Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

"Uncharted rocks and shoals" DANGEROUS

A high tech nuc submarine was transiting back to its home port.... submerged....
Hit an uncharged underseas mountain, caved in the bow, destroyed all the sonar gear and torpedo tubes, killed one Machinist Mate in the engine room.

Self driving cars are not going a very good job either.

At 6kts you'd probaby double the range of that boat to 3000 miles. Assuming and engine speed of 1800rpm at 8.5kts. 1400-1600 rpm would bring her down to a more sedate speed of 6kts. That may put the fuel burn around the 2gph range. Dang it all to heck! Now I want to build a Sockeye and cruise the world. :lol:

Oh, I'm sure they will be happy to build one for you.

I would like the fiberglass to extend aft about 3-4 inches beyond the transom for added rain protection.
I extended the overhead on both my N46 and now my AT34/36 with canvas. Much better than the factory design open deck

Oh, I'm sure they will be happy to build one for you.

I would like the fiberglass to extend aft about 3-4 inches beyond the transom for added rain protection.
I extended the overhead on both my N46 and now my AT34/36 with canvas. Much better than the factory design open deck
Do you have any pictures of your extend canvas? Almost all of our aft deck is hardtop covered with the exception of the last 3 ft or so. I was thinking about canvas myself .

Do you have any pictures of your extend canvas? Almost all of our aft deck is hardtop covered with the exception of the last 3 ft or so. I was thinking about canvas myself .

Mine is nothing special. Any good canvas shop can dseign and install the supports. Remember to slope it down at the aft end and at the port and starboard edges about an inch or two. This will reduce or prevent standing water.
Then, if you wish, canvas enough to close it totally in.
As I said, mine is not perfect. I figure, one more hurricane and I will renew the canvas and change the design a little bit.

Last edited:

A high tech nuc submarine was transiting back to its home port.... submerged....
Hit an uncharged underseas mountain, caved in the bow, destroyed all the sonar gear and torpedo tubes, killed one Machinist Mate in the engine room.

Autonomous flying livery "Plars" [carting persons back and forth] in cities will be a gassss to behold during rush hours! Can you imagine a "Plar" jamb in the sky between skyscrapers; where all "Plars"must hover in place for a while?? Their winds would blow Don Don's gold colored hair right onto his shoulder. He'd call them fake taxies.

Uber drivers will go broke. "Plar" flying vehicles will be used just to get people to locations for spending $$$... cause... no one will need work any more as everything is automated by robots and the govt will monthly supply spending cash stipends to every citizen!

Tiz a Brave and Nutty Hi-Tech World we're entering into. Unfortunately, if we don't solve the soon to arrive in earnest, currently looming global ecosystem catastrophes... the words brave and nutty can be altered to read Bye, Bye Civilization - as we know it! :facepalm:

Jus sayen!! :popcorn:

Marty: Do you have full headroom on that aft deck?

Last edited:
Marty: Do you have full headroom on that aft deck?
Yes for us we have plenty headroom, for you probably not. Remember we have a ceiling fan back there.:hide:

Last edited:
IF that's the only flaw you can come up with, install a 12vt water maker and 'head out'. SMILE

Diver, here is one for sale.... lists 120 gal of water.
Price is a bit much for me.

Boat for sale - Devlin Sockeye Fantail Cruiser - 45'

Ok, let me put it another way, it's a beautiful boat for a weekend getaway. For the length and cost, it lacks a lot as an extended range cruising boat. The water capacity of a sailboat and no water maker, is what first caught my eye.

Ted

Ok, let me put it another way, it's a beautiful boat for a weekend getaway. For the length and cost, it lacks a lot as an extended range cruising boat. The water capacity of a sailboat and no water maker, is what first caught my eye.

Ted

Having spent 6 months sea kayaking, calling the Devlin Sockeye a weekend boat is laughable. Also, there’s plenty of fresh water to drink or replenish your tanks by rain, creek, or river on this coast!

Last edited:

I think uncharted rocks and shoals would trip up a manned vessel as well. I don't see the entire Navy going to autonomous ships, but I'm sure there are a lot of applications where a drone ship would be very useful.

Last edited:
Had a chance to get on that Sockeye 45 was at the Seattle Boat Show. Tidy well laid out little vessel. Kind hard not to fall for her, but the price was a bit steep.

New member here and am looking for a boat. Saw this one last fall in Anacortes. It’s been on Yachtworld for a little while. Anyone else taken a look at it?

I've been on her at a boat show. Interesting boat, needs some re-work interior-wise in my opinion.

Having spent 6 months sea kayaking, calling the Devlin Sockeye a weekend boat is laughable. Also, there’s plenty of fresh water to drink or replenish your tanks by rain, creek, or river on this coast!
In their description, not the used boat advertisement, they list it as a West and East coast cruising boat, hence my comment on water capacity for the East coast.

Ted

Hello Northern Spy
I was given your name by a fellow boater that said you were the man to talk to about my million questions. I just bought and Old 1070 Comodo and will renovate it.
Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom