Old 02-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
menzies
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Fair question and not the first time I have been asked. If you consider compensation I have received for writing articles published in boating magazines, the sale of my book (no longer available) or assisting a builder with showing my boat in a show when no other models are available then yes. As you already mentioned i have been boating a long time (my entire life) and enjoy writing about our different boats starting many years ago with our 22' Mako in a free publication. That lead to our three Nordhavns and a few articles in different magazines. Then I wrote and self published a small book focused living aboard which was actually therapy for me while dealing with Mary's health issues that keep us sideline for a few years. Soon after I discovered TF which has been great fun. Bottom line is that I enjoy recreational boating and sharing our adventures with others. I'm surprised with the 100,000 plus views on our last thread and look forward to the same dialogs and help on this one. If someone can benefit from what we write about or learn from our mistakes then great. It's also no secret that if I have something factual and not flattering about one of my boats I talk about openly despite what the builder may think. Hope this answers your question.
OK, so not employed by a manufacturer or broker?

The reason I ask is that you had three Nordhavns built with only a year or so between them before ordering, now two Helmsmen the same. The depreciation on a boat for the first one or two years is pretty big. In fact, on the Nordhavns would run into seven figures across the boats.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote