Macgregor 26X Hardtop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even Kiehl

Vessel Name
Even Kiehl
Anyone have info, photos, advice or experience making a hardtop and enclosed sides and back, which can be canvas? Have a 1996 26X which I intend to use as a powerboat only, 35 HP Honda, storing mast sails and rig.
Thanks
Stuart

Attachments

• IMG_5477.jpg
    IMG_5477.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 84
We put a hardtop from hardtotop.com on our boat. You need a bimini frame to put it on.

Attachments

• 920D02E4-D5D7-46BF-A099-ABB3AD057472.jpg
    920D02E4-D5D7-46BF-A099-ABB3AD057472.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 129
I did the same on an earlier boat, looking for anyone who has done it on the Mac 26X
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Even Kiehl,
Had the same idea myself.
There's a little forum on FB called "Terminal Trawlers" about that. That iOS converting sailboats to cruisers or trawlers.
30hp will probably be fine until you take on water ballast.

Eric,
Thanks for the info, will look it up, saw something similar, maybe the same, a few years ago, with some very cool boats, a bunch of them doing The Great Loop, one Mac 26 guy and his wife getting ready to do second Loop.
The 'hybrid' is a real undiscovered niche, and, for me, an ideal situation without having to pay huge bucks for a Ranger or Nordic Tug types. Also gives me the flexibility of travel, and a place to stay on the road....

I love the Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust, elec start and tilt, may put that on this boat if the cruising speeds are similar to the 35 Honda, had the Yamaha 8 and 9.9 on 31' trimarans and a similar catamaran, also on two Catalina 22s. A few months away from sea trials, which I will do on a lake north of San Francisco, then the SF Bay. (BTW, the trimaran I bought in French Creek, north of Nanaimo, sailed it to SF...)

OK good,
Here’s a picture of a converted (not finished) boat. Thought it was really interesting how the guy raised his foredeck. His power is a home made saildrive.

Attachments

• 244F7DE2-A6B7-429A-9CF3-3386751F1F5A.jpeg
    244F7DE2-A6B7-429A-9CF3-3386751F1F5A.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 70
... too big a project for me, good for him, creative, economical, sweat equity, and might be probably good for the planet, guess it might be battery powered..
Just threw my hat into the Terminal Trawlers group, waiting for acceptance, weird name for what the group is...

Talk to Todd at BlueWater Yachts. They were the largest Macgregor dealer and now they are the official Factory parts supplier for Macgregor boats. They have helped more than one customer prep the 26x for looping.

Blue Water Yachts

I am NOT Looping. At this point.
But, thanks. I have been in touch with them....

... too big a project for me, good for him, creative, economical, sweat equity, and might be probably good for the planet, guess it might be battery powered..
Just threw my hat into the Terminal Trawlers group, waiting for acceptance, weird name for what the group is...

No, It’s an old two cyl Evinrude 6 to 15hp (guess). He had a vid that was good with one of his kids on-board. But an inboard two stroke engine did make a bit of smoke. But the boat worked. I think he had vibration problems as the engine was bolted directly to the hull .. w the crankshaft in OB fashion .. vertical. And he used a fixed OB lower unit below the hull.
I would mount the engine typically w a long shaft fairly deep in the water clamped to the transom. I’d use a two stroke twin w twice as many power strokes. Making the stern bigger and more power 10-15hp would make it more trawler-like.
Kiehl I really like the converted boat on the cover (or home page) of Terminal Trawlers with the guy at the helm. Very nice. Post that if you can.
Eric

If you can't post it, I can't. Accepted to the TT Forum, will post. I do not like the converted boat on the 'cover' because, for me, I need to be protected from the sun and want cabin space to tell the same stories to my friends with 360 visibility and warmth and comfort..
:) Cheers
Stuart

what kind of speed do you get with the 35 HP? Certainly an intriguing trailerable boat, especially with the modifications you have planned.

I have not had the boat in the water yet, so I do not know
My hope would be 10-12 knots wide open, no rig, but I have been told it will be hull speed, 6-7 knots.
If so, why run a 35 when I can do the same with a 9.9 Yamaha?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom