Thread: Marina dilemma
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #28
Craig Schreck
Veteran Member

City: newport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What a mess we do create when we have no written agreements. Here's how I see it.

1. You purchased a boat but failed to insure it. You're lucky to have anything left, much less to only have a couple of thousand in damage.

2. Marina has no contracts, you had none, nothing clear at all about liability and obligation so defaults to laws and standards and only way to sort it out would be a lot of legal wrangling.

3. If you can hold anyone liable, it's the marina as they're the ones who contracted with the crane and they could then make a claim against the crane operator.

Sloppy way for all to do business. If Marina had to pay everything they potentially could be held responsible for or all the potential court cases then likely wouldn't survive. They have to say "no" to everyone including you. One more case of lousy land storage being no better, and often worse, in hurricanes than water storage.

You can't have it both ways now. Either you want to maintain relationship with the marina and are willing to just accept your loss or you want to fight it and move to another marina. But while you're placing blame and debating whether to place it with marina or crane operator, you really should be putting the majority on yourself. You had no insurance. You had no written agreement specifying yours or their responsibility. Now, you have a minor loss and they have major losses and you're surprised they're not willing to help with yours.

You also say you weren't contacted but did you contact them, did you go to the location, did you monitor what took place? Something tells me you were paying very little for land storage there but now you want to hold them to a very high standard. Can't work like that.

Accept your loss and move forward and don't repeat your mistakes.

Excellent reply, the marina storage is in inline in pricing in this area & yes I was slack on buying insurance, if there wasn't the storm all I had to do was paint the bottom & launch planned for in October including insurance overboard, got caught short no doubt about it. I was there the day the roads opened, called every day and left several messages over time. didn't want to be a total pest. went back to the boat shortly after the first visit to find the damages from the clean up operation. My job requires a lot of my time so I feel I did my part the best I could. We offer emergency storm services for generators, a lot of them owned by utility company's. the storm backed us up 45 days.
Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote