Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
Left side of the picture, stainless.

Questions:
  1. Can you take the top off normally, in other words just unbolt it and reach in and clean out gunk? I assume the waterline is below it (I'll verify of course)
  2. Is there or should there be a strainer in there? If there isn't when I crack it, is that a problem (I'd think so, although I see a strainer inline in places.
  3. Confirm that the plastic elbow at the bottom is a bad idea. I think it is, no valve and could break easily.
  4. Is it OEM? Add on?
  5. Is it a plus for the boat, or a liability?
  6. I probably forgot a question, general opining encouraged.

This is the second time I have seen this type sea chest setup recently. I ran into it while looking at a boat last year. A mid 30's foot Carver, I think. The set up on that boat was vastly different. The sea chest was heavily supported against a bulkhead and set atop a brass or bronze seacock. It had a screen in it that was shaped kind of like a basket. The top was roughly 12 inches or so above the water line. It had an air fitting on top. I was lead to believe it was for relieving air pressure and also for blowing debris out of the sea chest and/or the seacock. It had several 3/4 and 1-inch valves connected to it. I never looked to see where all of them went. Most went to AC systems and the genset. The engines had their own seacocks.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote