View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 04:01 AM   #16
firstbase
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Man...tough crowd, tough crowd...I understand the lack of romanticism on the part of those who have earned a living in/on/around boats and water for many years. I also understand those of us whose boat is a member of the family. Lord knows they seem to cost as much as a child and demand as much attention. Our boat's family rank is below the wife, the dog and 2 of 4 children but above 2 other kids, house and cars. My after purchase deep dive into the boats history revealed that I knew and sailed with the original owner way back when. It lead to an email exchange with his nephew who spent many a weekend roaming Lake Michigan with his uncle as a 10 year old and started an interest in boating leading him to a career with Beneteau and now as a yacht broker. He had been searching for our boat for many years wondering if it was still alive as it had played a big part in his childhood. Also led to an afternoon cruise with him his wife and his 6 year old boy when they visited South Florida last November. Took a picture of him and his little boy leaning on the bow rail that matches one of him as a child doing the same. It was a great day for him and for us too having helped him relive some childhood memories. Had I not had an interest to learn more about our boat's history it wouldn't have happened.

End of human interest story. He won't admit it but right now Psneeld has a big tear in his eye. I know he does.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote