What is a good Helm Seat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoleo

Im looking for a good helm seat of the flip up style. This allows leaning on a bolster for stand upping. Im currently looking at a Springfield Twin 46 and a Springfield Royal flip-up . Looking between $300 to $550. Hardware not required as it will bolt directly to existing bench type seat. Thanks.

I got a killer deal from:
LaToya.Derrick@bbgfwo.com
(don't have a number, but will look)
The are involved in pontoon boats and had some leftovers. I got TWO seats: both recline, both high backs, with arm rests, one has a bolster and the other has a retractable foot rest.

Got the color I wanted on one, and the other I painted with Sems dye to match the boat and it's been perfect! $525 for both including shipping.

This is the new helm seat before I replaced that side seat for the other helm seat which looked almost identical. Very comfy

Attachments

• Helm Seat.jpg
    Helm Seat.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 141
To answer your question, a good helm seat is one on which you can sit 8+ hours without having your butt feel like marmelade, if you find one please let me know!

L

To answer your question, a good helm seat is one on which you can sit 8+ hours without having your butt feel like marmelade, if you find one please let me know!

L

I’ve spent long hours on some really uncomfortable helm seats, but don’t think I ever got a case of marmalade ass!
I think “monkey butt” is more descriptive of what I get, maybe you’re a foodie?

I bought a pair of the Springfield Twin 46s for my boat, had to modify them right out of the box. They have a nice bolster, but the front/back flip feature didn’t leave enough room to comfortably sit in either direction, so I moved the seat back assembly back so they’re at least roomy on the front side.
Seems that Mr Springfield either has a super skinny butt, or just doesn’t care if his seats suck or not! I shoulda sent them back...

I've a two-person-wide-bench helm seat without complaint. This permits cuddling with the first mate. Nevertheless, I enjoy walking across the pilothouse to obtain various views of what's happening.

Attachments

• looking backward.jpg
    looking backward.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 137
I've a two-person-wide-bench helm seat without complaint. This permits cuddling with the first mate. Nevertheless, I enjoy walking across the pilothouse to obtain various views of what's happening.

Agree, the bench can be very comfy. I had one on a Formula side by side, with armrests on the sides and middle and both sides with bolsters and a foot rest. Could configure it for the GF or your buddy.

Have a look around the breakers yards for camper van seats.
I got a brilliant seat for my last boat and did many 8/10 hours stints without any bother.
The current boat has a bench seat for skinnies.
My wife's delicious cooking puts me in the 'Built for comfort' bracket.

OK Thanks all-- I almost bought a Springfield Twin 46--but did not since the reverse-able feature could not be used in my configuration. So I bought a Springfield "Royal Flip-up Chair" from first Choice Marine for $534 which includes $71 shipping. Hope it works out.

Really hard to make yachty ,or use outdoors, but auto power seats from larger cars can be great for comfort.
Arm rests are needed.

A fighting chair lifting mount is very robust and can adjust for the eye height of different sized crew.

I got a killer deal from:
LaToya.Derrick@bbgfwo.com
(don't have a number, but will look)
The are involved in pontoon boats and had some leftovers. I got TWO seats: both recline, both high backs, with arm rests, one has a bolster and the other has a retractable foot rest.

Got the color I wanted on one, and the other I painted with Sems dye to match the boat and it's been perfect! $525 for both including shipping.
A "bolster"?? How can a RV seat captains chair have a bolster--are you going to drive your RV standing up??lol

I good seat is one you can't fall asleep in while your autopilot is operating. Lots of fishermen have had a seat too comfortable and recently one tug in BC.

Last edited:
If there is a bench seat that is long enough to sleep on it should be fitted with a lee cloth so the captain can be instantly available to the watch stander for some passages.

Deadman alarm

Deadman alarm
Simple and free to setup.

Here's one

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/d..._manual:plugins:safety:watchdog#deadman_alarm

Countdown timer on a phone is one I have used before when doing single/shorthanded passages.

They have deadman alarms/controls in locomotives. it used to be a pedal that the engineer had to keep depressed. Engineers sometimes used a wooden plug to hold it down to relieve the fatigued leg. Now, either a control has to be moved, horn sounded or the reset button pushed at short intervals, a minute I think, otherwise the locomotive goes to idle, the reverser to neutral and an alarm sounds.

Simi 60 had some beautiful seats in his pics. I have a Stidd on my Stamas! Most commercial guys have Stidd.

You might also want to look at the “Shockwave Marine Suspension System” for the mount!

This is what I did. Bought a brand new leather drivers seat from Ebay, it was out of a Honda Odyssey. The seller takes cars and fits them out for people w/ disabilities, then sells the seats he removes. Used the base from my old seat and had it welded to the new one. Very comfortable and looks great. Seat was $75 plus shipping plus welding.

Good, comfortable helm seats that last are usually not cheap. I ordered and installed a Todd 5 star flip up helm seat from WM for $1300.00 and it's been very comfortable. I can sit in the chair all day without undue fatigue and it's great on my old back.

We are new to this forum but when we get our 1983 monk to her home port for a major refit seating for Captain and first Mate are high on the list and I’ve always wanted to install a old Barbers Chair and swivel and all . May sound out there but I love the idea and it will fit and quite comfortable . Must be old like me and my trawler .

I have several former Infiniti sedans sitting in my friend's local "bush" junkyard with wonderful leather electric seats (and Bose stereos). I've thought of pulling one of the driver's seats out but I have no idea how to remove/install it. I guess I could dive in with a wrench and screwdriver and see what's what.

Seats

Hi All, Check out truck seats for comfort if under cover/inside Regards David

L
Vinyl gives me swamp @$$ after about an hour or two. :huh: :peace:

Gulf, Can we see a picture of your seat mounted?

Back
Top Bottom