Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #27
lavida
Veteran Member

City: Madiera Park, BC
Vessel Name: LaVida
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks MY 48.5'
Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
You bring up an interesting question of “no liveaboards”. We have found that to be more a discriminator of who they accept at a marina than any flat rule.

First, if your boat is presentable you have gone a long way towards acceptability. There also seems to be a symantic difference between liveaboard and crew. Lastly, extended stays seem accepatble as a transient implying as a livaboard you will never move your boat or ever leave.

My wife and I (crew) have stayed at a number of “no liveaboard” marinas for up to four months at a time all with invitations to stay longer.

Bottom line is don’t assume “no liveaboards” mean “no liveaboards”. Discuss your plans with the marina as a crew wanting an extended transient berth. You might be surprised that the “no liveaboard’ moniker does not now include you.
Some seasonally busy marinas further north are delighted to have semi-permanent moorage customers. Their summer transient business is vital for revenue but empty berths in winter are offered at discounts. Just need to ask.
lavida is offline   Reply With Quote