Shark Bite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Ursa
Vessel Make
Paasch custom CPMY
Hope someone can help out a new member.
Just came across AB Marine's "shark bite" prop shaft line cutters. Does any have experience with the shark bite? Pros and cons relative to Spurs line cutters. Hauling out Monday so any quick response would be greatly appreciated.

No experience with Shark Bites, but I did install Spurs on my previous boat, an old 34 Mainship.
In the 13 years they were in place I cut 2 lines.
Spurs cut immediately. You hear a "thunk" as the line is being chopped and the buoy hits the hull. Look back and the buoy is floating.

I know some boaters who have the Shark Bites, but to my knowledge they have not been called to action as of yet.

Shark bite do work

I had Spurs on my old Tiara and they worked, but often had a part break, which required a haul and costly replacement parts. On the next Tiara , I changed to shark. the shark bite has no parts, doesn't break, and works well up here in New England with the inevitable lobster pot each and every year. Highly recommend.

Spurs break and serrated discs are said to wind up line before cutting plus they all cost a fortune for what they are. I use this, I live in Maine where there's a pot buoy every ten feet and it's worked for me, $134.00 plus shipping from ASAP supplies in the UK. 1234.jpg A suggestion, I put rubber hose and duct tape over mine when hauled out, a friend's dog got cut pretty bad running under someone else's boat that has a serrated disc.

Last edited:
I had Spurs on my old Tiara and they worked, but often had a part break, which required a haul and costly replacement parts. On the next Tiara , I changed to shark. the shark bite has no parts, doesn't break, and works well up here in New England with the inevitable lobster pot each and every year. Highly recommend.

I have to say I never had an issue with my spurs. I changed the plastic "bearing" only once in the 13 years (and almost 2000 hours) and of course changed the zinc every winter haulout.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom