Snow Removal Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IRENE

Guru
Vessel Name
Irene
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 40II
Good Day,

I never thought I would need to shovel IRENE. The marina parking lot and docks were a mess this morning!

Hope your day is filled with sunshine and water NOT in a solid state.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Message_1549814503109.jpg
    Message_1549814503109.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Message_1549818869955.jpg
    Message_1549818869955.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 150
Bit of a shocker for you southerners, I bet!

Up here, you get worried when the boot stripe is under water (7’ of snow in two days) :eek:

Last edited:
I'd like to tell you I miss shoveling that stuff, but I really don't.

Ted

This is hilarious, where I live we'd barely notice this light layer of snow.

I just barely miss looking at it.
The pictures are good enough for me.

Good Day,

I never thought I would need to shovel IRENE. The marina parking lot and docks were a mess this morning!

You weather is very nice vs north baltic sea:)

my boat is in winer storgae, i see maybe two moonth:eek:

NBs

Good Day,

Back breaking shoveling job UGG>

If you have hydronic heating, you can install a couple fittings on deck and leave a hose setup, empty, snaked around where you need it. When you need to clear the deck you open a valve and the hose and melted water does the hard work. Later drain the hose for next time.

Please don't talk about snow removal anymore, I spent more than 2h today shoveling 40cm of snow we got, plus the mountain the snowplow left in front of my driveway, plus the snow over my shelter that wind accumulated.
Aahhhhh winter sport, that's really something!

L

Had to dig out for about an hour and a half. Got all the way to the road and got good and stuck. Some guys (4) came buy and pushed numerous times and finally we made it to the road.

Took the other picture as we came home .. near home.
Fog was closing in.

Attachments

• 35E3BDFD-3658-4AA2-A40C-52A9981302B9.jpg
    35E3BDFD-3658-4AA2-A40C-52A9981302B9.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 7ABCEEE3-67BD-4C5A-99D2-049926A59A8B.jpg
    7ABCEEE3-67BD-4C5A-99D2-049926A59A8B.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 119
We were able to get out of the drive and down to the boat storage barn. With 4WD we made it through the yard to the barn in order to sand on our teak decks for a couple of hours until my back and knees gave out. Gotta love the winter.

Last Sunday a.m. we were in the Phoenix area enjoying mid 60's temps. We (stupidly) got on an plane and are now in WA. Shoveling the 16" of snow out of the driveway.

Next year I won't be so quick to listen to my wife when she says she misses the grand kids and thinks WE should go home.

The objects in the photo out our livingroom window are;
1) car
2) 7' high hedge
3) carport
4) house

Attachments

• Quail Street record snow.jpg
    Quail Street record snow.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 120
Here's what Badger looked like after the road was finally opened:

Attachments

• Badger record snowfall.jpg
    Badger record snowfall.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 149
That is some serious snow, Murray! We are accustomed to 140 inches/year - and all that comes with it - from our prior location.

Fortunately, IRENE was 99% thawed out when I visited today. Turns out, that snow we had was dirty...so I hosed her off. :)

One of the thirteen boats which didn't make it through that weekend...

Attachments

• Sunken Boat, MK Bay record snow.jpg
    Sunken Boat, MK Bay record snow.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 170
That is some serious snow, Murray!...

Kitimat, or more accuratly, Kitamaat, means "People of the Snow" in the local First Nations Haisla language, so you know it can snow a bunch when it wants to!!

Okay...last one...there's a one story bungalow under there:

Attachments

• Bungalow, record snow.jpg
    Bungalow, record snow.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 101
Our driveway drifted over with hip-deep snow...we look right into the teeth of the frigid gale coming down the Fraser valley. Two hours shoveling, then out to the boat for another 45 minutes of miserable work.

I was at work today commiserating with a colleague who also owns a wooden boat about what a PITA it is to keep clearing the snow off the boat. Another coworker with a boat mentioned that he uses a leaf blower and it only takes him a few minutes.

My buddy and I looked at each other like we had just learned about the invention of the wheel. :facepalm:

Is that just the weight of the snow that sinks a boat? Must be really heavy!

Re post #13 ..
She’s a Willard methinks.

Yes it is the cumulative weight of all of the snow.

Snow is water. How much water depends on the type of snow. (yeah there are different types, ask a snow skier) Wet snow has a much higher water content. And water weighs about 8 pounds a gallon. Since snow can be stacked or piled high, in a situation that snow is piled high especially snow with a higher water content, damage can occur.

In Northern climes people will use a snow rake to remove snow from the roof of a structure to reduce the loading on the roof. And to prevent roof collapse.

Many times they come with very long handles

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 73
Yes it is the cumulative weight of all of the snow.

Snow is water. How much water depends on the type of snow. (yeah there are different types, ask a snow skier) Wet snow has a much higher water content. And water weighs about 8 pounds a gallon. Since snow can be stacked or piled high, in a situation that snow is piled high especially snow with a higher water content, damage can occur.

In Northern climes people will use a snow rake to remove snow from the roof of a structure to reduce the loading on the roof. And to prevent roof collapse.

...and the power was out for three days with no access due to the road being closed by fallen trees and power lines. The only other boat ramp was on private land and being used as a storage area. I think the boats that went down needed their bilge pumps to stay afloat.

We were lucky that the wind drifted snow onto the bow, and even then it was enough weight to put the boot stripe underwater along Badger's entire length. If it had been on the aft deck with its larger surface area...

Like all disasters, there must have been two or three contributing factors going wrong simultaneously for the boats to sink.

Last edited:
... Like all disasters, there must have been two or three contributing factors going wrong simultaneously for the boats to sink.

Very true. The weak are the first to be taken down. Care and maintenance of your vessel gives it a better chance to survive.

And my snow experience comes from Michigan.
And this topic is a reason I am FROM Michigan.

You can't choose where you were born. You can choose where to sail.

You can't choose where you were born. You can choose where to sail.

I choose not to sail in AZ but rather the North Pacific Coast. Diesel heat and a good BC boat watcher - while looking out our AZ windows is an adequate winter weather scenario for us.

This was Willy a few years ago in Thorne Bay Ak.

Attachments

• 396529_368961073120463_346772712_n.jpg
    396529_368961073120463_346772712_n.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 75
This was Willy a few years ago in Thorne Bay Ak.

Doesn't look like the light & fluffy stuff there, Eric :D

These are two full sized Post Office delivery vans:

Attachments

• Postie vans, record snow.jpg
    Postie vans, record snow.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 75
Back
Top Bottom