New member, looking for background on a weird model.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn_Q

Vessel Name
Iris
Vessel Make
Sea Ranger 46
Ahoy!

We are the proud new owners of a 1987 Sea Ranger 46, hull number DBS45131A787.

Now, I've been aboard a lot of boats, even owned a few, but this boat's history has me perplexed. The irony of the situation, is that the boat has only had one owner, and his son is the steward who sold her to us. He knows little.

What I have been able to determine is that she was likely built by C&L. She has high performance mains (Lehman SP275's) and she was used sparingly (820 hours.)

What I'm hoping for is some info on the importer. Anyone familiar with DBS?

Cap'n Q
M/V Iris
Sea Ranger 46

Cap'n Q:

Is it a documented vessel? Was it /ever/ a documented vessel? Use the USCG Doc Number to get the abstract of title from the USCG. It can be requested via their Web site for a small fee.

The top few lines of it may show the original importer, information about who financed it originally, etc. In any case, the very top of the abstract describes where and when the vessel was manufactured, by whom, and who signed the manufacturer's certificate.

Send an email to the USCG's FOIA (Freedom of Information Act Request) email address and include this abstract as an attachment. Reference the document number and abstract in your email, quote that sentence, and request a copy of the referenced manufacturer's certificate.

They'll find it, get back to you with a fee, ask you if you'd like it, and then send it to you. In my case the fee was $4, paid by credit card, and, as requested, they sent me a copy as a .pdf attachment by email and also by snail mail.

Origin unknown

Unfortunately, she has never been documented. To boot, her hull id was incorrect on the State registration.

So, looking at that HIN...

DBS 45131 A787

MIC code = BDS
Serial number = 45131
Cert. date January 7, 1987

Looking up that MIC (Manufacturers Identification)

Turns up these results...for whatever they are worth...

FLOW CHAMBER MARINE (INC)

MIC: DBS Status: Inactive
Company: FLOW CHAMBER MARINE (INC)
Company Official: WHITEHEAD, ROBERT M.
Parent Company: ROBERT M WHITEHEAD D/B/A
Parent MIC:
Previous Company 1: SHALLOW DRAFT BOATS INC
Previous Company 2: DALE BERRY SPORTS CENTER (OOB
Previous Company 3: DALE BERRY MARINE SALE (OOB)
Previous Company 4:
Address: PO BOX 2150 City: CHIEFLAND
State: FL Zip: 32644
Fax: In Business: 4/18/1994
Out of Business: 6/30/2003
Date Modified: 4/28/2006
Type: Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats

Addtional Address: FACTORY: CHIEFLAND INDUSTRIAL PARK 513 SOUTHEAST 4TH COURT CHIEFLAND FL 32626

Sea Ranger 46

Soldboats data for all Sea Ranger 46' sold through YachtWorld.
If you can figure out which one it might be, I can get you the original sales listing with photos

Attachments

• Sea ranger 46.pdf
    99.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Good luck with your search.

Soldboats data for all Sea Ranger 46' sold through YachtWorld.
If you can figure out which one it might be, I can get you the original sales listing with photos

The third listing at Delta Boat Works is the one we just bought, thanks!

What is the ultimate goal here? What problem are you trying to solve? Why do you care who the importer of a boat 30 years ago was?

What is the ultimate goal here? What problem are you trying to solve? Why do you care who the importer of a boat 30 years ago was?

I care because the provenance of boats I own is important to me.

"I care because the provenance of boats I own is important to me."

If it is important you should have checked it BEFORE the purchase.

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

"I care because the provenance of boats I own is important to me."

If it is important you should have checked it BEFORE the purchase.

Silly troll, see OP. Seller did not know anything, as he was selling his deceased father's boat. I did my due diligence and am now a proud owner of a bristol yacht. The idea that one ought to cease researching the history of any vessel once purchased is laughable.

Good day.

Oh.....FF is no troll.

Just a different opinion....even some of us are past all the romance and look at vessels as utilitarian....and their history is irrelavent past maintenance logs.

Traditions are nice, but not all encompassing.

Last edited:
Man...tough crowd, tough crowd...I understand the lack of romanticism on the part of those who have earned a living in/on/around boats and water for many years. I also understand those of us whose boat is a member of the family. Lord knows they seem to cost as much as a child and demand as much attention. Our boat's family rank is below the wife, the dog and 2 of 4 children but above 2 other kids, house and cars. My after purchase deep dive into the boats history revealed that I knew and sailed with the original owner way back when. It lead to an email exchange with his nephew who spent many a weekend roaming Lake Michigan with his uncle as a 10 year old and started an interest in boating leading him to a career with Beneteau and now as a yacht broker. He had been searching for our boat for many years wondering if it was still alive as it had played a big part in his childhood. Also led to an afternoon cruise with him his wife and his 6 year old boy when they visited South Florida last November. Took a picture of him and his little boy leaning on the bow rail that matches one of him as a child doing the same. It was a great day for him and for us too having helped him relive some childhood memories. Had I not had an interest to learn more about our boat's history it wouldn't have happened.

End of human interest story. He won't admit it but right now Psneeld has a big tear in his eye. I know he does. :)

I know where your coming from, my Rose was built in 1953 about 5 nautical miles south of were she is docked now. I like to know everything there is about the process "birth" of my boat. I even know where her 3 sister ships are, only one still floats.

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing.

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing.

I like your happy enthusiasm.

My goal is for Dauntless to return to the boat yard where she was built in Taiwan in about 5 years.

My goal is for Dauntless to return to the boat yard where she was built in Taiwan in about 5 years.

That's a cool idea. How will you manage your fuel capacity? Our goal is to spend a few seasons in Kodiak, where I fished in the 90's.

Wow. Sorta puts my take a guy out on the boat story to shame! Talk about an adventure to look forward to. That is a pretty good one.

My Wife and I own a 1984 45' Sea Ranger. My understanding is that no 2 are alike and they were custom configured. I am still trying to find a couple of components for the boat that seem impossible to find like the side vents. Best of luck with the boat as my wife and I love ours...

and if you ever happen to find a place to purchase components for Sea Rangers, please let me know

Gosh, we understand your desire to know more about the history of Iris. We purchased a C&L 43 last spring and were delighted when we discovered the previous owner kept a blog about their adventures which included plenty of maintenance history. Good luck with your search and welcome to both TF and C&L’

Back
Top Bottom