Helm cord management?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
With the advent of more and more use of phone/tablets or other portable devices, what are others using to make cabling more manageable? I'm talking enclosed helm space, not outdoor.

I hate the look of typical Blue Sea 12v accessory outlets.

That said, there are many different standards for how USB devices charge. To that end it's often best to make use of a 12v accessory socket charger. This way you're not stuck with sockets that don't provide what newer devices might need.

To that end I'm thinking of using something akin to a floor/desk grommet box. Something like the kind available from Mockett.

https://www.mockett.com/max/max8-a.html

The idea being I'd hide a pair of 12v sockets behind this to allow for replacing them as needs change, but not having the ugly surface mount kinds of sockets.

I realize there's not likely to be an 'off the shelf' solution that does this. I'm fully expecting to have to fabricate a mounting panel or box behind the grommet door. I'd like to at least have access to plug/unplug devices when needed.

The challenge is in finding the right search terms for such things. Anyone seen/used a hinged door sort of grommet on a boat?

Attachments

• max8-a-90-01_1.png
    max8-a-90-01_1.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 14122279.jpg
    14122279.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 85

Attachments

• 17_zoom_1488406713[1].jpg
    17_zoom_1488406713[1].jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 89
Some considerations I'm trying to accommodate:
  • use 12v sockets to allow for replacing the chargers as standards change
  • access to the usb sockets to plug/unplug as devices change, like guest phones or an infrequently used device.
  • no have ugly devices sticking out of the helm console.

The circled areas in this picture are where I'm thinking of installing something.

I'm going to be removing those two B&G H1000 displays. I'll likely be replacing at least one of them with a Maretron DSM250. And when I do so they'll likely get moved upward a bit, leaving more room than the H1000's have below them now. If need be, the upper panel is easily replaceable, as it's just a 3/8" sheet. The lower one, however, is not. It'd take more doing to change the lower surface.

Attachments

• circled 20180410_122351.jpg
    circled 20180410_122351.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 111
There's also potentially more room on the sides of the console. This also shows the phone cradle I've been using (it wireless charges the phone).

You can also (barely) make out the existing USB cable I've got draped across the lower console to the one 12v socket on the helm, down next to wheel (no decent picture of it).

Whatever I do end up using will have short USB cables making the connection. I want neat and tidy, not generic 1m cables and twist-ties.

Attachments

• 20180722_174220.jpg
    20180722_174220.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 100
Yes, power feeds for charging is a challenge. Many years ago we adopted the notion that wiring and cabling became a priority for new installs and vessel orderliness. We've one friend who bought a new vessel primarily to get his wiring and instruments under control. It can get crazy.

On a side note --

On several occasions we've had guests on board who arrive with enough gear and wires to mimic a shore Best Buy. Finding counter space for the guest stuff is a challenge. Then the frustration sets in because we are seldom cruising in cell tower or shore Wi Fi range. After a few days the bare necessities remain and card games and social conversation occur, kinda fun that way.

I would use USB sockets, not lighter sockets. But as you note, the challenge (or one of them) is to find devices that support the max USB power which I think is 2.5A. All the outlets on my last boat were Vimar, so I used a bunch of their AC powered USB receptacles. I was able to fit them into existing boxes and use the existing wiring, which made the job palatable. As I recall, by boxes were 3-gang and were populated with 2 US outlets and a blank in the middle. The USB outlet is 2-gang, so I pulled one US plug outlet and replaced it and the blank with the 2-up USB device. One of the USB ports on each device was high power, so it would charge an iPad.

The really high power charging I think is only on USB-C, and brings 19V instead of 5V to the device. I don't think that's available through the bigger USB-A. Oops, just did some reading and see that it's available in the older plug format too.

Anyway, I'll be trying to install the higher power outlets at least in a couple of places. It sure would be nice to just plug a laptop into a USB-A or C jack and not have a charger flopping around. But it implies a pretty large 60-100W power supply to product 20V @5A.

On several occasions we've had guests on board who arrive with enough gear and wires to mimic a shore Best Buy. Finding counter space for the guest stuff is a challenge.

We have ended up creating pseudo charging stations on the boat and at home. With one or two different cables, you can plug in most anything for a charge. It helps a bit.

Yes, power feeds for charging is a challenge. Many years ago we adopted the notion that wiring and cabling became a priority for new installs and vessel orderliness. We've one friend who bought a new vessel primarily to get his wiring and instruments under control. It can get crazy.

On a side note --

On several occasions we've had guests on board who arrive with enough gear and wires to mimic a shore Best Buy. Finding counter space for the guest stuff is a challenge. Then the frustration sets in because we are seldom cruising in cell tower or shore Wi Fi range. After a few days the bare necessities remain and card games and social conversation occur, kinda fun that way.

Agreed, on all points. I'd like to make things as orderly as possible without jumping through too many hoops. There's several points to consider with USB charging:
  1. several different standards for charging
  2. using 12v vs AC
  3. cables, oh so many cables
  4. space for the devices while charging
  5. powering devices while in-use
  6. fragility of USB sockets

This eventually leads to the notion of using 12v accessory/cigarette lighter socket style adapters. They're relatively inexpensive. So supporting more than one charging standard isn't too difficult. And likewise won't break the bank if/when they need replacing. They avoid needing AC power from the shore/generator/inverter. That handles points 1,2 and 6.

Points 4 and 5 get to the question of how to use a 12v socket in a way that doesn't look awful.

Does anyone know if Vimar makes a 12v accessory socket for their Idea trim line? Or do they make a 2 position blank? As that would probably be large enough to contain one. I've not found any reference to either in any Vimar materials I've come across. I've ordered a Euro style AC socket with the idea of possibly altering it to fit a 12v socket.

You might contact boatoutfitters.com. They make all kinds of storage boxes and can custom make a little box with a door on it.

I'm not looking for exterior grade stuff, so items from Starboard and vacu-formed plastic aren't what I'm after.

I posed a similar question to an AV group and one user recommended Extron or Creston, for their conference room cable cubbies.

I think that's more along the lines of what I'm after. But even better, it sparked some better search terms. Sometimes the key to finding stuff is knowing the right search terms to narrow your results.

I don't need one exactly like this with an AC socket in it, but it gets closer to the overall idea of what I'm after.

Attachments

• cablecubby202_ep.jpg
    cablecubby202_ep.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 486
Ok, progress of sorts. The boat has switch plates that use Vimar Idea modules. Beyond just the helm area I've been debating how to get 12v power to other locations and keep it looking nice.

I ordered up a Euro power socket thinking it might be a workable way to get a 12v socket into a 2 position location. They're reasonably cheap and come apart easily enough, leaving a clip that'll hold in one of the frames.

Here's picture of the parts. You can see that a 12v device will fit, diameter-wise. The big question will be how deep does the socket protrude and will there be enough space for that behind the panel. In one place, the side of the lower helm, it won't matter. But in some other places it might.

I don't have any 12v sockets here at the moment so I can't test the idea further.

I've also ordered up a flatter AC socket with the idea of drilling it out and having the socket flange be able to cover any of the usual AC power holes.

Near as I've been able to determine Vimar has never made a 2 position blank, just the 1 position size.

Attachments

• euro 12v hack.jpg
    euro 12v hack.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 63
And the flat style works even better. This one would allow the 12v socket to sit on the face of the module surface and thus not require as much inward space.

I think the Euro round ones might work better if I put sockets on the starboard side of the helm console. There's enough room to put a Vimar frame on there but any excessively tall 12v devices (and their cords) might be a tight fit. It's the space where the arrow points.

Now that I've found the sort of pieces that will fit, I'll order up a frame and plate to see how it all comes together. Best know that BEFORE carving any holes into teak.

Attachments

• aus 12v hack.jpg
    aus 12v hack.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 53
  • arrow 20180411_153259.jpg
    arrow 20180411_153259.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 45
For the face of the helm it occurs to me I might be able to use a Decora style keystone frame and some pass-through USB keystones. This might let me put the transformers inside the console and not have to as concerned about how it looks on the front.

Attachments

• black usb3 keystone.jpg
    black usb3 keystone.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 420
  • frame.png
    frame.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 425
I installed a Blue Seas USB outlet last spring for my wife's side so we could stop running cables all over the dash. Hasn't stopped the mess entirely but a big improvement.

Unit I went with is Blue Seas #1045. Simply mounts in a round hole although in my case I bought a bracket since it was not to be mounted in the dash.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1045/12_24V_Dual_USB_4.8A_Chargers_-_Socket_Mount

I had a hole from a power cord to an old gps. I added this outlet can charge two phones and or if I want to use my iPad as backup chart plotter a short cord to a mounting arm.

Attachments

• 3C27D401-0398-4362-B592-C409DCE9204E.jpg
    3C27D401-0398-4362-B592-C409DCE9204E.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 53
  • E2E1357E-682C-4918-B4EA-33D87B180E11.jpg
    E2E1357E-682C-4918-B4EA-33D87B180E11.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 43
The downside to embedded USB sockets is you don't get fast charging features. You're stuck with whatever wattage/voltage is supplied. Lots of stuff now is using more wattage and higher voltages. I'm trying to avoid installing a dead-end from the get-go. That and USB sockets are fragile. My wife & child can break one just looking at it, or so it seems.

I'm going to order some pass-through keystones and see whether they support the various charging formats properly.

I've got 2.4A USB sockets everywhere. 4 at the upper helm alone, along with 2 12V "cigarette lighter" style outlets which can take a USB adapter. We've had up to five USB devices plugged in at once up there.

For USB sockets, I use the ones that come in the same size as the cigarette lighter outlets. Presumably, technology will change in a few years and they'll be easily swapped out with whatever replaces the current flavor of USB ports.

I'll put in my two cents worth for USB sockets as well. I've installed them at both helms (replacing the old lighter sockets) and they are very convenient.

My needs were to recharge my zillion candle power flash light, hand held radio & have a 110 receptacle at the ready.

Attachments

• 110v & USBs.jpg
    110v & USBs.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 36
I prefer not to have any chargers or power outlets at the helm. That's where I operate the boat. Everthing there is fixed permanently. I don't like things dangling around, and don't use portable devices for navigating while underway.

All the plugs, chargers and electronic accessories are kept at the navigation station where there is plenty of storage space and power outlets for everthing.

I prefer not to have any chargers or power outlets at the helm. That's where I operate the boat. Everthing there is fixed permanently. I don't like things dangling around, and don't use portable devices for navigating while underway.

All the plugs, chargers and electronic accessories are kept at the navigation station where there is plenty of storage space and power outlets for everthing.

Glad that works for you. But that's not what I've asked, nor how I have things set up. So....?

My needs were to recharge my zillion candle power flash light, hand held radio & have a 110 receptacle at the ready.

Yeah, I've already got those ugly Blue Sea 12v sockets, well, ONE anyway, and it's very poorly positioned. Likewise the AC plug is right next to it. They're positioned just to the right/starboard of the wheel (circled in green). Anything plugged into them is a hazard for being banged into if you're coming/going through the starboard side door.

On the upper helm they're likewise poorly positioned, but that's a whole other set of issues.

When the boat was built in 2005 and previous owners spec'd the electronics I'm sure lots of things were different. There's a few new things out and I'd like to find ways to get them set up without being a disruption.

So, yeah, I "get it" lots of folks want to use x, y or z and hate anything else. That's fine, go with that!

I'm just looking to fine-tune how MY boat is setup to fit MY desires.

Attachments

• circled AC-12v helm.jpg
    circled AC-12v helm.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 31
I'm avoiding using AC for all this as we have plenty of battery capacity. That and I'd prefer to avoid running the generator when not needed and not lose charge on various devices. Guest phones, kids tablets, etc.

We do have an inverter but then it just wasted wattage battery->inverter->charger->devices. Might as well just have 12v->charger->devices.

The upper station has AC behind a Vimar membrane door on the port side (outlet and on/off switch) and a Blue Sea 12v on the starboard side. The Vimar cover on the starboard also has AC along with an RJ11 phone jack.

And IS there ever a good place to stow/charge the zillion-candlepower flashlights? The real hassle with most of them is their internal circuits aren't really designed to be charged constantly. Leaving them plugged in often kills the batteries. The flip side being they're dead.

I've got all my workshop chargers at home on a controlled switch. It automagically turns on overnight for a few hours as a means to 'top off' anything that might need it. Same thing for the kid's scooter.

It'd be nice to have something similar on the boat. More on that when these other things start to get sorted out.

Attachments

• power on flybridge.jpg
    power on flybridge.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom