Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She is a very good looking and sexy boat in my eyes, happy sailing!!
I completely agree. That may just be my new favorite boat. Thanks, Fletcher 500 for posting that.

In one of the pictures the griddle/burner looked like it was built into the deck floor,! then I saw it is on a cabinet.

It states it can go 17kts in reverse. Face it, high speed reverse ain’t cheap.

Is this Australian humor? I’m not getting it.

Boy that one has seen its days gone by. I think they are trying to sell a legacy, not much left of the boat itself.

holy cow!

$ 180,000 for that thing.. you guys are getting screwed if you have to pay that kind of money for a boat in that condition.

Worth about $ 80,000.00 here in that shape. If that.

HOLLYWOOD

But we have free healthcare
and kangaroos. :D

holy cow!
$ 180,000 for that thing.. you guys are getting screwed if you have to pay that kind of money for a boat in that condition.
Worth about $ 80,000.00 here in that shape. If that.
HOLLYWOOD
Way too generous! Maybe the head looks good because they use the decks.:eek:

That reminds me an awful lot of the Orca.

giphy.gif

It is very well maintained especially the ER and the interior woodwork. Do you think the price is hoppen for discussion? :D

L
Called "Noah", "hopenn" is its registration. Apt, though. $180K? Here`s Hopenn.

While the interior looks well put together, I'll say the profile must be an acquired taste. In other words, it doesn't do much for me.

72' pilothouse motorsailer with 3000 mile range under power:

History
Designed and built in Port Pegasus, Stewart Island in 1936 by whaling captain Korinius Larsen as an auxiliary schooner to transport the owner’s family from Stewart Island to Bluff Harbour crossing Foveaux Strait, she was not long launched when World War II started and the NZ Government commissioned her as a camouflaged spy ship cruising the stormy Southern Ocean and later the Pacific from Solomons, Tarawa, to Fiji and Cook Islands.

Here after the war and a massive NZ Navy dockyard refit she was re commissioned as the Vice Regal yacht for New Zealand in the Pacific. For a time she was then the Royal yacht for Queen Salote of Tonga. Her brass, red carpet and mahogany was removed in the early 60s as she became the flagship for Otakau Fisheries, for whom she dredged for Oysters and lobster for 30 years until the Bonemia parasite shut that industry down.

Bought by her current owner, a 3 year refit followed - with reconversion into a ketch rigged expedition and charter vessel. Her maiden voyage was the Grade 3 oceanic search of the Sub Antarctic in 1999 for lost yachtsman and well known birdwatcher Gerry Clark and his famous yacht TOTORORE. In 2010, after a new rig and hull refit she completed a 10,000 mile voyage throughout the Pacific as support vessel for a fleet of 5 traditional Waka. Her present owner has completed several voyages from the Sub Antarctic to the Pacific completing an estimated 60,000 miles. Her standard of maintenance has always exceeded any survey requirements and she currently holds Category 1 Offshore Certificate.

Construction
The keel is a massive hardwood beam with classic Norwegian planking system utilizing exterior carvel long lasting NZ Kauri planks of 2 ½ inch copper fastened to grown handpicked Totara frames 9 x 9 inch at 12 inch intervals with an interior ceiling planking of 1 ½ inch Kauri, locking the structure and giving immense strength, making total hull thickness nearly 13 inches. The hull is copper (Muntz metal) sheathed.

1936 Larsen Norwegian Pilot House Ketch 1936 used boat for sale - boatersresources.com

Beautiful boat with fascinating history.
I note reference to being the official launch for Queen Salote of Tonga. There is a story of Queen Salote, accompanied by a young pageboy, riding in an open carriage at the investiture of Queen Elizabeth. One of two commentators reviewing the procession asks "Who is that with Queen Salote?"; the other, possibly Noel Coward, replies "I think it`s her lunch".:nonono:

Boat is listed as a 2013. Keel was laid in 1987 with several stops and starts along the way. No engine room pics and a lousy 2nd cabin for a boat of that size.

Ted

Good point about the lack of ER images. Those forward berths will only accommodate short term guests ;)

As seen in South Lake Union this weekend...very nice lines

It looks like the crew arranged an escape ladder for when it starts sinking off Cape Flattery this weekend

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 8.13.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 8.13.14 AM.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 110
Beautiful boat with fascinating history.
I note reference to being the official launch for Queen Salote of Tonga. There is a story of Queen Salote, accompanied by a young pageboy, riding in an open carriage at the investiture of Queen Elizabeth. One of two commentators reviewing the procession asks "Who is that with Queen Salote?"; the other, possibly Noel Coward, replies "I think it`s her lunch".:nonono:

Nice boat!

Montgomery Coaster

This was us in Buck’s Harbor, a great stop. The Montgomery Coaster is a one off, in that it was built in Crisfield,Maryland in 1990, just as the luxury tax went into effect. The builder went out of business after completing this one boat. We have lived aboard 6 months/year in Fairhaven,Ma since purchasing her in 2000. Great liveaboard, and yes, the bimini folds down to allow the mast/boom to haul a custom aluminum dinghy on top for offshore hops.

One of two commentators reviewing the procession asks "Who is that with Queen Salote?"; the other, possibly Noel Coward, replies "I think it`s her lunch".:nonono:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Ah, the dry English wit....

Last edited:
This was us in Buck’s Harbor, a great stop. The Montgomery Coaster is a one off, in that it was built in Crisfield,Maryland in 1990, just as the luxury tax went into effect. The builder went out of business after completing this one boat. We have lived aboard 6 months/year in Fairhaven,Ma since purchasing her in 2000. Great liveaboard, and yes, the bimini folds down to allow the mast/boom to haul a custom aluminum dinghy on top for offshore hops.
Welcome to the forum!
Interesting boat! I summer in Crisfield and enjoying seeing what the local builders produce. Who built your boat?

Ted

A Mr. Montgomery (first name unknown to me). He had been building fishing trawlers and thought to get into the recreational market, albeit with unforeseen bad timing. I was posting in response to an entry in 2015. A member of the forum from Bucks Harbor in Maine posted some pictures he took of the boat which generated a few comments and questions. Because it is a bit different and one of it’s kind, we get “what is that” fairly often from trawler fans.

I remember seeing your boat at a boat show when new. Very impressed by workmanship and design at the time. I have since then met Dean Montgomery (several times) and we have talked about your boat .
I would be able to pick that boat out in any crowded harbor as a Montgomery coaster. I wish he got to make more of them

We’re the third owners (since 2000) and have long thought he would sell a bunch of them today. Great setup for liveaboards with occasional guests.

We’re the third owners (since 2000) and have long thought he would sell a bunch of them today. Great setup for liveaboards with occasional guests.

The timing was poor for Dean building the Coaster. I certainly think he had a niche that would have proved profitable...Until the Luxury tax became a reality. It took him out as it did many builders.

Be still my beating heart
I have come back to this one a few times, every time I see her my heart skips a beat and I think surely she can't go any lower yet here she is.

. 75 Feet of ''WOW'', with proven world cruising capability
economical, reliable, Gardiner engines
Magnificently presented after extensive refit
Awesome family cruiser or corporate entertainer
Approx 3,500 nautical mile cruising range @ 8 knots
Commercial survey for 32 + crew

Powered by legendary 6LXB Gardiner engines "Shilo" has a long distance cruising range exceeding 3,500 nautical miles at a comfortable cruising speed of 8 knots. That's the equivilent of Sysney to Auckland and return without stopping to refuel.
Having recently had over $1,5000,000 spent on an extensive refit, "Shilo" presents in absolutely immaculate condition.

0_4.jpg

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...iser-make-an-offer-owner-wants-it-sold/227546

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom