$675 USCG Documentation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

Buying a trawler. Broker forwarded me to a closing agent.

Is $675 to check for liens / document reasonable? (Plus $110 for 5 year renewal.) Or is that something I can easily do myself?

I'm asking because their quoted prices for FL registration have big upcharges in them (I know because I've state registered boats before)...but I have no idea about CG docs.

You can walk into a regional CG office and do everything yourself. Or the forms are available online. There are many agents that do all the paperwork for you for a fee. From what I've seen, about $500 in fees that you can avoid by doing it yourself. I've been doing my own for about 60 years.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi...s-DCO-D/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/
(USCG home page) Use the pull down menu under Mariners for the Documentation Center.

Attachments

• Fee_Schedule.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 43
Do it yourself. Checking for liens costs $25, transferring ownership costs $92, both directly from the Coast Guard. CG's online documentation is a little confusing, but you can call them and they will explain better - assuming the government opens again for business....

That seems a bit high. I think I paid about 400 three years ago. If you have a loan on the boat the bank will probably require you to use an agent. Otherwise it is pretty simple to do yourself.

One of those "brokers" sites got me for $300+ to change my name. Looked pretty official on the page too. It's really easy and you can call the CG if you have questions

Marine title/closing companies sometimes get involved if there are loans/banks in the mix. We used a marine title co. when we bought Hobo. They collected the money and did the final distribution. The seller had a loan to pay off.

Their fee was $500. $675 sounds a little high but it’s been 11 plus years.

Congratulations!

$110 for a 5 years of documentation? Is that based on the new CG documentation period? Just be sure it's not the outfit that's hosing everyone on renewals pretending to be the USCG. I think the 5 year thing did get signed into law, but I don't know when it becomes effective.

All that said, the cost is about right if you don't want to hassle with it yourself.

Is $675 to check for liens / document reasonable? (Plus $110 for 5 year renewal.) Or is that something I can easily do myself?

I'm asking because their quoted prices for FL registration have big upcharges in them (I know because I've state registered boats before)...but I have no idea about CG docs.

Super easy to do yourself... easier than registering a vehicle/trailer at the DMV!

As another poster said, you can check abstract of title yourself on NVDC's website for ~$25. Expect a back log due to government shut down. Actually curious if that department is shutdown right now. When it was not shutdown I got the title report back in 1-3 business days, one even came same day.

I only have used a doc agent when a lender required me to use one. Of course the lender and brokers were recommending someone that was $700. I found a service for $400 with all fees included. Have used them any time I have had to use a doc agent otherwise do it myself.

You haven't really told us what is being included in the $675. Is there a prior lien being released? Does this include state documentation? Was the boat previously documented or just registered? Does it have a title then? If just registered, then do you have builder's documents certifying tonnage?

If it's just checking liens and transferring an existing documentation, then that amount is not reasonable, but I'd have to see exactly what you were quoted on to really know.

All of that stuff is really easy to do yourself. The NVDC web site is a great resource and full of instructions and forms. I’ve been doing it all for myself since my first vessel.

I’ve even done lien releases myself.

Who does what and pays for it should have been detailed in sales agreement signed. It's not in that written agreement negotiate....you never get what you deserve you get what you negotiate.

Those fees are about what I paid the dealer for my last new car with no loan involved. Many years ago when buying boats for inland waters my personal bank handled the loans and paperwork for no fees at all. Enough down payment and out the door. They were happy to get the loan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom