Covered Slips 365 Days a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my area;
Wax lasts much longer
Hull growth much slower
Seems to be less window condensation
Eising glass takes less of a beating
Canvas ought to last a lot longer
A/C runs less
And the obvious one on the Texas Gulf Coast, Way cooler in the hottest part of the summer.

Remember that your satellite TV will not work under a roof where it cannot see the satellite. Also, when buying a boat kept under a roof, be aware that you won’t find the leaks until you get out from under and let the rain come down onto the boat. Usually after the sale is long completed.......

It was not until we left the covered slip that we discovered several leaks: one through the hinge screws on the hatch from poop deck to boat deck and another at a galley window. They were not hard to fix, but being under a roof meant there was no visible water mark or damage to indicate they were there during the survey. It was also a royal PITA to get the KVH dish upgraded and to get the Dish Network up and running. This involved relocating to a transient slip for multiple days several different times over several weeks to get it all sorted.

None of this is a big deal, but it is something to keep in mind if shopping a boat that lives under a roof.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the input. I am dead set on a covered slip now.

That reminds me, there have been a few shed collapses around here from snow loads. Not immediately recently; maybe within the last 5-10 years, though. Seems to me most were upper Chesapeake, eastern side. Georgetown? Or somewhere else on the Sassafras River? Tolchester?

Can't remember, but the topic would probably submit to Mr. Google.

-Chris

Chris, the roof of one of the sheds at Bohemia Bay (extreme upper Eastern Shore) collapsed in 2010. We were there in 2014 and the job they did rebuilding it was impressive.

https://www.cecildaily.com/news/loc...cle_22ed63d2-4c3c-11df-bc30-001cc4c03286.html

Yep, that sounds familiar, was probably one of the events I was half-remembering...

-Chris

kvh.jpg

kvh2.jpg

kvh3.jpg

Satellite TV works great in a covered slip if you move the antenna dome from the radar arch to the front of the boat. Sissie points south while in her slip. I probably will get lots of looks and comments but that is OK with me.
Mel

Back
Top Bottom