MS 34T/HT Stern Thruster Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
Another MS owner asked about stern thruster install.
Here's a pic of the installation on a late model 34T/HT
No issue w/ high(er) speed operation as it is completely above the boat bottom and out of the way of the prop wash. Of center is no issue as the thrust is in the same direction as it would be centered.
Installation is relatively straight forward compared to a bow thruster that requires fiberglass work for the tunnel.

Hope it helps

Attachments

• Stern Thruster.jpg
    Stern Thruster.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 105
A stern thruster will certainly enhance low speed handling but if I only could have one, it would be a bow thruster, albeit more expensive.

You have some control of the stern of a boat with short blasts of prop wash over the rudder or even more with a stern thruster. But without a bow thruster, you have no control of the bow, it only goes where the stern points it. A bow thruster will move the bow independently of the stern.

David

David
As usual agree.
The OP over on MS Yahoo as already has a bow thruster and inquiring about adding one at stern.
Having both is a real pleasure but I do practice w/o using them.
So far I have never lost one but that's the other reason I like having both... redundancy just in case.

Don,

Totally agree. My set up is identical to yours. Also, use when needed, but not when you can do without. However, I will run mine occasionally once or twice on every trip.

Also, agreed, that the bow thruster is a better option than the stern thruster and the bow is easier to push.

Hope that the Mainship group guys get to see yours. That Dock Star one sounded interesting, but having the batteries installed in the shaft doesn't make sense unless they are super duper batteries.

Larry
I posted a couple links over there... will see if he comments.
At least you can post links there otherwise it would be even more user unfriendly!!
That's the biggest reason I started my Bacchus website. To be able to post and link. That was before I found TF and have sort of ignored the MS site other than occasional look & post.

Another MS owner asked about stern thruster install.
Here's a pic of the installation on a late model 34T/HT
No issue w/ high(er) speed operation as it is completely above the boat bottom and out of the way of the prop wash. Of center is no issue as the thrust is in the same direction as it would be centered.
Installation is relatively straight forward compared to a bow thruster that requires fiberglass work for the tunnel.

Hope it helps
Bacchus:
I am considering installing thrusters on my trawler and have the following questions:
1. What brand/model is the stern thruster?
2. 12 V or 24 V?
3. Is the thruster an ON/OFF type?
4. Did you install a dedicated battery?
Thanks

Thruster is the same as bow Sidepower SP95
They are on/off but SP now has a variable model and conversion kits for my older on/off. I've heard good things about the conversion but haven't gone that route (yet)?
They are 12V but again you can get 24V type if desired
MS installed an 8D batty dedicated to thrusters in addition to 2- 8Ds for house /start and a gp 24 or 27 gen batty.
I've never had an issue w the set up but I tend to use the thrusters in pulses and min use. I just added the wireless remote control as we are planning a 2019 cruise w 100+ locks and the admiral (and I) arent getting younger.
I was unhappy w the scheme MS used for distributing alt charge as well as shore power charger. A complete write up w schematics & pics can be found on the Bacchus website linked in my signature... look in projevts section for alt & shore power charging mods project.
my opinion... others may differ... is that bow & stern thrusters act very similarly in that the bow doesnt just move the bow it pivots the boat about a point closer to mid ship than at the stern. The stern does the same pivots the boat vs just moving the stern.
having both makes close quarter maneuvering a piece of cake and enjoyable. Many turn their noses at thrusters... cheaters, etc but have nothing ill to say about twin screws. I find a single w thrusters more economical to buy and maintain vs twins and I can do as much or more and now I can do much of it wirelessly while at hte bow, stern sidedeck or even on the dock.

If you do go for a bow thruster do some researching - I have read some lately that they (Sidepower I think) recommends a more rounded transition from the tube to hull than previously. Apparently it reduces noise and improves the thrust.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom