Anchor chain and swivel and anchor.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pull the anchor very slowly over the roller and I’ve never needed or wanted a swivel.

I don't notice any twist. It's nice to have an anchor that can lay either way.

Oddly, I started having twist problems when we switched from a Delta to a Rocna. The chain kinks and jams the windlass. Seventy feet of chain and 250' of brait. No Swivel, but I'm considering adding one.

I originally thought it might be the bow roller, since the old one, which split, had a groove and I replaced it with one that did not. So I went back to a grooved roller but it seems like the chain is still twisting.

Last week I took the anchor off the chain, dropped it down to the bottom, then carefully pulled it back in with no twists and reattached the anchor. Hopefully that will work but if it doesn't I guess I should try a swivel?

If the only change was the anchor, most likely it`s the anchor causing it. Twisted chain in the gypsy is not good. I use an old fashioned figure 8 swivel, I distrust the shiny connector type, after some threads here a while back, bought one but kept it as a paperweight.

Sure, a better anchor that has dug deeply into the bottom so that it cannot twist as the boat swings around it. That is exactly my experience

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 137
AusCan,
HaHa wasn’t far off.
All made out of mild steel I spoze.
What’s your’s weigh?
Looks a bit like my Dreadnought.

Attachments

• DSCF0732 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF0732 copy 3.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
So, good in marsh areas?

Bruce,
I haven't tried it in a marsh yet, but I doubt if it has the surface area to hold in soft gooey mud. I've yet to anchor in any type of mud. Not much around here.

I expect you'd have a Bruce anchor wouldn't you, Bruce.

Eric,
Yes, I expect it is mild steel. I bent the shank a few weeks ago went I didn't bother with a snubber line when we anchored for a lunch stop. I just wrapped the chain around the bollard on the bow.
The wind died off and the rode went slack; I didn't think much of it but we got pushed by an unusually big swell, then BANG - the rode pulled tight and bent both the 1 1/4" anchor shaft and bollard. The anchor still held tight though in sand over limestone. No damage to the foredeck luckily.

I managed to straighten the anchor by chaining it to a tree and winching it. The bollard is toast.

Live and Learn

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Bruce,
I haven't tried it in a marsh yet, but I doubt if it has the surface area to hold in soft gooey mud. I've yet to anchor in any type of mud. Not much around here.
I expect you'd have a Bruce anchor wouldn't you, Bruce.....
Live and Learn
A very reasonable expectation, but it`s a Super Sarca,I`ve not managed to bend it,so far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom