1978 Mainship 34 PROJECT BOAT. AS IS.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcranky

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978/mainship-pilot-34-3138817/

I've been looking at the pictures and I see a few problems.
Even at $18,000 I'm not sure the rotted core replacement and fiberglass work would be worth it.

waterlogged rotting decks (flybridge, and other?)
marine head gone, some type of "composting" head instead
no bow thruster
no windlass, cheap anchor
swim platform crushed in the middle (backed hard into a dock piling?)

What other problems do you old salts see?

There are no engine room pictures although the description says the engine has been rebuilt and it has a remanufactered engine on the NL generator. To bring the boat back, asssuming the mechanicals are ok, you’d have to do all the work yourself. There’s no way you could hire it out and not be broke. We did have a 1981 34’ and it was a great boat!

My neighbor bought a Mark III 34 last year for $11,000. It has had the decks recored, but poorly finished. He will have to refinish the decks. It has a bow thruster and a real marine head. Not much electronics but the boat does run great. I would want to see receipts for the engine rebuild. One persons rebuild is someone elses oil change and hoses... I would figure on recoring all the decks and flybridge. Can you do this type of work? Do you want to do this type of work? It isn’t too technical but it is real dirty grunt work. Are you good at marine electrical work because it probably needs a lot of rewiring at this age. Good luck which ever way you go.

Geez, I wish these types of projects were up here in New England. I'd be up for that. But of course I'm a sicker for a project

Never trust an old motor with a new (sloppy) paint job, especially if it says “recent rebuild”!

Heard that referred to as a "spray can overhaul". Corollary is: paint hides a multitude of sins. Have to look past the paint. True everywhere, not just engines, not just boats. For example, dye comes in spray cans too.

Note the paint on the starter, pump and alternator, overspray on motor mount, belt, harness:

00D0D_jDGqoXreoBD_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom