Covered Slips 365 Days a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
Trawler Friends,

I’m trying to consider the pros and cons of putting my boat in a covered slip throughout the year.

Here’s how I see it. A covered slip to me (while a little more expensive), may prevent me from having to pull my boat out of the water for 25% of the year. I live off the Chesapeake Bay at Solomons Island. I’d save on a haul out, shrink wrapping, and if i switch from single season to something longer lasting, I wouldn’t have to pull my boat out of the water every year just to paint. With a yearly short haul to replace zincs and inspect running gear, what are your opinions? My gel coat should last longer out of the sun as well. I see many benefits.

I hear spiders can be an issue, possibly more aquatic life clogging strainers, and an obstructed view of my surroundings etc... but what else really detracts most of you from a covered slip aside from the increase in slip fee?

I’d like to know what your opinions are?

Thank you.

Alex Cadiz
Mainship 350/390
Heather Alyssa
Solomons, Md

IMG_8730.jpg

Only thing I don’t like is that the boat is rather dark.
Dosn’t cost much more.
Do it

On the Bohemia, spiders are defiantly a problem undercover. If you wash the boat once a week, it will keep them at bay. The darkness mentioned above could be a problem depending on the slip orientation. We actually get the sun rising over our bow and flooding the master with light through 2 deck hatches. The setting sun does a good job of lighting up the salon through the rear door as well as the aft deck. The pro's defiantly outweigh the con's.

My slip is covered and so is my car which I park right behind the boat. S. Louisiana sun on aluminum boat turns into an oven. Still hot underneath cover in the summer but so much better than full sunshine all day.

Given the choice, I would have a covered slip. That said, I would want to examine the slip (and building), and the neighbors. It may not be justifiable, but I fear a greater risk of fire in them. Also, I have stayed as a transient in a number of them. Some are weekend party centers. Finally, the amount of stuff that clutters the walkways can be an issue as many boat owners see the docks as covered storage. Lastly (really), check with the marina what the rules are. Barbecuing on the docks with gasoline powered boats around, makes me nervous.

Ted

I kept asking boat in a covered slip for over 20 years, all positive. No spiders, less maintance and boat was always cleaner.

Here in the PNW boats living in boat houses almost don’t age.
Boats living in covered moorage age much slower and stay cleaner
Boats living uncovered have the hardest life.

For me living on a boat in a boat house or in covered moorage makes no sense. While it might be cooler in summer, you pay it back in winter.

Again I am talking about life in the PNW.

I've bought 2 boats from owners that kept them in covered slips and they were in beautiful condition.
I like the sunshine but live up north. I would feel different further south. It is pretty cool on a rainy day... stayed at a covered slip on a summer cruise and enjoyed it.
As in boating... it's a compromise... there are + & -

Like many others I think there are more positives than negatives. The spiders and where we are, the birds can make a mess but many have hung tarps or plastic above their boats and this seems to help substantially. If you have any canvas it will definitely last a lot longer. Go for it I would say.

My boat has been in a covered slip at Calvert Marina for 4 years, and there's nothing during that time that would cause me to look for an uncovered slip. The storm surge during big onshore winds that occasionally pass by raise the boat and may cause clearance concerns, but that's just something to deal with and not a significant issue. The water in the shed tends to be calmer and more likely to ice up but that hasn't been a concern either. When I was considering the slip during the winter of '15 before I brought the boat home, there was considerable ice in the slip and around the neighboring boats, but it hasn't happened since. I leave my boat in the water during the winter and haven't needed a bubbler. Another plus is that year-round liveaboards seem to prefer the shed, so there's usually someone around to keep an eye on things. If not liveaboards, then there's the ability to place wifi cameras or other sensors to keep a remote eye on things. Yes, it's darker, but that also means it's cooler during the summer months. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. If you can, do it.

My boat has been in a covered slip at Calvert Marina for 4 years, and there's nothing during that time that would cause me to look for an uncovered slip. The storm surge during big onshore winds that occasionally pass by raise the boat and may cause clearance concerns, but that's just something to deal with and not a significant issue. The water in the shed tends to be calmer and more likely to ice up but that hasn't been a concern either. When I was considering the slip during the winter of '15 before I brought the boat home, there was considerable ice in the slip and around the neighboring boats, but it hasn't happened since. I leave my boat in the water during the winter and haven't needed a bubbler. Another plus is that year-round liveaboards seem to prefer the shed, so there's usually someone around to keep an eye on things. If not liveaboards, then there's the ability to place wifi cameras or other sensors to keep a remote eye on things. Yes, it's darker, but that also means it's cooler during the summer months. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. If you can, do it.

It just so happens that I’m looking at Calvert Marina as my choice. Thank you for that!

I'd only avoid a covered slip if we were living aboard under there for more than a couple weeks at a time.

Not that there aren't some increased risk due to roof collapses from snow or ice, or from fire.

When we bought or old Hatteras, it was kept in Calvert as well, up there on the north row next to Washburn's.

Last edited:
I'd only avoid a covered slip if we were living aboard under there for more than a couple weeks at a time.

Not that there aren't some increased risk due to roof collapses from snow or ice, or from fire.

When we bought or old Hatteras, it was kept in Calvert as well, up there on the north row next to Washburn's.

I wonder if the marina would be insured for something like that.

Just sent you an email Greg.

Covered, for sure.
My boat has been in a covered slip for the last 20 and for the first 9 of its 39 yrs. It looks more like it is 15 yrs old, but much of that may be style, as everyone knows that style is not being made any more.
Around SW BC, the saying is something like "pay for a shelter or pay for maintenance, it works out the same"
Not for living aboard though, unless you can easily slip out of your shelter when you want sunshine.

We live in the 'covered corridor' across Tennessee and northern Miss and Ala. The difference in cosmetic maintenance between covered and non-covered is substantial, as are the opportunities for dock social activity. Spiders are an issue, as are birds attracted by spiders; so we spray regularly for spiders. In my area, covered slips typically cost 150-200% of uncovered, but worth it in my view.

When they built my marina they considered the possibility of fire. In most marinas the flames run up under the roof then travel along the length of the roof and pretty soon the while damn thing is ablaze.

In my marina, if the fire runs up to the roof it can escape and isn't as likely to travel laterally and catch everyone's boat on fire. That vent line that runs along the ridge of the roof is supposed to prevent the flames from passing from one slip to the neighboring slips.

Spiders aren't a big problem, I use a spray called Home Defense from Ortho. I spray the docks, dock lines, cleats and most everything I can see and that prevents them from hanging out on my boat. They seem to like my neighbors' boats better.

P30200281.jpg

Last edited:
When they built my marina they considered the possibility of fire. In most marinas the flames run up under the roof then travel along the length of the roof and pretty soon the while damn thing is ablaze.

In my marina, if the fire runs up to the roof it can escape and isn't as likely to travel laterally and catch everyone's boat on fire. That vent line that runs along the ridge of the roof is supposed to prevent the flames from passing from one slip to the neighboring slips.

Spiders aren't a big problem, I use a spray called Home Defense from Ortho. I spray the docks, dock lines, cleats and most everything I can see and that prevents them from hanging out on my boat. They seem to like my neighbors' boats better.

P30200281.jpg

Good advise. I’ll stock up on Ortho!

Heather Alyssa, for us getting the teak out of the direct sun was the primary concern. Daytime temps on the boat in the summer are cooler as well. Our open slip at the other marina had plenty of spiders. I use the same Ortho product as GFC.

I've got a covered slip with no spiders, brackish waters and good light. My favorite time in the slip is during a good rainstorm. It's always dry and protected with water cascading just aft of the swimstep.

Gotta love a dry boat!

Attachments

• 20180310_164040.jpg
    20180310_164040.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190208_151036.jpg
    20190208_151036.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I've an open berth and have spiders, and am located just hundreds of yards from FlyWright's covered slip. :confused: The height (33 feet) of this Coot excludes the possibility of a covered berth :facepalm: ... but have greater VHF range than shorter boats like FlyWright. :D

Attachments

• leaving marina.jpg
    leaving marina.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I've an open berth and have spiders, and am located just hundreds of yards from FlyWright's covered slip. :confused: The height (33 feet) of this Coot excludes the possibility of a covered berth :facepalm: ... but have greater VHF range than shorter boats like FlyWright. :D

I can lend you my sawzall if you’d like. Then you’ll fit under the covered slip. Just kidding! That’s a beautiful boat you’ve got there! Thank you for the reply.

Here’s how I see it. A covered slip to me (while a little more expensive), may prevent me from having to pull my boat out of the water for 25% of the year. I live off the Chesapeake Bay at Solomons Island. I’d save on a haul out, shrink wrapping, and if i switch from single season to something longer lasting, I wouldn’t have to pull my boat out of the water every year just to paint. With a yearly short haul to replace zincs and inspect running gear, what are your opinions? My gel coat should last longer out of the sun as well. I see many benefits.

We had a covered slip when we were in FL, and I liked it well enough. It was usually cooler in the shade... but then the shed was also old, no shed maintenance going on, the metal roof was rusting so we had bits of that from time to time. Can't remember any particular issue with spiders.

But the real reason I'm chiming in is to mention that we just leave the boat in the water over most winters. (As do many others around here.) Short haul for inspection, hull cleaning/waxing, bottom paint when necessary, and zincs. No extra cost for either winter storage or covered slip. Doesn't seem to have hurt the boat...

-Chris

We had a covered slip when we were in FL, and I liked it well enough. It was usually cooler in the shade... but then the shed was also old, no shed maintenance going on, the metal roof was rusting so we had bits of that from time to time. Can't remember any particular issue with spiders.

But the real reason I'm chiming in is to mention that we just leave the boat in the water over most winters. (As do many others around here.) Short haul for inspection, hull cleaning/waxing, bottom paint when necessary, and zincs. No extra cost for either winter storage or covered slip. Doesn't seem to have hurt the boat...

-Chris

Exactly what I want to hear. Of course the difference here is cold weather. My engine room already has a built-in heater. Although I’ve never used it, I think I’ll check it out, and that might come in handy during future winter seasons to keep the temperature above freezing.

I've not ever used a heater. Sometimes a single incandescent light bulb on a time inside the saloon...

-Chris

We’ve got a pretty good deal on a 50ft covered slip. They’re kinda hard to get here . I can float the dinghy next to the boat,everything stays dry and we have room to grow if the opportunity ever comes up.:D

Attachments

• 1EC2D4EB-04C1-4B1B-A05C-44CFF28ACA02.jpg
    1EC2D4EB-04C1-4B1B-A05C-44CFF28ACA02.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 80
You will be the one who has to decide what is best for you. I am in a covered slip on Barkley Lake in KY and we prefer covered to open for the same reasons a previously mentioned. The orientation of my slip, the sun comes up from the starboard aft and sets over the Port bow. I don't get much direct sunlight due to the coverage. I especially like being covered during foul weather. You can enjoy your boat and move around on the docks during a rain storm. No snow load or freezing rain during winter months. We live about an hour from the boat so we are able to use the boat or just go down and check on the boat during any kind of weather. Someone mentioned that you can have some dock box storage on the walkways which is nice. Overall I choose covered. I have been on uncovered transient docks during rainstorms and you are pretty much held captive.

No snow load or freezing rain during winter months.

That reminds me, there have been a few shed collapses around here from snow loads. Not immediately recently; maybe within the last 5-10 years, though. Seems to me most were upper Chesapeake, eastern side. Georgetown? Or somewhere else on the Sassafras River? Tolchester?

Can't remember, but the topic would probably submit to Mr. Google.

-Chris

With all the talk about cored hulls, pretty much all FRP boats are cored above the waterline. Deck penetrations typically aren't given the consideration that below the waterline penetrations are. The end result is rain water rots coring above the waterline just like saltwater below. Being covered not only protects from sun damage but also from even more damaging rain.... Covered all the way especially in the PNW

Back
Top Bottom