Moonstruck
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Tips

Quote:
Egregious wrote:
- If the dock staff tells you to tie a certain way, listen to them; they know the area better than you do (in most cases)

- Find out where the commercial boats fuel up and call them on the VHF to see if you can also get $.45 / gallon cheaper fuel.* And another $.10 for cash.

- Auto parts stores are much cheaper than WestMarine for much of the stuff you need.
*All true for the most part. *I was going into Charleston City Marina, and the person told me to set up for a port side tie. *When we got inside that put a 2 1/2 knot tidal current on our stern. *There was just enough room for our single screw boat. *The current was on our stern. *The boat also backed to starboard. *It was difficult to say the least. *We got her in, and a spring *line to the dock. *We had to quickly kick the stern to srarboard by turning the wheel away and forward gear on the spring line. *I was not happy. *The next time they did the same thing. *I tooki a careful look at the situation, and set up with the current on the bow.

The point being that even a popular place like Charleston can give you the wrong direction for your boat. *You are the captain, and any damage is your responsibility. *Just double check the situation if there is any question.*
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote