Unlimited data for your boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's an old offer, no longer valid. I luckily got in on the tale end of it. My contract runs out in July so I hope I can renew it with the same terms.

Oh, you say it's back. Wasn't there last week when I checked. Gotta go look it up now.

If it's back, it's a great deal!

Last edited:
That's an old offer, no longer valid. I luckily got in on the tale end of it. My contract runs out in July so I hope I can renew it with the same terms.

Um did you read what I posted? The offer is back. I just got another line. Took 5 minutes on the phone.

Is the deal for an add on line? How does the plan handle tethering? We have ATT but are looking at Verizon for the better coverage. Always interesting what the providers through out there.

I already have four lines on AT&T with unlimited data. Just so I am not missing anything, is there any benefit in this to me?

Well I don't know if it's added benefit to you but I use the Mobley device on the boat for internet access when I'm away from the dock. I also stream my DirectvNow through it as ATT doesn't charge your data for it if you stream through their devices.

At this time google has a very attractive plan for data, that works wherever you are, either us or canada no change. Unfortunately for us it is only available for those who have a US address...

L

The person I talked to on the phone at AT&T said it is $20 a month for non-ATT customers with a two year contract. $10 for me since we are already on AT&T unlimited.
Talking to other guys in the biz, using it outside of a car with an external power supply is sketchy, so you pays your money and takes your chances. Plus range of wifi is not so good. The carriers are much faster to bring the hammer down on illicit use than back in the day.

BTW, there is very little difference these days twixt Verizon and AT&T on coverage. Check the maps at a granular level are very accurate these days (zoom in) to see the differences for your prospective cruising grounds.

Is the deal for an add on line? How does the plan handle tethering? We have ATT but are looking at Verizon for the better coverage. Always interesting what the providers through out there.

It can be add-on or standalone. I have no phones with AT&T just these unlimited lines. I tethered from the Mobley to a router for two years with zero issues. Used hundreds of GB per month.

At this time google has a very attractive plan for data, that works wherever you are, either us or canada no change. Unfortunately for us it is only available for those who have a US address...

L

What plan does google have that is unlimited for ~$20/month? Thanks!

The person I talked to on the phone at AT&T said it is $20 a month for non-ATT customers with a two year contract. $10 for me since we are already on AT&T unlimited.
Talking to other guys in the biz, using it outside of a car with an external power supply is sketchy, so you pays your money and takes your chances. Plus range of wifi is not so good. The carriers are much faster to bring the hammer down on illicit use than back in the day.

BTW, there is very little difference these days twixt Verizon and AT&T on coverage. Check the maps at a granular level are very accurate these days (zoom in) to see the differences for your prospective cruising grounds.

Nice, didnt know it was available for $10/month! I wonder if I could get that pricing and add it to my existing Mobley line. hmmm

As for sketchy, call it what you want, people have been using it for years without issues. I personally burn through a few hundred GB per month when we are cruising on the boat. I connected it to a good router and I get WiFi all over the boat and even a couple hundred feet from the boat.

Is giving your SS# really required? Just feel uneasy giving out this information with all the breaches taking place.

Is giving your SS# really required? Just feel uneasy giving out this information with all the breaches taking place.

For a new customer, yes, you have to.

Just re-lock your credit after. I dont even think its a hard pull.

That is $10/GB. I used 300GB on average for $20 month. On Fi it would be $3,000 per month.
10$/g up to 6 g and free beyond.

I doubt you can use 300g per month up here in canada :)

L

10$/g up to 6 g and free beyond.

I doubt you can use 300g per month up here in canada :)

L

Not that simple. $80/month for 6gb and it will be throttled to 256kbps which is basically dial-up speed unless you want to pay $10/gb for overage.

So AT&T Mobley Unlimited plan $20/month for unlimited data versus Google Fi $80/month for 6GB of data.

Technically AT&T can deprioritize over 22gb (not throttle) but as a regular user of hundreds of GB of data per month, its maybe happened a few times and still debatable whether it was something else (i.e. cell tower overload)

Might check into this. Wonder what the service is like down in Mexico?

Mobley unlimited plan is only USA, no roaming AFAIK
For what I see their data plan is worldwide and this is what's make it interesting for me.
Anyway not my intend to make this an anchor debate, you are happy with what you have fine with me.

L

Don't worry. It's out there already.

Don't worry. It's out there already.

Yup, pretty much everyone's SSN can be easily obtained these days by someone that wants it. Hence why its important to keep your credit profile locked at all times except for a short duration when your credit is being run.

The skinny on the $20/mo unlimited AT&T

I just spent the last several hours (on and off) looking into this. As of 5pm today, this is what I found.
1. Have to order on website only for this plan.
2. Mobley doesn't exist anymore for At&T. It is a device called Spark made by Harman.
3. There is no option for the $20/mo plan anywhere on AT&T's website to directly order. You have to choose the $30/mo plan and when you receive and activate the Spark you "must" choose the paperless and autopay options. Then the $20/mo plan will be applied.
4. This is defiantly not available at any retail store. Trust me I drove around to 2 AT&T and a Best Buy.
5. To use this on the boat, you must buy a OBD2 to plug-in power adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Adapte...m=252924247536&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I'll report back when the Spark arrives and activated.

For a new customer, yes, you have to.

Just re-lock your credit after. I dont even think its a hard pull.

Could you just order it in your business name and give them the EIN? I NEVER give out my SS number, too many idiots out there and so many low life clerks is will flow thru.

I just spent the last several hours (on and off) looking into this. As of 5pm today, this is what I found.
1. Have to order on website only for this plan.
2. Mobley doesn't exist anymore for At&T. It is a device called Spark made by Harman.
3. There is no option for the $20/mo plan anywhere on AT&T's website to directly order. You have to choose the $30/mo plan and when you receive and activate the Spark you "must" choose the paperless and autopay options. Then the $20/mo plan will be applied.
4. This is defiantly not available at any retail store. Trust me I drove around to 2 AT&T and a Best Buy.
5. To use this on the boat, you must buy a OBD2 to plug-in power adapter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Adapte...m=252924247536&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I'll report back when the Spark arrives and activated.

Unless they ran out of Mobleys today, that is incorrect. I know people that ordered their free Mobley on Friday and yesterday by calling the phone # I mentioned.

It is not possible to order the Mobley online. The Spark is very different. You do not want the Spark.

I just spent a few hours testing my new boat internet system. Mikrotik dual-band WiFi and Cradlepoint 850 LP6 going into a Peplink dual WAN router. Very excited to get the external antennas mounted on my mast in April!

Could you just order it in your business name and give them the EIN? I NEVER give out my SS number, too many idiots out there and so many low life clerks is will flow thru.

Almost everyone's SSN has been exposed or is very easy to get. I no longer worry about it. Keep your credit locked at all times unless applying for a mortgage/etc and re-lock as soon as the hit shows up. That said I do think it is or was available to business customers, didn't have to be a personal account. You'd have to add it to your existing business account though as I think it would be a PITA to create a completely separate business account just for a Mobley.

Last edited:
Unless they ran out of Mobleys today, that is incorrect. I know people that ordered their free Mobley on Friday and yesterday by calling the phone # I mentioned.

It is not possible to order the Mobley online. The Spark is very different. You do not want the Spark.
Thanks for the info. Did some Googling and see what you mean. I just canceled my AT&T order. Thanks for saving me the aggravation.

Yup, pretty much everyone's SSN can be easily obtained these days by someone that wants it. Hence why its important to keep your credit profile locked at all times except for a short duration when your credit is being run.

Ah yup, it's out there. Doctors and banks started this. Years ago my employer assigned our SS number as the account number. I pointed this out and they shrugged. Since, it has been fixed.
If their data is breeched, all we can do is pucker up and hold on tight.
"They" have little or no responsibility to keep your data safe. Good luck if you take them to court. "They" will bring a herd of lawyers.

Last edited:
Can this be used to make a mobile wi fi hot spot?

What else would I need to buy?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom