Awlwood color difference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westiculo

Vessel Name
Rose Mary
Vessel Make
42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
I have been unable to find any photos that show comparisons of the red, yellow, and clear awlwood primers.
Does anybody have experience with any of these? Any photo you have readily available with one of these primers would be super helpful to see.

I have used yellow and clear. Yellow is for teak, and gives mahogany a rich
color.

Awlgrip advises red for mahogany, but I have not tried it.

You can go through our blog, grandbankschoices, and see pictures back in the blog refit portion.

Good stuff.

Thanks! Nice pics on there.
So the steering wheel has the yellow primer on it? It looks great - redder than I would think from a yellow primer. I guess the color of the primers are fairly understated, or do they make a big difference?
The name boards are the look I'm going for - those are amazing.

The primers are more like a tint. The wheel I sprayed to get it perfect, same as sign boards. The step box is also mahogany. To reduce color mix with clear primer.

You can also tint final coats to cover discolorations.

The right side is clear primer. The left side is red primer. My neighbor used yellow primer. When you put the red or yellow primer on it really changes the color of the wood. When you add the gloss over the primer, the primer color really disappears. As you can see the clear primer comes out much more of a dark brown. I haven’t really noticed much difference between the yellow and red. You would think yellow would be lighter than red but it doesn’t appear to be.

Attachments

• 935B4E9A-EB7A-45BA-AC7A-3607CD073D0C.jpg
    935B4E9A-EB7A-45BA-AC7A-3607CD073D0C.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 85
I just went through this same exercise. No product literature from Awlwood is any help ! I am currently doing my cap rail using clear primer but it looks like the red primer picture in the previous post. My teak caps seem to have a natural red to them and I love the color I am getting using clear.
Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom