An interesting place to visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
Went down to Oregon over the weekend to look at a specific airplane, and on the way back on Sunday visited the Maritime Museum in Astoria, something we have meant to do for a couple of decades now.* Well worth visiting if you're in that area.

The attached photos give you an idea of what they have there.

The big green engine is an Atlas diesel.* To give an idea of its size, the flywheel on the front weighs two tons.

The painting and the model are of the Beaver, the first steamship in the Pacific Northwest.* Owned by the Hudson Bay Company, the boat underwent various modifications and had--- IIRC-- an almost 50 year career in the Northwest, eventually foundering on a rock in Vancouver harbor, British Columbia.

The battleship and sailing ship are samples of the excellent models of northwest signficance they have on display.

The musem has a number of watercraft on display inside.* This early Columbia River gillnetter is my favorite.* Wonderful design, I think.

They also have a fully-rigged salmon troller from (I think) the 1940s.

Outside they have the lightship that was anchored six miles off the mouth of the Columbia River until 1979 when it was replaced with the buoy in the foreground.

The last photo is for Eric Henning, who I assume is currently in the midst of his move from Alaska to here.* It's the Columbia's mushroom anchor, which with the ships all-chain rode, held the vessel in place even in the face of screaming winds and thirty foot waves.

The Columbia River bar is the most dangerous bar in North America, the western hemisphere, or the world, I can't remember which.* The museum puts a major focus on the bar and pilots that go out in every condition imaginable to board ships and guide them across the bar into the river where they are then taken over by a river pilot.* The process is reversed for outbound ships.* Several past pilot boats are on display inside and outside the museum and there are some very good video presentations on the realities of being a Columbia River bar pilot.

There is also a major focus on the USCG's presence and patrol and rescue activites on the bar, with several generations of USCG vessels on display.

The museum is not huge, but it is very well done and the displays on everything from commercial fishing to the transport of of bulk goods up and down the river and across the bar are excellent.

Of particular interest to me was a full-size pilothouse of a typical modern river tug, the ones that push and pull strings of barges as far up the river system, which includes the Snake, as Lewiston, Idaho.* I had read about the way these boats are steered both here and on the Mississippi watershed, using levers instead of a wheel, and finally thanks to this exhibit I now know what the system looks like and how it is used.* Very different from what we are used to in our boats.

So if you're in the Astoria area, the museum is well worth a visit in* my opinion.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 02:58:32 PM

Attachments

• img_0359.jpg
    img_0359.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 98
  • img_0361.jpg
    img_0361.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 94
  • img_0321.jpg
    img_0321.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 103
  • img_0331.jpg
    img_0331.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 90
  • img_0330.jpg
    img_0330.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 90
  • img_0328.jpg
    img_0328.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 83
  • img_0326.jpg
    img_0326.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 87
  • img_0344.jpg
    img_0344.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 103
  • img_0342.jpg
    img_0342.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 102
  • img_0351.jpg
    img_0351.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 84
  • img_0352.jpg
    img_0352.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 89
  • img_0349.jpg
    img_0349.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 88
  • img_0347.jpg
    img_0347.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 96
Went there and to the Tillamook Air Museum.* Both very interesting.* Every time I see a Corsair, I think that it is such a large plane have such elegant styling.* Until standing beside it it is hard to realize how large it is.

We were at the museum in Astoria some years back as part of a Lindblad Expedition voyage up the Columbia and Snake. Nice museum. Also, the trip as a whole was quite interesting. The dam and lock system on the Columbia is impressive (and controversial). Took jet boat trip up the Snake, doing in hours what took weeks of winching up the rapids for steamers in days gone by. Quite a process.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 04:54:43 PM

Great museum. When I lived in Portland I used to get down there regularly - even pulled out on their dock as I finished my 100+ mi. kayak trip down the Columbia. Everyone thought I was part of the show so they let me hang out around the museum all day. If anyone gets down that way, be sure to stop in at Josephson's Smoke House just down the street for some excellent smoked sturgeon, salmon, clams, oysters...

dvd

-- Edited by dvd on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 09:11:43 PM

Attachments

• a heavy.jpg
    a heavy.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 93
Yes, the museums I enjoy most deal with technology, old or new.

232323232%7Ffp53834%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A9%3A8%3A84%3B336nu0mrj

I've got a good friend who used to fly one of those. Not in the war, he had a restored one.

"Living" museums are even more interesting.* In 2002, took this picture of a Heisler locomotive built near the end of the 19th century.* The locomotive hauled logs*for the Westside Lumber Co. between Tuolumne*and Yosemite National Park.* Now hauls*tourists in Felton, CA.* As a 13-year-old, climbed in the locomotive when it was parked beside the log mill just after operations had been terminated (1960).

232323232%7Ffp53433%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323845947%3A657nu0mrj

Very nice. I have a brass HOn3 model of that same locomotive, Westside #3. Westside #3 was converted from narrow gauge to standard gauge and then back again. It is currently numbered as Roaring Camp and Big Trees #2.* Westside had an identical locomotive, Westside #2.* It is currently in the city park at Tuolumne.

PS--- If you're interested in the Westside, Mark, have you got the two excellent*books by Mallory Hope Ferrell, "Westside: Narrow Gauge in the Sierra" and his "Westside Pictorial?"* If*not you should check them out.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 11:00:38 PM

I've had a couple rides on Westside #3 in Felton.* My brother was a real railroad "foamer"!* I would like to spend another day in Astoria.* I was working near there a few years ago and didn't have the time to explore it properly.

Columbia Light Ship

Lyle Gun (interesting technology*from the time)

Maritime museum from top of Astoria Column (Patterned after the Trajan Column in Rome)

Attachments

• columbia.jpg
    columbia.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 88
  • lyle-gun.jpg
    lyle-gun.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 78
  • museum.jpg
    museum.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 93
If any of you are ever in Paris, make a point of going to the Maritime Museum in the Place Trocadero. it is AMAZING...! I could have spent a day there and not seen it all, but the wife and son were with me, so only spent half a day. I will try to upload some pics when I can get round to editing that part of my video record of the trip. Did you ever make it to there in your travels Marin...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C3%A9e_national_de_la_Marine

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 12:01:38 AM

Peter B wrote:
If any of you are ever in Paris, make a point of going to the Maritime Museum in the Place Trocadero. it is AMAZING...! ...Did you ever make it to there in your travels Marin...?
*Yes.* But while it is a truly excellent museum my wife and I have a MAJOR beef about it.* And that is that all the labels and explanations of the exhibits were in French only.* French is a beautiful language and it's my fault I don't speak it given my heritage but I would have thought given the international visitors the museum gets that they would have put all the information at each exhibit in at least French, English, and German.

We were there a little over three years ago so perhaps it's changed since then, but that was our one complaint about it.* If they had an English language setup vistors could access they were very secretive about it.* We heard other visitors complaining about this during our visit, too.* Even the tiny Jean Francoise de La Perouse museum in Albi, La Perouse's home town, had its excellent displays in several languages.

But language issue or not, it is an excellent museum and well worth visiting if one is in Paris* It's across the Seine from the Tour Eiffel.

And on this topic but closer to home, Vancouver, BC has an excellent maritime museum, too.

Marin wrote:
Very nice. I have a brass HOn3 model of that same locomotive, Westside #3. Westside #3 was converted from narrow gauge to standard gauge and then back again. It is currently numbered as Roaring Camp and Big Trees #2.* Westside had an identical locomotive, Westside #2.* It is currently in the city park at Tuolumne.

PS--- If you're interested in the Westside, Mark, have you got the two excellent*books by Mallory Hope Ferrell, "Westside: Narrow Gauge in the Sierra" and his "Westside Pictorial?"* If*not you should check them out.

*Yes, I've been a railfan since I was thirteen, three years before being "drafted" to crew on my Dad's 29-foot sloop to race.

Shay's are nice too.

232323232%7Ffp53656%3Enu%3D3262%3E%3A7%3B%3E496%3E2353%3A7%3B587245ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp53437%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32384593%3C23%3A%3Bnu0mrj

My coworkers gave me the priceless gift of "engineer for a day" upon my retirement.* (Opened up a lot of promotions for them too.)

If any of you find yourselves in Canadian waters near Vancouver it might be worth your while to stop in at Squamish and visit the West Coast Rail Museum http://www.wcra.org/
We've usually got a few guest slips available at Squamish Yacht Club or there's a government wharf right next to us.
The museum is only about a ten minute cab ride from the water and has some very good displays. - Boyd

You all need to go to Skagway and take a trip on the White Pass & Yukon Railroad.* (Most easily done by taking a cruise ship there.)

img_74054_0_d74090fc4351f58b51f1985d3367b99a.jpg

img_74054_1_19c78e7c8e44ab803626c1cea6655c23.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 12:56:40 AM

markpierce wrote:
My coworkers gave me the priceless gift of "engineer for a day" upon my retirement.
Very cool.*

One of the items on my bucket list is to run one of these things.* This is my all-time favorite locomotive and there area still two (I think) in operation in England.* Originally built for the London & Northeast Railway (LNER) one of the A-4 fleet, the Mallard, set and still holds the official world*speed record for a steam locomotive, official being the operative word here.*

The Mallard was restored to operational condition*in the 1980s but after a few runs it became a permanent display at the National Railway Museum in York and has not been run since.* Another museum well worth visiting, by the way,*if one likes trains.*Mallard normally sits inside the Great Hall at the museum--- the photo was taken during one of it's rare visits to the sunshine.

I came very close to achieving my goal*a number of years ago when I was all*set to sign up for a one-week driver's course on one of the operational*A-4s (the Sir Nigel Gresley) until my work schedule intervened.* It was an all day every day course--- not cheap--- and at the end of the week one would be a*"certificated"*A-4*driver, not that anyone would actually*let you do it.

I haven't pursued it since, and I'm not even sure if the organizations that own the remaining A-4s even do this anymore.* But my wife has said that if they do and I can find the time I can do it.* Easy to say, right?

But maybe someday.........

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 01:11:29 AM

Attachments

• a4-2.jpg
    a4-2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 88
  • a4-1.jpg
    a4-1.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 98
  • a4-4.jpg
    a4-4.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 100
  • mallard.jpg
    mallard.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 93
markpierce wrote:Marin wrote:

*Yes, I've been a railfan since I was thirteen, three years before being "drafted" to crew on my Dad's 29-foot sloop to race.

Shay's are nice too.

232323232%7Ffp53656%3Enu%3D3262%3E%3A7%3B%3E496%3E2353%3A7%3B587245ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp53437%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D32384593%3C23%3A%3Bnu0mrj

My coworkers gave me the priceless gift of "engineer for a day" upon my retirement.* (Opened up a lot of promotions for them too.)

I am president of the Roseville Roundhouse Model RR Club (Roseville,CA). We have both HO and N layouts. We are currently designing an HOn3 shortline for the HO layout.* I have a Westside Shay No. 5.* Our home road is Western Sierra. All DCC.

C'mon down and visit, I'll give you the "presidential" tour.***** KJ

Attachments

• smokey joe.jpg
    smokey joe.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 88
  • sw7.jpg
    sw7.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 90
  • shorty.jpg
    shorty.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 86
Seems to be a lot of "common bondage" between many boaters and model railroaders.* Wonder what's the bond/common denominator?*

(Marin, I too acquired the Westside's Model of #3.* Caused me to convert my model railroad from standard guage to include both dual and narrow gauge.)

232323232%7Ffp53699%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3345%3C28463336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 01:37:10 AM

KJ wrote:
I am president of the Roseville Roundhouse Model RR Club (Roseville,CA). We have both HO and N layouts.....Our home road is Western Sierra. All DCC.

Looks great.* We built an addition on our house in the early 90s to house the model railroad*we intended to build.* It would be modeled after the electrified Milwaukee Road in the Cascades, and*we have virtually everything*we need to build it including a full complement of Milwaukee Road locomotives, rolling stock, etc., etc. etc.

But.... I simply have not had the time.* Between flying, boating, fishing,*writing and... oh yeah, work... so far what we have is a big empty 25' x 25'*room and shelves and shelves of everything from brass engines to steel trestle kits to a complete Olympian Hiawatha to*you name it.

Maybe someday.......

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 01:42:15 AM

Keep with the dream.* Retirement will come.

Marin wrote, (regarding the Maritime Museum at Place du Trocadero in Paris)...

"Yes. But while it is a truly excellent museum my wife and I have a MAJOR beef about it. And that is that all the labels and explanations of the exhibits were in French only. French is a beautiful language and it's my fault I don't speak it given my heritage but I would have thought given the international visitors the museum gets that they would have put all the information at each exhibit in at least French, English, and German."

Marin, they must have listened to you, because when we were there, not only were there cards in English on the exhibits, but there was an excellent audio system you could get for next to nothing which gave a complete run-down on the exhibits in most of the main languages, you just selected the language desired.

markpierce wrote:
seems to be a lot of "common bondage" between many boaters and model railroaders.* wonder what's the bond/common denominator?*

*toys!

Peter B wrote:Marin, they must have listened to you, because when we were there, not only were there cards in English on the exhibits, but there was an excellent audio system you could get for next to nothing which gave a complete run-down on the exhibits in most of the main languages, you just selected the language desired.
*Well, that's very good to know.* When we're in Paris again we will give it another visit.* There was a lot of cool stuff that we wanted to know more about.

And my wife just reminded me that I've been mixing up our trips to Paris.* The trip when we went to the maritime museum was way back in 2001, not just the other year.* So they have had plenty of time to get their act together since we were there :)

Another excellent maritime museum is the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, up in Dave's neck of the woods.* Went there a couple of years ago enroute back to Virginia from a trip to Prince Edward Island.* I was sort of "photographed out" after our stay on PEI plus it was just bucketing down rain, but here are a few photos I managed to take.

One of the unique things about this museum is that it occupies the former site of a large shipyard and the original shipyard buildings are incorporated into the museum.* Lots of exhibits about boat building with the tools set up and so on.* The emphasis is on the maritime history of the region.*

The boat my friend is looking at is a fishing dory typical of the ones carried on the schooners in the late 1800s and on through the 1930s or so.* Primary fish was cod, and each dory fisherman used a handline.

The long builidng is just one of the original shipyard builidngs, and I was intrigued by one of the boats stored underneath it.* I don't don't remember the make, but it looked like it would make a wonderful restoration project for someone with the time, tools, and knowledge to do the job.

Great museum, located next to the still-active Bath shipyard where they build destroyers and stuff.* So you can get a sort of old and new experience.

Attachments

• p1030528.jpg
    p1030528.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 56
  • p1030529.jpg
    p1030529.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 49
  • p1030536.jpg
    p1030536.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 58
  • p1030542.jpg
    p1030542.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 50
  • p1030539.jpg
    p1030539.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 50
  • p1030538.jpg
    p1030538.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 53
superdiver wrote:I'm a big picture kinda guy, not a detail kinda guy... at least thats how I see myself...
* * * * You'll live longer that way, SD.

Too true. How're you getting on with that boat disposal thing, Walt?

I guess a lot of us share interests in rail transportation. I grew up outside Chicago, and the old steam locos on the C&NW and Milwaukee Road ran thru the neighborhood and we never gave it a second thought. Dabbled in N-scale modeling for a while too.

One of my memories of the early 90's was taking my boys down to the end of our subdivision outside Richmond VA to watch the final run of N&W 1218.. a real monster. We stood as close as we dared when she came by.. just like in this Youtube video:

Sorry to be turning this into a railfan site!

Peter B wrote:
Too true. How're you getting on with that boat disposal thing, Walt?
****** I wrote in the "I'm losing my desire for boating" thread that I have identified & contacted the recipient of my choice & that a final decision as to whether I keep it, sell it or donate it will be made in the spring. (Probably April as my grandson is coming for a visit later this month and he wants to go fishing.) In the meantime the boat sits in her slip and is being varnished, compounded and waxed. Since the recipient last saw her, I have put .6 hours on the engine. All in the slip, in gear.

markpierce wrote:

Seems to be a lot of "common bondage" between many boaters and model railroaders. Wonder what's the bond/common denominator?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody else into ship modeling? Here's acouple of my "plank on frame" efforts from a few years ago. Kits, but stick-built. Very relaxing detail work when you can't work on the real thing.:

Attachments

• boat12.jpg
    boat12.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 61
  • dscf0043.jpg
    dscf0043.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 70
ARoss wrote:
markpierce wrote:

Seems to be a lot of "common bondage" between many boaters and model railroaders. Wonder what's the bond/common denominator?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody else into ship modeling? Here's acouple of my "plank on frame" efforts from a few years ago. Kits, but stick-built. Very relaxing detail work when you can't work on the real thing.:
*Nice models. Which kit company?

I was into building ship models many years ago. Unfortunately, they have all succumbed to time, kids, pets, moves and ex. Now that I am retired, its a hobby I have been thinking about getting back into. But, boy, the price of kits is way up there now.

Here's a link to some modelers supreme:

The Internet Craftmanship Museum

Back
Top Bottom