Flags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin wrote:
Look it up.
*OK.* So that's "Bastille Day."

My July*calendar only shows* "Canada Day" on July 1 and "Independence Day -- U.S.A." on July 4.** Hmmmm ..... 1 and 4 total 14.

Your calendar has a very narrow view of the world :) What is Bastille Day? If you can find that out, the reason we fly the French flag on that day becomes obvious.

Marin wrote:KJ wrote:
Inquiry* --* what flags (burgees, pennants, thongs,*etc.) do you fly when you are out and about on your boat?
*We fly the US flag from the peak of the gaff (boom), our club burgee from the jackstaff on the bow, and courtesy flags from the starboard spreader.* The attached spreader photo was taken when were took friends from France on a cruise through the Gulf Islands a few years ago.* We were in Canada, the wife is French, and the husband is Scottish.

When we are in Canada without international guests on board we fly the Canadian Maple Leaf on top and the "proper" Canadian flag, the Red Ensign, below that.

If we happen to be on the boat, in port or cruising, on July 14 we fly a full-size French flag from the peak of the gaff and a US courtesy flag from the starboard spreader.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 01:20:27 PM

*Kinda disrespectful to both nations if you are a US flagged vessel....

Here's a very special flag I only fly on certain holidays. Since my dad was a veteran, the government sent this one to drape his coffin when he passed away.

Attachments

• p1030001.jpg
    p1030001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 65
psneeld wrote:
*Kinda disrespectful to both nations if you are a US flagged vessel....
I would think the French would be happy to see someone honor their independence day, particularly someone of French ancestry with a boat named after a French hero.

The US gets my tax money.* That's far more important to the country*than whatever flag I*happen to*fly from my civilian*toy boat.

Besides, it's just a flag.* In the overall scheme of things it's pretty close to the bottom of my list of* Things That Matter.

As the US Customs guy said to me once during a border crossing when I asked him what the strange artsy"thing" is on the grounds of the Blaine border crossing he said in a voice dripping with sarcasm, "It's decor."

I fly a US ensign from the stern staff, an AGLCA burgee on the bow staff, a Power Squadron ensign from the starboard flybridge mast hoist and on the port flybridge mast hoist I fly a Power Squadron burgee from my local squadron (Fox Valley - District 20) and my Power Squadron Past Commander's burgee.

If the post office would deliver my mail to me while I'm underway, I'd consider flying a USPS flag. ;-)

Jeff Wolf
Vagabond
Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Hull #40
At Trawler Fest in Ft. Lauderdale

FlyWright wrote:
Well, you learn something every day!* * I would have thought that the flag for La Fête Nationale would be the white surrender flag.

And the total of ignorant Americans just went up by one.

Marin wrote:And the total of ignorant Americans just went up by one.
* * * ** Come on, Marin! Flyright was just pulling your chain!

It's no different than someone posting that old ad in the New York Times Classifieds that read:

French army rifles,

never fired,

dropped once.*

********************************************* (Just kidding!
biggrin.gif
)

Vive les grenouilles!

SeaHorse II wrote:Marin wrote:And the total of ignorant Americans just went up by one.

Maybe, but the the spread of ignorance is the spread of ignorance, no matter how much in jest it might be.* It's why most Americans believe the British drink warm beer.* Wrong is wrong no matter how it's phrased.

Marin wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Marin wrote:And the total of ignorant Americans just went up by one.

Maybe, but the the spread of ignorance is the spread of ignorance, no matter how much in jest it might be.* It's why most Americans believe the British drink warm beer.* Wrong is wrong no matter how it's phrased.

*So Marin, I'm of English decent.* Is it wrong for me to drink warm beer?

By wrong I meant the notion that the British drink warm beer is wrong.

I've been working and vacationing in Great Britain since 1990. I have had beer in countless pubs from Cornwall to northern Scotland. And I have never had a "warm" beer. Ever. There is no such thing in the UK. Beer in the UK is supposed to be (and is) served a "cellar temperature" which is anything but warm. The term is taken from the fact that beer kegs were traditionally kept in the cellar of a pub (from teh days long before refrigeration) so as to keep the beer as cold as possible. I've never taken the temperature of a beer I've been served over there but I would guess that it's in the high 30s to mid 40s (fahrenheit) in temperature when taken from the tap depending on the time of year and the way the pub is run.

You are certainly free to heat up your beer if you like it that way. You can bring it to a boil if you want to. But you won't be drinking it the way the British do.

Marin wrote:
You are certainly free to heat up your beer if you like it that way. You can bring it to a boil if you want to.
I tried bringing it to a boil but the durn can exploded.* Marin, I don't think that's very good advice to bring it to a*boil.* The admiral is kind of upset about the mess in the galley.

Budds Outlet wrote:
I tried bringing it to a boil but the durn can exploded.* Marin, I don't think that's very good advice to bring it to a*boil.
That's probably because you were using typical American beer aka cow piss.* If you really want to get your beer nice and hot you need to talk to the Japanese.* They know how to get wine scalding hot so it stands to reason they would have some good advice for you regarding which type of beer is best to use and how to get it really hot without exploding your kitchen.

I've never had a scalding hot*beer in Japan, although their vending machines often have scalding hot tea (in cans) in them.* Really took us by surprise the first time.**But if anyone knows about heating beer up it's them.* Give*'em a call.

Marin wrote:
That's probably because you were using typical American beer aka cow piss.*
*Yeah, and that's another thing, how do they get the cows to piss in those cans.* Jeez,*I wouldn' want the job of holding the cans.

Budds Outlet wrote:Marin wrote:
That's probably because you were using typical American beer aka cow piss.*
*Yeah, and that's another thing, how do they get the cows to piss in those cans.* Jeez,*I wouldn' want the job of holding the cans.

You are familiar with milking machines, yes?* Well the same technology was adapted long ago by the American brewing industry.* The only real difference is where the receivers attach to the animal*and the elimination of the need for suction to extract the product since the product is expelled into the processing equipment under pressure.

Marin wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:Marin wrote:And the total of ignorant Americans just went up by one.

*Wrong is wrong even if the French are honored by how you improperly fly the flags. :)

As a US veteran I'm personally offended when people improperly fly our flag.

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 06:50:41 AM

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 06:53:09 AM

NC State flag fwd, YC burgee and former commodore pennant (First Mate's, not mine!) /download.spark?ID=1074042&aBID=115492on the spreader (also an MTOA burgee not visible in this pic) and Ensign on the stern

We keep it simple.... Canadian flag off our stern as we are a Canadian registered vessel and a U.S. flag off our bow because we are cruising in the U.S.A. *We are delinquent though in remembering to take down the flags when we are not on board.... so our flags are flying pretty much all the time!

Marin wrote:*
The US gets my tax money.* That's far more important to the country*than whatever flag I*happen to*fly from my civilian*toy boat.

Besides, it's just a flag.* In the overall scheme of things it's pretty close to the bottom of my list of* Things That Matter.

*I just can't recall anyone fighting for the right to pay taxes.* I must have missed something.

The US Flag is a symbol of our nation.* It saddens me that you feel that way.

My mother's family was from French ancesters.* I think one of the things we forget is the help we got from France during the Revolutionary War.* All be it the French would do anything to weaken their arch enemy, the British.

I think you are giving short credit to the US in both world wars.* Check out the 30th Infantry Division.* We are mighty proud of our boys.* The French were too.* That Division was highly decorated by them for both wars.

Here is another symbol.

psneeld wrote:
*Wrong is wrong even if the French are honored by how you improperly fly the flags. :)

That's fine and I respect your opinion but in this case I don't actually care what your opinon is. It's just a flag, for God's sake.* Piece of cloth with a design on it.* It a trademark for our country and it's something to salute if you feel like doing that but it isn't the country itself.

And I'm not flying the flag improperly, I just don't fly it on July 14.* I choose to fly a different country's flag--- properly, acccording to the great god Chapman--- on that day.* Its not like I'm flying it upside down or vertically or setting fire to it, although I don't get all wrapped around the axle if someone does set fire to it.* It's easy enough to buy another one (most of which are made in China, by the way, so how representative is that?)

It's just a flag.* I would think that people would have far more important things on their minds than what flag a person chooses to fly on their boat.

Moonstruck wrote:

1. The US Flag is a symbol of our nation.* It saddens me that you feel that way.

2. I think you are giving short credit to the US in both world wars.
*1.* Tough.* I suspect you can learn to live with it.

2.* You people need to stop with the knee-jerk reactions based on your inabilities to interpret what you read.* I don't recall saying that the US contribution was not needed or unnecessary or was less than what it was.* I have said in other posts that people shouldn't discredit or promote incorrect assumptions about the contributions of the other countries that fought with us.

I have probably done more research, writing, and video production work about WWII and met and talked to more combat veterans and weapons designers and manufacturers in the course of my job and my own projects than most of the people on this forum combined. I am well aware of the contributions and achievements of all of our military branches during that war, particularly the Air Corps and the Navy. After meeting the people I have met I would be a fool-- let alone dead wrong--- to say or even imply that their contributions and achievements were anything less than what they were.

But as a result of that research and the people I have met, I am also well aware of the contributions of the soldiers, sailors, and airmen from other countries who fought with us.* And when you learn what they did, you see that their contributions to the overal effort were no less great than ours.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 12:13:10 PM

Marin wrote:Moonstruck wrote:

1. The US Flag is a symbol of our nation.* It saddens me that you feel that way.

2. I think you are giving short credit to the US in both world wars.
*1.* Tough.* I suspect you can learn to live with it.

2.* You people need to stop with the knee-jerk reactions based on your inabilities to interpret what you read.* I don't recall saying that the US contribution was not needed or unnecessary or was less than what it was.* I have said in other posts that people shouldn't discredit or promote incorrect assumptions about the contributions of the other countries that fought with us.

Funny, but I don't recall saying that either.

I have probably done more research, writing, and video production work about WWII and met and talked to more combat veterans and weapons designers and manufacturers in the course of my job and my own projects than most of the people on this forum combined.

Maybe

Moonstruck wrote:Marin wrote:I have said in other posts that people shouldn't discredit or promote incorrect assumptions about the contributions of the other countries that fought with us.
Funny, but I don't recall saying that either.

Not in so many words perhaps but "I think you are giving short credit to the US in both world wars." implies that in this context.* Or maybe not.

But history's history--- one can view it however they want.* It's not like anyone's views are going to change the reality of what happened.

Marin wrote:
I have probably done more research, writing, and video production work about WWII and met and talked to more combat veterans and weapons designers and manufacturers in the course of my job and my own projects than most of the people on this forum combined.<br style="color:#ff0000;" />*
******* How strange it is,

******* How strange what is?

******* That it should be so clear to all but he,

******* That what should be so clear?

******* Deaf ears!

******* Deaf ears?* How so?

******* Strange, strange indeed.

SeaHorse II wrote:
******* How strange it is, etc

*Hey, it's part of what I've been doing for a living at Boeing for the past umpteen years.* You learn what you learn.* You can't change that until you get dementia and then you forget it all. Or at least can't retrieve it.

Don't ask me about accounting or how to make steel, though.* I don't know enough about those things combined to cover the head of a pin.

Marin wrote:psneeld wrote:

That's fine and I respect your opinion but in this case I don't actually care what your opinon is. It's just a flag, for God's sake.* Piece of cloth with a design on it.* It a trademark for our country and it's something to salute if you feel like doing that but it isn't the country itself.

And I'm not flying the flag improperly, I just don't fly it on July 14.* I choose to fly a different country's flag--- properly, acccording to the great god Chapman--- on that day.* Its not like I'm flying it upside down or vertically or setting fire to it, although I don't get all wrapped around the axle if someone does set fire to it.* It's easy enough to buy another one (most of which are made in China, by the way, so how representative is that?)

It's just a flag.* I would think that people would have far more important things on their minds than what flag a person chooses to fly on their boat.

*I knew you would care before I wrote it.* You are an open book.* How sad.

And I still believe you are mistaken about flying a French flag fron the stern staff of a US flagged vessel.

psneeld wrote:

And I still believe you are mistaken about flying a French flag fron the stern staff of a US flagged vessel.
*If it's not flying a US flag, it's not a US flagged vessel, now, is it :)

PS--- At the time we first thought about doing this way back in 1999 or thereabouts I happened to be introduced to a friend of a friend who was one of the officers at the Seattle USCG base.* I asked him about our notion of flying the French flag from our boat on July 14 and if it was legal to do so or not.*

His reply was that the Coast Guard couldn't care less what flag a person chooses to fly from a recreational boat.* Being a documented vessel gives us the right to fly the US flag, it does not say we have to nor does it say we can't fly anything else.* He said that as long as our documentation is current and we have it on board and that we meet all the USCG safety and name and home port lettering requirements we can fly any flag we choose, or fly no flag at all, it makes no difference to them.

PS--- Just came across this picture.* It's very old--- probably about 1999, so a number of exterior*details have changed since then-- but it shows*our flag setup*every July 14 if we're on the boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 06:18:31 PM

Attachments

• perouse 1a.jpg
    perouse 1a.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 63
In Canada on Canada Day, we fly a full sized Canadian flag where the smaller courtesy flag normally goes on other days. We home port in Ballard (Seattle) so naturally we fly a Swedish courtesy flag when ever the mood strikes us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom