spoke with Brian at AD and he gave me some step by step so will go down to the boat tonight and give it a go. I was thinking solenoid and he says relay. Will see. I'm betting on him. Now need arms long enough to hold a test probe on the relay while pushing the start button.... I know there is a way around that too but.....

Before you buy anything, climb in there and check the wiring.

When I was once working on mine it would not crank. Knew it had to be simple, it had just started.

Took about three minutes to find a loose wire, tightened it up and was good to go.

Forgot to mention, any Ford farm dealer would work. Have him set valves while in there. Also check your dampner plate! Review my blog for changing it out, grandbankschoices.

Thanks Larry. I know it is simple but again when you don't know much..well, you don't know much. What are the specs I need on a relay? I see dozens listed online but what am I looking for exactly? Assuming (hoping) this is the problem.

Look for a 12 VDC automotive, 5-Pin, SPDT 30 or 40A Bosch type relay. I have a couple of different ones but they’re interchangeable for this.

Attachments

• 5C99E982-6905-4190-B573-C10FF8A67300.jpg
    5C99E982-6905-4190-B573-C10FF8A67300.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 0130670D-C0A2-49A2-BCDB-703F5471B52A.jpg
    0130670D-C0A2-49A2-BCDB-703F5471B52A.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 56
Larry, where/how would I hook up the remote starter switch given that I have a neutral safety switch or would that even matter?

At this point, I’d just drag a dock mate down to turn the key for you. :)
You should also have a circuit breaker or fuse in the circuit. If the relay went, and they do since they are mechanical, also check the fuse or breaker. Heres a basic drawing on how ours is wired and I’d expect yours to be similar. We have a breaker at the helm panel.

Attachments

• 971E3557-AD21-4A85-B564-E3A24ABBF26F.gif
    971E3557-AD21-4A85-B564-E3A24ABBF26F.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 196
Thanks everyone. I'm not going to call anyone to the boat. I know this is a simple problem and it begs for me to dig in a little and learn something about the electrical/starting system. If I can't learn enough to sort this out without calling a friggin mechanic then I really should give up on cruising next year, sell the boat, and take up Pickle Ball or Shuffle Board.

You want a relay like this. Every auto parts store has them.

Attachments

• Relay.jpg
    Relay.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 64
Here’s a picture of our SP135 starter with the seloniod and relay. The relay could also be at the front of the engine by the fuel solenoid.

Attachments

• E5B1E4E2-7F49-4B56-8A2C-861A03776CF6.jpg
    E5B1E4E2-7F49-4B56-8A2C-861A03776CF6.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
OK, went to boat and had the dock master help me out. No power from start button. Played around with flybridge port gear in and out of gear and into neutral and the engine started. Went and jiggled the gear some more and it wouldn't start. Back one more time, started. Seems I have a very sensitive neutral safety switch or its going bad. Since I have never had this before I will assume it has or is going bad. I believe that is an easy fix.... if I can locate it. New problem though (never stops huh?) I noticed that the stop solenoid or relay on the same engine keeps clicking after shut down while the stop button is pushed. Are the start and stop relays exactly the same or different for some reason? Looks to me like the stop relay I have installed is different as it is an open face connection rather than enclosed like the starter relay. Of course I assume I am looking at the relay for the stop solenoid. Could be something else I guess.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom