Micron rating for ordinary toilet paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My fuel polishing system has two filters: a Gulf Coast oil filter using an ordinary roll of toilet paper as the filter element and a Griffin G-500 fuel filter (the Chinese equivalent of the Racor 500).* My question: what is the micron equivalent of a roll of toilet paper.

Recently my fuel polishing pump stopped working in the fuel-polishing role.* It still worked in the fuel-priming role, so clogging in one or both of the filters was suspected.* Examined the paper roll and it looked clean but I replaced it anyway (extremely inexpensive filter).* Result: suspected clog still there.* Replaced the 10-micron*Griffin filter (which I've been told will also fit the Racor) with a new one.* Result: clog eliminated.

The 10-micron filter failed/clogged after less than 200 gallons.

Attachments

• polisher filters.jpg
    polisher filters.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 380
All I know is that Charmin is squeezably soft, but I am clueless as to its micron rating. *

It shouldn't be too surprising that a new tank like yours had crud in it. *Be interesting to see if the problem recurs, which it should not. *What it domestic fuel or left over from China?

markpierce wrote:
Examined the paper roll and it looked clean but I replaced it anyway (extremely inexpensive filter).* Result: suspected clog still there.* Replaced the 10-micron*Griffin filter (which I've been told will also fit the Racor) with a new one.* Result: clog eliminated.

The 10-micron filter failed/clogged after less than 200 gallons.
Could you tell what was plugging the 10m filter?* Maybe the toilet paper was coming apart or water was being passed*along to the 10m.* I don't know a lot about the Gulf Coast filters, but I can't imagine the toilet paper eliminating*water??

LB

The new boat came with about 50 gallons of Chinese diesel.* Perhaps a third of that was used without being polished.* Purchased 106 gallons at the Emeryville, CA marina which was polished.* Later purchased fuel from the Vallejo Marina and while polishing that fuel the clog culminated.

Edelweiss wrote:
Could you tell what was plugging the 10m filter?* Maybe the toilet paper was coming apart or water was being passed*along to the 10m.* I don't know a lot about the Gulf Coast filters, but I can't imagine the toilet paper eliminating*water??*

*There was dark gunk on the surfaces of the 10m filter: no sign of toilet paper.* The toilet paper was clean and*whole,*and is contained in a mesh "sock."* The Griffin filter separates water (note clear bowl) but haven't seen any sign of water in it or the Racor filters located between fuel tanks and engine.

Which comes first, the Griffin(Racor) or the Gulf Coast?* I don't want to start the argument again, but it seems like it should go from 10 micron down to the finer filter which I assume is the toilet paper, instead of the other way around.

I'm no expert, just wondering and trying to learn.

Woody

markpierce wrote:
Purchased 106 gallons at the Emeryville, CA marina which was polished.* Later purchased fuel from the Vallejo Marina and while polishing that fuel the clog culminated.
Is the fuel sold in the SFO bay area that bad that you have to polish it before you can use it?* I don' t know personally anyone in our area who has a polishing system on their boat (we have a crude*one of sorts but we have never used it) and I don't know anyone personally in our area who has ever had a filter clogging problem due to the fuel sold in the regional marinas.*

Our boat spent its whole life in SFO bay before we bought it in 1998 and brought it up here. The previous owner had the new tanks and fuel system installed the year before we bought the boat, and he kept it in Alameda.* The fact that he had a "sort-of" fuel polishing system installed plus your recent experience would seem to indicate that the fuel sold in the SFO bay area is not of very good quality.* Is that true?

"There was dark gunk on the surfaces of the 10m filter: no sign of toilet paper."

Dark gunk is frequently asphaltine , fuel clumping together from being old.

Semi Dissolved Toilet paper would not be seen in the second filter with out a microscope.

Even squinting 2 micron gunk is hard to see inside a filter.

I have a gulf coast TP filter coupled with a stand alone water separator for fuel polishing.

While we dont have bad fuel here in the PNW, my fuel will conceivably stay in tanks for a long period of time. I do run the polisher before beginning the season to cycle the fuel.

So far, no dirt or water has been captured by the filter or separator. Since the system is in place, it is just another of the springtime startup chores.

I replace the TP roll each spring before startup.

Concerning TP as filters, quite cheap - but do NOT use single ply which may dissolve. I use costco multi-ply which fits well and easily lasts a year or more.

Incidentally, my tanks have a lowpoint drain, from which I draw directly to the Gulf Coast TP filter, then thru a 12v Walbro before dumping back into the tank the fuel is being drawn from.

I also have the ability to swing a couple of valves if I need to prime filters or the engine.

Egregious wrote:
Which comes first, the Griffin(Racor) or the Gulf Coast?* I don't want to start the argument again, but it seems like it should go from 10 micron down to the finer filter which I assume is the toilet paper, instead of the other way around.
*Mapped out my fuel polishing system.* Fuel comes from a valve set (not pictured) from the left bottom.* The fuel line goes to the Griffin filter (top center), then to the Gulf Coast toilet-paper filter (top right), past a T and valve (the yellow line) for the vacuum meter (in the pilothouse), then to the pump (bottom left), then either up and right to the fuel return valve set or to the engine (second line from bottom left) via the Racors (one shown in top left).* So, the polishing system has the fuel first*going through the Racor-like Griffin and then to the TP Gulf Coast.

img_73638_0_7a3c82de204473218ca7d5e3fa2519e5.jpg

Picture of the used filters:

img_73638_1_79e1a7f1dde3896d2525df82d297bf9f.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 28th of January 2012 08:26:53 PM

Mark

Why use*TP as opposed to a purpose built filter? TP is designed to break down into small cellulose strands that would then get passed down stream.*The notion of TP as a filter media is nutty and counter productive. I know what the JD fuel filter section says and Charmin ain't one of the choices.

I`m with Sunchaser on this. Are you guys are using new or used TP? Should we be cleaning up in the bathroom with Racor filters? Surely this is becoming a subject for Peggy.

On a recent cruise friends ran out and asked for TP(not for filters); we offered some used only on one side, they declined. How ungrateful! We found them a new roll. BruceK

sunchaser wrote:
Mark

Why use*TP as opposed to a purpose built filter? TP is designed to break down into small cellulose strands that would then get passed down stream.*The notion of TP as a filter media is nutty and counter productive. I know what the JD fuel filter section says and Charmin ain't one of the choices.
This was the boat-builder's design.* The system includes*the Griffin*"purpose-built to copy Racor" filter*design, and the Gulf Coast filter was designed to use toilet paper.* Some higher capacity filters even use paper towel rolls (they're longer).* Hopefully, someone "out there" will explain it all*to us and "decide" whether*the Coot's polishing system "sucks" or not.

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 29th of January 2012 12:01:51 AM

BruceK wrote:
I`m with Sunchaser on this. Are you guys are using new or used TP? Should we be cleaning up in the bathroom with Racor filters? Surely this is becoming a subject for Peggy.
*Trust me.* Only "virgin" TP has been used.* Don't see any "brown" on the used TP filter, do you?

The toilet paper or paper towels are sub-micron...

I agree TP is*"submicron" when*it breaks up.

I agree TP is "submicron" when it breaks up.

Takes a while tho , when we dump the holding tank TP is always visible .

Seems to me that the micron size for TP is pretty irrelevant for most people that use it (for its intended purpose)- your experience may be different!!!
I think it is false economy to use TP or kitchen towel rolls as filters. We use the big Gulf Coast FI filters. They hardly ever need changing and are quite inexpensive overall.
Chris

Don't know about the ratings of the TP - but I would personally never ever use TP, not even knowing that others have used it for years without problems. It just seems wrong.

I generally trust and select commercial type systems. I am sure that there are some small commercial operators that uses TP - but it must be very few.

I selected the Fleetguard filters since they are availble all over the world -in any harbour with fishing boats. My filterheads are the Double-Double system from*http://sbmar.com/Products/SM-FF_KITS.php - and I use the same filter system on the generator, to keep the spare down..

I simply don't understand the obsession with filters and filtered fuel.* If you buy clean fuel and put it in a clean system and burn it there's no problem.* That rule applies for OTR trucks, farmers, the oilfield and marine use.* Trying to save a few pennies on fuel filters is silly because the cost of conventional filters is insignificant in the overall cost of boating.*

Well. . . . They should at least buy perfumed TP. . . It might improve the smell of the diesel exhaust*
biggrin.gif

Larry B

"If you buy clean fuel and put it in a clean system and burn it there's no problem. " That rule applies for OTR trucks, farmers, the oilfield and marine use.

Perhaps true If the fuel is burned rapidly.

Sadly many "trawlers" have large fuel tanks and owners keep the same fuel aboard , for years.

Condensation is a daily deal , asphalting is a time problem , and should the water entrained in even the BEST fuel collect and pool , Bugs will be eating the fuel. and depositing waste into the tank.

Big difference between a 100 to 150G truck fuel tank that is emptied daily and most yachtty fuel use.

Filtering is sensible and required , the question is HOW?

To my mind biting the bullet and copying what the better boats do is simple , a centrifugal unit.

FF wrote:
Perhaps true If the fuel is burned rapidly.

Sadly many "trawlers" have large fuel tanks and owners keep the same fuel aboard , for years.
I guess its easy to criticize but it seems to me if a boat has fuel onboard for more than a year then the owner needs to ask himself why he owns the boat.* A seaside condo or a floathome doesn't have a bunch of mechanicals that need maintenance if that's all the boat really is.

Old Stone wrote:
*Good argument for not filling all tanks.
*It might alleviate fuel going stale,but tanks kept topped up are supposed to get less condensation water, less moist air to condense water. Though I`ve seen condensation on the inside of the cap, even with full tanks. BruceK

Have had a Gulf Coast toilet paper running continuously on my boat for 8 years. Yep 24/4. From tank to filter to Walbro pump to duel Racors (with 2 micron) to engine filters and back to tank. Racors have not been changed for 3 yrs....only then because I felt guilty...not needed. Engine filters..NEVER... For those that think they break up and clog the system...well continue to pay for your Racors, biocides and getting your tanks cleaned. I for one have the cleanest fuel on any boat in the Caribbean.

"I guess its easy to criticize but it seems to me if a boat has fuel onboard for more than a year then the owner needs to ask himself why he owns the boat.*"

A very few boats actually do have ocean ability, and these will have far larger tanks than most TT cruisers.

Best for them is multiple tanks with smallest held full (the rest empty) while not cruising.

FF

.. My question: what is the micron equivalent of a roll of toilet paper..

Go to the supermarket, dollar store or big box store. There are at least two dozen brands and types of toilet paper. Some are single ply (fine for marine sanitation systems), some are two ply. Some are quilted, some are perfumed. Some have more sheets than others or are wider or narrower than others.

My point is, there can be no "micron equivalent of a roll of toilet paper" unless you specify the brand and style of toilet paper. Even then, unless the manufacturer can provide that information or you can find a lab with the equipment and expertise to determine that information, you won't know the answer and neither will anyone else.

Now, considering that my engine is worth $25K (more or less), and a proper (Racor) fuel filter element costs approximately $30, I'm going with the fuel filter element. That's just me, but to me, it makes sense.

I guess its easy to criticize but it seems to me if a boat has fuel onboard for more than a year then the owner needs to ask himself why he owns the boat.* A seaside condo or a floathome doesn't have a bunch of mechanicals that need maintenance if that's all the boat really is.*

We all use our boats differently. All of us should (and probably do) ask ourselves why we own a boat from time to time. If we have a good answer, we keep it, if not, we sell it.

Unless you drain your fuel tanks, you will always have some old fuel aboard. It gets diluted each time you add fresh fuel, but there's still some in there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom