New Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapeBob

Veteran Member
We finally settled on a name for my Prairie 36...I think. After working on the boat for coming up on two years, I wanted to name it Lingchi. Lingchi is Chinese for slow slicing or death by a thousand cuts. It seem as if I couldn't go anywhere in the boat that needed attention without requiring an adhesive bandage. It didn't take me long to learn that I should clear out any booby traps before I started working in an area. It helped, but there were still a lot of cuts, scrapes, and bruises.

My lady friend (Mary) and I decided that the name "Lingchi" would be a little too negative and that we should come up something with a happier tone. After months of picking and discarding names, I remembered a Bertram 28 that I saw at a local marina twenty years ago. It was called "Time Finder". I loved the name then and I love it now so we decided to name it that. I know that it is totally ripped off, but I hope the owner of that Bertram won't mind.

So with this post I'm unveiling the new name and a new avatar. The oil painting was a Christmas present from Mary painted by her good friend Joan. The pilings are straight on the original painting.

You have to be happy with the boat name! Congrats.

Great name and don't forget the renaming ceremony if she was named before or you will be cursed forever by Neptune and the gods of the deep :D

LaBomba, I certainly will have a glorious renaming ceremony. I have learned never to snub Neptune. :thumb:

Because our last names start with G, we're going to call our next boat "G's Spot". :D

Greetings,
Mr. CB. GREAT name. I guess now that makes you...

giphy.webp

Much better name as it's one that anyone can recognize and know how to pronounce and spell.

I look for one thing in boat names, simplicity when communicating.

Because our last names start with G, we're going to call our next boat "G's Spot". :D
What`s the phonetic alphabet word for apostrophe?

Time Finder, I like it, Good choice Capt Bob.

And since we are neighbors maybe we will see her out on the water sometime.

It took awhile, but we had the renaming ceremony the same year that we decided on the new name. We had the ceremony on December 31st with some of our closest friends and afterwards we went on a New Year's Eve cruise. No thanks to the ceremony, we picked up an adrift crab pot with the starboard prop on the way home. Fortunately, no damage was done and I was able to free the prop the next day.

Is it better late than never?

I changed my boat name when I bought it eight years ago. I did not do a renaming ceremony then, should I do one now?

I like the idea

pete

Hi Pete, I was warned by members of this forum and others that Neptune would take vengeance on the boat and it's owner if a proper renaming ceremony wasn't preformed. We had the ceremony and other than the crab pot we picked up nothing bad has happened. :D

Yes, renaming a boat requires a good bit of hoodoo, chicken blood, and tequila!
In Hawaii, no new boat or changed/renamed vessel goes anywhere without Ti leaves tied on and stuck into every available spot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom